Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Pat introducing a liveline-like segment to his show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Agree.... Mabey as the previous poster mentioned its because of the season.... Hopefully content will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Just listening back to that interview with Nida Collins, I think that was her name. Sounds fairly simple really "your vanity project has gone down the drain". She needs to reconnect with reality rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Yea. I have no idea how she got on the show. It was a very simple celtic tiger case of a stupid borrower with stupid idea gets stupid amount of money from stupid lender and now is being stupidly stubborn. There are thousands of business people around the country with a far more genuine case for keeping their business going. I was wondering why Pat was so soft on her and then it turned out she had cancer.

And her justification for her business to be marked as special and saved from going under? She has some hippy dippy feeling that the old church is special and will help lots of people if only the bank would let her keep it. So she is cutting back everything else in her life to struggle to keep it. I'm surprised she didn't say a voice told her "if you build it they will come". She should have stuck to photography which it seems she was actually good at and was making a decent living from. Giving her the money to buy and renovate an old church where she would start a new business of vague new age hippy crap was irresponsible lending of the highest order. People should be forced to talk to an independent career advisor before doing stuff like this. The bank are doing her a favour by reposessing it and they should have done do years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Yep, this is the second day.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Its awful cheap and very nasty - the researchers must have run out of road on newsworthy topics. 'I've no all Ireland ticket' #sobs .
    FFC look and my user name for go sake - i cant get one either, i'm not ring PK!

No, jokes aside, it's a poor decision i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Was half expecting Pat to introduce Collins there.. I wonder will he ever make the mistake of saying "time for the Angelus.. Then early lunchtime sh1te music and tech fcuk ups up with Ronan Collins, and also a promo for Liveline with Joe Duffy lying about what 'might' be on the show"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Hats off to Kenny and team for todays show. Might I preface this by stating I have never been Kenny's biggest fan but you cant criticise his professionalism even if the odd time he's a little inappropriate and self-serving. I listened to most of the show today and was very impressed with the interview on location with a family whose daughter and two granddaughters were murdered in an arson attack. Pat devoted around 50 mins to the interview which covered the incident itself, the family's struggle with the loss and their subsequent struggle with the judicial system to get justice in the form of an appropriate sentence for the accused. I felt it was an hour of gripping radio.

Later in the show Pat dealt with the issue of the lack of resources to cater for those who have just left prison, no sign of Paddy O Gorman thankfully nor his underbelly voyeurism. The programme also did a great piece on the Billie Jean King , Bobby Riggs battle of the sexes tennis match back in the 70's.

All in all,it was a well researched and well presented programme by pat and team. I was glad to see the listener call- in portion of the show didnt happen today which is good. The idea of getting personal stories from listeners on the phone is fine as long as doesnt dominate the show everyday, the danger is that it'll turn into liveline number 2 which is not at all desirable. I think kenny and co have got the balance just right. They will certainly take listeners from rte, in fact I'll be surprised if Kenny has doubled tom Dunne's 50k listeners to 100k within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The interview with that unfortunate family was gripping radio & very deftly and compassionatly handled by Pat. It is very difficult not to see the sentencing system as skewed totally in favor of the criminal. It is unbelieveable that after taking 3 lives this man could be out in 7/8 years and walking the streets of the same small town. It would seem to me that while it is logical that someone can't serve consecutive life sentences if life means life but this is clearly not the case where a life sentence in this state has come to mean 7 or 8 years.
    At a very minimum we should be moving to a situation where the judge can identify a minimum period a criminal must serve before having the right to apply for parole.

