Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,917 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is also an Irish misconception.

The Americans are and always have been pro British (English).

They regard themselves as cultural and political cousins, Democrat or Republican. Even JFK was more British leaning than any Irish leaning.

I had written out a more expansive response to this but remembered this speech from QT a couple of years ago.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1179884485904605186

US people go out of their way to declare Irish heritage, or Italian, or German, or Polish but there is no broad desire to claim ancestry from the UK.

In fact, most of the time when referring to the British politically, it is to point out that they fought to get rid of them, another reason why they would empathise with us of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Oh no! The shrill fascist twat is back!

A bit of an overstatement...the fascist bit
    Daz_ wrote: »
    Nice to have another view apart from the regular left wing Democrat Love in

I'd usually agree with that, but Seth never concedes or acknowledges any flaws with Trump. Pat does likewise in the opposite direction...one is as bad as the other when it comes to Trump analysis...yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I had written out a more expansive response to this but remembered this speech from QT a couple of years ago.

US people go out of their way to declare Irish heritage, or Italian, or German, or Polish but there is no broad desire to claim ancestry from the UK.

In fact, most of the time when referring to the British politically, it is to point out that they fought to get rid of them, another reason why they would empathise with us of course.

while the irish lobby in washington is strong and very strong for a nation of our size , we are not an ally in the way the UK is , only israel has closer ties with america than the UK

as for people in america referring to their irish ancestry but not their british ancestry

thats because the british were the founding fathers , peoples who are not the founding fathers tend to talk of the old country more as for a long time irish , jews and italians had to fight to be accepted as americans , people of british ancestry are far and away the largest group in the USA , its just it goes back so far , they dont count them anymore , its the same in the likes of Argentina , italians are often listed as the largest immigrant group , thats because the spanish are not counted as they were the founding fathers

the irish are the largest immigrant group in america after germans who are number one but only because those of english stock are not counted in the first place and because the english were the original americans going back to colonial times

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Pat tearing him apart.

Not what I heard...fairly ruffled Pats feathers today by questioning lazy assumptions that seem to pass as gospel by many radio/TV commentators.Was it Damian O Reilly who sounded like a complete child when attempting the same nonsense while interviewing some Trump supporter on the BOC show last weekend.
    Glad to see Trump on his way...but much of media in this country and sadly indeed the BBC in UK has developed into a gormless vehicle for groupthink.....can't be swallowing that type of propaganda either.

southstar wrote: »
    Not what I heard...fairly ruffled Pats feathers today by questioning lazy assumptions that seem to pass as gospel by many radio/TV commentators.Was it Damian O Reilly who sounded like a complete child when attempting the same nonsense while interviewing some Trump supporter on the BOC show last weekend.
    Glad to see Trump on his way...but much of media in this country and sadly indeed the BBC in UK has developed into a gormless vehicle for groupthink.....can't be swallowing that type of propaganda either.

If 10 media stations see a President behalf inappropriately and in doing so undermines the integrity of the electoral process in their country, and 9 of these stations report it as such, while the 10th suggests he may be right.

Are the 9 engaging in group think, or just being honest in accurately reporting what has happened?

• Advertisement

If 10 media stations see a President behalf inappropriately and in doing so undermines the integrity of the electoral process in their country, and 9 of these stations report it as such, while the 10th suggests he may be right.

Are the 9 engaging in group think, or just being honest in accurately reporting what has happened?

Absolutely not...if it's reasonable/obvious to suggest that he is behaving inappropriately.
    It clearly is to you and on this matter thats my feeling about it as well... but I suspect not to many media outlets, particularly in US ..and supporters who who would argue the case with you.
    Groupthink is not the preserve of one side or the other but disappointing to me who listens to mainstream media on this side of the world....which did at one time operate at higher standards of impartiality...but not now I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,532 ✭✭✭✭elperello

All any media outlet has to do is report Trump's presidency as it happens without comment.

