Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

Healy is a poor replacement for anybody on Newstalk, full stop. Gavan Reilly or Frank Greaney would be better stand-ins but I guess they're usually tied up with their proper jobs.

Tork wrote: »
    Healy is a poor replacement for anybody on Newstalk, full stop. Gavan Reilly or Frank Greaney would be better stand-ins but I guess they're usually tied up with their proper jobs.

Agreed, can't listen to Jonathan, nothing against the man who seems to be a nice guy but the radio persona he adopts is very annoying. Sometimes he forgets and just talks in his normal voice and manner and is great, but that hasn't happened for a long time.

With mumsnet radio on Rte 10-12, I've found myself having to do some work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jonathan Healy in again today - just heard a piece on the Cork flooding and what an interview - the chap being interviewed hadn't even got to to discuss the matter when Healy cut him dead and went to an Ad break and the news. Steam powered broadcasting at its best. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

thankfully Pat back this morning !!

2smiggy wrote: »
    thankfully Pat back this morning !!

Thank God, especially if there is an interview with Health Minister Stephen Donnelly. Healy would have been fawning all over him. I hope Pat asks for accountabiity on the Covid tracker App and more importantly contact tracing collapse!!
    More and more draconian restrictictions, gardai all over the place, fines for the public and this is on top of 8 months of restrictions. All you hear from Government and NPHET is that the PUBLIC are not doing enough! The biggest elephant in the room here is that the HSE and Govt have failed miserably to get their act together. And they have the nerve to lecture and criticize us and decimate the economy by shutting down everything. I'm absolutely fuming.:mad:

Paul Reid and Stephen Donnelly should both be sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

[QUOTE=Deleted User;115015270

.......The biggest elephant in the room here is that the HSE and Govt have failed miserably to get their act together. And they have the nerve to lecture and criticize us and decimate the economy by shutting down everything.
    .[/QUOTE]

The government aren’t infecting us with COVID, we are doing it - its not the governments fault, it is our fault. Stay home, stop partying and clean your hands. It’s not rocket science and you can’t blame a government body for people not social distancing.

Stay home and stay safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The government aren’t infecting us with COVID,

I've heard a few people say this, we had a brutal lockdown, got the numbers close to 0 as possible, it was the Governments decision to not control our borders, that's on them not us. It was also the Government/NPHET/HSE decision to put the elderly patients back into nursing homes causing a huge spike in deaths and infections amougst care staff.
    Don't try and pin this on the ordinary man in the street, they done what was asked and it's down to the utter failure of Government that we are back in this position with no plan again, waiting for a vaccine is not a plan.

The government aren’t infecting us with COVID, we are doing it - its not the governments fault, it is our fault. Stay home, stop partying and clean your hands. It’s not rocket science and you can’t blame a government body for people not social distancing.

Stay home and stay safe

NO. I don't agree. 95% of us have been following guidelines. I never go in to my local shops without seeing 100% of mask wearing!
    This government paid money to people to staycation in Ireland!!! They encouraged us! They allowed colleges go back and GAA matches take place everywhere while most of us hardworking middle aged people have been doing our best. This is mismanagement of the highest order of the HSE. Paul Reid is a useless soundpiece! Donnelly is completely out of his depth. Messaging is all over the place and people are completely confused regarding restrictions today!
    EVERY SINGLE HOUSEHOLD got a bloody print out of "living with Covid" just 2 weeks ago. How much did that cost?? Now its in the bin because we have a new Level 5 with certain conditions and exemptions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

All you hear from Government and NPHET is that the PUBLIC are not doing enough! The biggest elephant in the room here is that the HSE and Govt have failed miserably to get their act together.

They haven't got everything right for sure, but I think they've gone pretty softly on us/the public...all carrot. It's only recently that they've started to call out the selfish twats who really are not doing enough or just giving two fingers to everything.
    Don't try and pin this on the ordinary man in the street, they done what was asked and it's down to the utter failure of Government that we are back in this position with no plan again, waiting for a vaccine is not a plan.

Ah the old "ordinary man in the street" line. Most of us have probably done what has been asked, but plenty have clearly not. And as already mentioned, the government aren't infecting us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Stay home and stay safe

Where did we hear this before...??
    The modern day version of 'WE ALL PARTIED'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Pat showing is true South County Dublin colours this morning.

Having a right go at inter County GAA continuing but going mad that he can't play a round of golf.

Has he forgot what happened in Tullamore. Or Clifden.

The question Pat didn't ask regarding kids in schools, was even when positive tests in schools are only 2%, surely a child can bring the virus into the school, give it to another child, though not infect them, and that child then gives it to their mother or father or granny when they get home? Is that not maybe why infection rates increased in the community?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

BPKS wrote: »

Having a right go at inter County GAA continuing but going mad that he can't play a round of golf.

Have you considered that just because he's wrong about golf doesn't mean he's wrong about GAA?

FFS, he's asking whats the difference between GAA and golf. He's asking for the logic behind the decision. He's not having a go at GAA he's having a go at the thought process behind it. Stephen Donnelly really struggling to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

NO. I don't agree. 95% of us have been following guidelines. I never go in to my local shops without seeing 100% of mask wearing!
    This government paid money to people to staycation in Ireland!!! They encouraged us! They allowed colleges go back and GAA matches take place everywhere while most of us hardworking middle aged people have been doing our best. This is mismanagement of the highest order of the HSE. Paul Reid is a useless soundpiece! Donnelly is completely out of his depth. Messaging is all over the place and people are completely confused regarding restrictions today!
    EVERY SINGLE HOUSEHOLD got a bloody print out of "living with Covid" just 2 weeks ago. How much did that cost?? Now its in the bin because we have a new Level 5 with certain conditions and exemptions!