On the Court of Appeal issue I wonder are we just doing away with one quango (Seanad) & setting up yet another one exclusively for the legal profession - to compensate them for their property losses perhaps? I don't like this consensus that this additional layer of judiciary is a no brainer. Why not make the judiciary & legal profession get their act together, modernise and stop behaving as if they were back in the 1800s? Right now I'm inclined to vote (1) Yes and (2) No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

i didnt catch the start of that interview and was unsure what it was about but revolved around murder. the mother really has no life from how she described the way she lives having the tv on all night and no christmas

• Advertisement

Pat's show on NT is just as good as his show on RTE if not better... I think the great thing about Pat is that he doesnt get involved in the emotion of any of the stories.. He just dispassionately (but respectfully) asks all the pertinent questions and lets the listener worrying about getting emotional.... None of the "Bart's People" type reporting that we get from Tubridy or Miriam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Pat's show on NT is just as good as his show on RTE if not better... I think the great thing about Pat is that he doesnt get involved in the emotion of any of the stories.. He just dispassionately (but respectfully) asks all the pertinent questions and lets the listener worrying about getting emotional.... None of the "Bart's People" type reporting that we get from Tubridy or Miriam.

I agree 100% with your post. This was one of the best sit downs I have heard Pat do, it was a heart breaking and infuriating story at the same time, wtf is wrong with our justice system and why dont our useless politicians do something about it?

Imagine how popular a minister or TD would be if they reformed the sentencing in our courts? They are so out of touch.

Anyway im off topic, well done to Pat and the NT team for this interview, the best in a long time.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So King Rat bertie ahern is sticking he's head out of the nest he's been hiding in the last few years!

Pat better nail him, the bloody gangster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

There should be a warning for listeners before someone with an Australian accent speaks on the Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

So King Rat bertie ahern is sticking he's head out of the nest he's been hiding in the last few years!

Pat better nail him, the bloody gangster.

He won't unfortunately, Pat said earlier Bertie is only on to talk about the Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

JM Skipton wrote: »
    He won't unfortunately, Pat said earlier Bertie is only on to talk about the Dubs.
    Will there be a whip-around afterwards. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

**** off Bertie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

mike65 wrote: »
    **** off Bertie

Thought Hoped that f*cker was dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Newstalk will make a bit of money from (irate) texters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This will be worse than his interview with Bono on the first day of the show.

Nobody wants to hear you doing Xpose style interviews, Pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

DubTony wrote: »

a nation now hissing at the radio...

To hell with what was agreed. The bollox has been hiding for the last 3 years so it's not as if Pat will lose a future opportunity to challenge him. Pat should slaughter him. It's what SOR would do........

DubTony wrote: »

Yea. A couple of years ago I heard they were hanging him in Leinster house but when I turned up with popcorn and a few rotton tomatoes it turned out they were only hanging a painting of him.

It's a bit much to think that he will come on to talk about football, but wont utter a word about the banking collapse other than to blame Lehmans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

touts wrote: »
    To hell with what was agreed. The bollox has been hiding under a rock for the last 3 years and probably wont be out again for another 3 years. It's not as if Pat will lose a future opportunity to challenge him. Pat should slaughter him. It's what SOR would do........

I agree with you I was only relaying what Pat said, I feel physically sick listening to him and I am a Dublin fan, as an aside he seems to be able to remember GAA facts going back 40 years pity his memory wasn't as clear for the tribunals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

There is a lot of worthier people who could talk about GAA than this fecker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

"Bertie knows his football"...............if he does it's about all he knows anything about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

touts wrote: »
    Yea. A couple of years ago I heard they were hanging him in Leinster house but when I turned up with popcorn and a few rotton tomatoes it turned out they were only hanging a painting of him.

:D:D:D:
    I agree with you I was only relaying what Pat said, I feel physically sick listening to him and I am a Dublin fan, as an aside he seems to be able to remember GAA facts going back 40 years pity his memory wasn't as clear for the tribunals

Yupp. And he said "WE" a couple of times. Which is a bit sickening.

I remember working down the country after the 2007 election, and one fellah said to me "you must be delighted that the Dublin fellah won again".
    I think the spit that came out of my mouth as I ranted about the corrupt little bollix hit the man in the face. I'd say he got the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

If only his father took him to macro-economics lectures instead :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The most devious of them all he was described as. And that's saying something when its haughey saying it about you!

****ing parasites!

Advertisement