He condemns himself at almost every juncture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It feels dirty doing this but a good example of the group think is the "fine people on both sides" line that get's thrown Trump's way.

From the 1min mark to the 2min mark you can get the context of that line and it's very different than how it's portrayed here.

There is sooooooo many things to legitimately have a go at Trump for and that's why things like this can be annoying.

I personally would not like to disagree with Seth Barrett Tilman on anything, I'm not even sure I'd like to wish him a good day in case he took it wrong, but he does have a point about the Irish media and Trump.

elperello wrote: »
    All any media outlet has to do is report Trump's presidency as it happens without comment.

He condemns himself at almost every juncture.

I agree...O Reilly pointed out to his guest that Trump had in effect encouraged people to consume bleach and followed on with more silliness and half truths along this line...only offering his guest the very simply opportunity to
    to question the hosts intelligence or integrity.This type of nonsense makes huge assumptions about the listeners own mental faculties as well...and repeatedly coming from well respected media sources does no favours to anyone.
    Trump is a deeply unpleasant character...so unwittingly offering listeners this chance to be sympathetic towards him is fairly dumb in my opinion

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It feels dirty doing this but a good example of the group think is the "fine people on both sides" line that get's thrown Trump's way.

From the 1min mark to the 2min mark you can get the context of that line and it's very different than how it's portrayed here.

There is sooooooo many things to legitimately have a go at Trump for and that's why things like this can be annoying.

I personally would not like to disagree with Seth Barrett Tilman on anything, I'm not even sure I'd like to wish him a good day in case he took it wrong, but he does have a point about the Irish media and Trump.

Haha... Tillman would probably throw a hissy fit if you said
    Hello..then call the guards on you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

America is more British than anywhere. Anglo Saxon world view was and is the dominant driver behind every institution. The Poles,Germans Irish are minority ethnic groups..The dominant group doesn't need to latch onto the motherland. Same thing occurs in Australia, Canada,New Zealand. Plus the English and to a lesser extent the Scottish never had the confidence issues or need to keep reaching for 'home'.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    America is more British than anywhere. Anglo Saxon world view was and is the dominant driver behind every institution. The Poles,Germans Irish are minority ethnic groups..The dominant group doesn't need to latch onto the motherland. Same thing occurs in Australia, Canada,New Zealand. Plus the English and to a lesser extent the Scottish never had the confidence issues or need to keep reaching for 'home'.

You're misunderstanding place of origin with cultural affinity.

We are all African if you go back far enough, but right now, in the 21st century, America has a greater cultural affinity with Mexico, Ireland, Italy, Poland than it does Britain.

As for English confidence issues. Have you been to the south of Spain. No shortage of Fish and chip bars playing Coronation Street for the diaspora. Can't get much more 'reaching for home' than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Irish heritage thing is meaningless, done for show. It means nothing.

The relationship between Britain and America is substantive, hardened by America's support during the Second World War, a war that Ireland stayed out of, much to the dislike of Irish Americans.

American networks devote huge attention to the British Royal Family, news from Britain in general. Nothing at all about Ireland.

I could go on. The reality is that most Americans know little or nothing about Ireland.

The Irish heritage thing is meaningless, done for show. It means nothing.

The relationship between Britain and America is substantive, hardened by America's support during the Second World War, a war that Ireland stayed out of, much to the dislike of Irish Americans.

American networks devote huge attention to the British Royal Family, news from Britain in general. Nothing at all about Ireland.

I could go on. The reality is that most Americans know little or nothing about Ireland.

Have a read of this when you have a few moments.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115219313

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Jesus! I thought that was some American ad. Those kids sound like yanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Have a read of this when you have a few moments.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115219313

I've always thought it was noticeable that you frequently hear of German-American, Italian-American, Irish-American, etc but the term English-American is simply not a term you ever hear. In fact you hear more about Scots-Irish over there than you ever do English-American. In saying all of that I do appreciate that the Mayflower brought the pilgrims and millions of people are alive today in the US because of them, but it still isn't a thing.