Not sure where you got those stats? 100% mask wearing...ah c'mon.

All you've done in this post is blame and slag off everyone in the government/HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

That minister for health just comes across as a bumbling idiot.
    It’s scary that someone as clueless as him is in such an important job.

Have you considered that just because he's wrong about golf doesn't mean he's wrong about GAA?

To be honest I happen to agree that leaving golf clubs open for members who live within 5km of the course and restrict it to 2 balls would have been the way to go.

I also think that continuing inter County GAA is going to save more lives over the next 2 months than it will cost lives.

NPHET must take a lot of blame over how they managed sports activities over the summer.

First we were allowed go to a game. And not allowed go to the pub. Then we were not allowed go to the game but allowed go to the pub. So people start going to the pub to watch the game. And wait there to meet their brother, sister, son, grandchild after they come home from playing the game.

Then we were allowed go back to college and come in contact with people from all over the country. And then allowed go home at the weekend to play soccer or Hurling or football or go to the gym or golf club and go to the pub after it.

But it's easy just to go after the soft target which in this case is the GAA.

Again, Pat wasn't going after the GAA, he was trying to get Donnelly to explain why 15 teenagers in a 15-person Pod is acctebtable when 2 auld fellas can't go for a game of golf, and Donnelly wasn't able to answer.

FFS, he's asking whats the difference between GAA and golf. He's asking for the logic behind the decision. He's not having a go at GAA he's having a go at the thought process behind it. Stephen Donnelly really struggling to answer.

There are about 25 GAA games this weekend. 50 people per team meaning a total of 1250 people.

This will reduce down to 16, 8, 4, 2 and 1 games per weekend as the winter goes on.

How many people would be out golfing all over the country if they kept the courses open (which I already said I think they should have for members living within 5km of the club).

There are about 25 GAA games this weekend. 50 people per team meaning a total of 1250 people.

This will reduce down to 16, 8, 4, 2 and 1 games per weekend as the winter goes on.

How many people would be out golfing all over the country if they kept the courses open (which I already said I think they should have for members living within 5km of the club).

Which would have been a good answer for Donnelly to give. Instead he struggled to give a coherent answer. Pat 1 - Donnelly 0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The question Pat didn't ask regarding kids in schools, was even when positive tests in schools are only 2%, surely a child can bring the virus into the school, give it to another child, though not infect them, and that child then gives it to their mother or father or granny when they get home? Is that not maybe why infection rates increased in the community?

What's going on in schools is deceitful if they treated them like meat factories they'd blanket test, there deliberately trying not to find cases, local school has two leaving cert classes sent home until after the midterm, must stay at home but no test required, that's after two students getting sick and testing positive after two teachers tested positive. Were not treating them like other places to naturally enough you can't get the same positivity result.

Dr Jim McDaid talking a whole lot of sense!

To be honest I happen to agree that leaving golf clubs open for members who live within 5km of the course and restrict it to 2 balls would have been the way to go.

I also think that continuing inter County GAA is going to save more lives over the next 2 months than it will cost lives.

NPHET must take a lot of blame over how they managed sports activities over the summer.

First we were allowed go to a game. And not allowed go to the pub. Then we were not allowed go to the game but allowed go to the pub. So people start going to the pub to watch the game. And wait there to meet their brother, sister, son, grandchild after they come home from playing the game.

Then we were allowed go back to college and come in contact with people from all over the country. And then allowed go home at the weekend to play soccer or Hurling or football or go to the gym or golf club and go to the pub after it.

Please tell me how the GAA playing matches will save lives?

I'm not disagreeing with you that communication has been appaling, but that doesn't change the point that lockdown should be that, lockdown. I know people don't want to hear this but there are people in the hospital I work in that said coming out of the first lockdown was a mistake - and this is not with the benefit of hindsight, they were saying this at the time - and I said this on boards at the time too.

Dr Jim McDaid talking a whole lot of sense!

Any driving tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Entire course within 5km maybe.

However, I see it as slippery slope. Mountaineering/ Hill Walking could make the same claims as Golf Clubs. In fact, perhaps more solo/ family members. But then, without the 5km limit, the likes of Glendalough would be packed, again.

Or you allow both, and then why is solo cycling restricted to 5km? Or Running? Or Sailing? Until you have so many activities "allowed" that the 5km restriction is unenforceable.

The media have spend the last few months telling us that the restrictions are "confusing". Now there's not enough exemptions/ subtleties :rolleyes: Kenny as guilty as anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Any driving tips?

Mostly just vague references to “new science” and some, unnamed, “good people” involved with it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Oh even Pat is starting to laugh at Trump's madness.

About time.

Oh even Pat is starting to laugh at Trump's madness.

About time.

You really see some bizarre comments on this thread.

A few weeks ago he was being slated for being too harsh on Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

That Jess Kelly can be annoying at times !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You really see some bizarre comments on this thread.

A few weeks ago he was being slated for being too harsh on Trump.

Well I think people just find his nonsense funny in Ireland.

The media is finally beginning to reflect that.

Only a hard-core of nuts get very angry/supportive about someone that doesn't affect Ireland.

Advertisement