As part of Britain, throughout 1700s and 1800s England never really experienced the large volumes of emigration experienced in say Scotland or Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Pat is giving Mary Lou a tough time this morning

2smiggy wrote: »
    Pat is giving Mary Lou a tough time this morning

Well deserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Does anyone else think that this impeachment of the Judge is to distract from the vote on Leo this evening? I like Leo but I'm wondering why all of a sudden is this Judge being impeached.

Yeah, KENNY!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Does anyone else think that this impeachment of the Judge is to distract from the vote on Leo this evening? I like Leo but I'm wondering why all of a sudden is this Judge being impeached.

No. However government will be delighted with supreme court spat. SF decided for no confidence motion because previous Tuesday American election overshadowed anything that was going on in Ireland. This week is the vaccine and supreme court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RINO87

Yes. Along with him all of a sudden deciding to go chase the girl that threw a milkshake at him...... LOOK OVER THERE

Just listened to a really interesting discussion with George Parker and Jonathan Powell about Brexit, UK Biden...just to be followed by Bernard O'Shea and the "manopause"...ah Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Whose this eejit on now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cole wrote: »
    Just listened to a really interesting discussion with George Parker and Jonathan Powell about Brexit, UK Biden...just to be followed by Bernard O'Shea and the "manopause"...ah Pat

Flicked it on there discussion on Brexit was good. Even if John Major clip was stating the bleeding obvious in a flowery manner.
    I suppose you could call it thought provoking.

Then they had a fella on about 'the manopause'. Flicked around stations.
    Flicked back to see what in the name of jayus it was.
    Whose this eejit on now?

To me it sounded odd, a fella talking like the way many women would, analysing themselves on air. Introspective guff.

Plus he was very effeminate sounding, had all the intonations and pitch associated. Makes sense I thought, a gay fella on a 'journey'.
    But then he mentioned a wife. And I thought who is that overly effeminate straight man? Did not catch his name earlier.
    Then he started going on about his various shoes in a boot.

I switched it off.

Now I find (from this thread) it is Bernard O'Shea who has somehow carved out a successful career in RTE/Media. Fair dues to him as he appears to have limited talent, but has made the most of things.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Flicked it on there discussion on Brexit was good. Even if John Major clip was stating the bleeding obvious in a flowery manner.
    I suppose you could call it thought provoking.

Then they had a fella on about 'the manopause'. Flicked around stations.
    Flicked back to see what in the name of jayus it was.

Did the same...went to the CB show and caught the tail end of her giggling about movies/TV with Afric O'Connell (loike totes amazeballs goys) and ordering chocolate to eat while watching...off button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cole wrote: »
    Did the same...went to the CB show and caught the tail end of her giggling about movies/TV with Afric O'Connell (loike totes amazeballs goys) and ordering chocolate to eat while watching...off button

Exactly what I did! But, someone must listen to the stuff and like it? :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Exactly what I did! But, someone must listen to the stuff and like it? :D

I think CB and others are feeling like they're delivering the goods with the latest JNLR listenership figures showing gains across the station. I'm guessing a lot of that is because more people are at home during the recent 'lockdowns' and just have the radio on...almost background noise.

I'm also guessing there are plenty of listeners effing and blinding at the state of some of the shows that they're 'listening' to...I'd like to see the data on that. A bit like us lot on here;)

I didn't catch all of the show today. I heard some of his chat with an Irish American Trump supporter and a comment about whether Trump believes in democracy...fair point.

I haven't heard any outrage from Pat yet about what's going on in Hong Kong and China's two fingers to everyone...I presume it's coming...spread a bit of that outrage around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Pat is a gas man.

6 months ago he was raging that people were jogging and cycling cos they were spreading the virus.

Now he is suggesting that dozens of stalls be allowed on Henry Street as long as access is restricted by security and that people on the street wear masks.

He has lost the plot.

Advertisement