Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

never saw the appeal of Moore Street traders tbh, avoided like the plague, seemed rough out, kind of intimidating place..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

gourcuff wrote: »
    never saw the appeal of Moore Street traders tbh, avoided like the plague, seemed rough out, kind of intimidating place..

Not a place for those in a polo neck, suit jacket, chinos, and a pair of Dubarry shoes - certainly :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Not a place for those in a polo neck, suit jacket, chinos, and a pair of Dubarry shoes - certainly :D

Yeah! Or anyone else with modicum of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Once or twice I’ve gone to have a look in a hate-watch/WTF kinda way. It’s truly bizarre. The stuff is a mixture of stolen (I assume), fake, or just tacky. It’s hard not to laugh out loud at some of it. The accents are a delight to behold too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Morathi wrote: »
    Yeah! Or anyone else with modicum of sense.
    Once or twice I’ve gone to have a look in a hate-watch/WTF kinda way. It’s truly bizarre. The stuff is a mixture of stolen (I assume), fake, or just tacky. It’s hard not to laugh out loud at some of it. The accents are a delight to behold too. ;)

It appears some people view Moore street like a Victorian African village, like the ones they used to have at the world fair. OK.

Free country fair enough. But when people start assuming all the goods are stolen, that is when it reaches a new low.

If people don't like Moore Street don't go. It is not for everyone. But I think it is a nice Dublin tradition.Even browsing goods or listening to the chat and haggling - can be a nice experience. One of the last nice bastions of Dublin culture against its slow gentrification and over sanitisation.
    My auld fella loves those type of places still.
    Will be sad day if they disappear.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The Henry street stalls at Xmas are just so tacky and tasteless with people selling knock off goods illegally. I think it's an absolute disgrace it's allowed on one of our main streets. Clean it up and put some proper Xmas market type stalls there if we're going to have any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

It appears some people view Moore street like a Victorian African village, like the ones they used to have at the world fair. OK.

Free country fair enough. But when people start assuming all the goods are stolen, that is when it reaches a new low.

If people don't like Moore Street don't go. It is not for everyone. But I think it is a nice Dublin tradition.Even browsing goods or listening to the chat and haggling - can be a nice experience. One of the last nice bastions of Dublin culture against its slow gentrification and over sanitisation.

I lived near there during my UCD days in the 90s, some great spots around there back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,917 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The Henry street stalls at Xmas are just so tacky and tasteless with people selling knock off goods illegally. I think it's an absolute disgrace it's allowed on one of our main streets. Clean it up and put some proper Xmas market type stalls there if we're going to have any at all.

Define 'proper'.

Exaggerate much? I didn’t say all, and I included an “I assume” in brackets.

Define 'proper'.

Like what they have in Edinburgh, London, and all over Europe. Wooden huts etc. They used to do a strip of them at St Stephen's Green which wasn't great but it was nice.
    Counterfeit plastic tack, townie aul ones shouting, and illegal cigarettes doesn't really do it for me.

• Advertisement

Like what they have in Edinburgh, London, and all over Europe. Wooden huts etc. They used to do a strip of them at St Stephen's Green which wasn't great but it was nice.
    Counterfeit plastic tack, townie aul ones shouting, and illegal cigarettes doesn't really do it for me.

So same old same old, why go anywhere else if everything is the same?

I've visited and enjoyed Christmas markets throughout Europe and the US but don't think a part of Ireland's/Dublins cultutal heritage should be changed just because it doesn't do it for some people and others only view it as a novelty act to sneer at.

I've visited and enjoyed Christmas markets throughout Europe and the US but don't think a part of Ireland's/Dublins cultutal heritage should be changed just because it doesn't do it for some people and others only view it as a novelty act to sneer at.

You do realise it's been cancelled because of the pandemic and not because some people you perceive as snobs don't like it?

It's not my cultural heritage, and I don't want it to be. It's a few people from the flats selling illegal stuff and it's so bloody tacky it makes me avoid the street.
    Don't worry, I can't see it going anywhere any time soon, it'll be there whenever we open up again.

It's not my cultural heritage, and I don't want it to be. It's a few people from the flats selling illegal stuff and it's so bloody tacky it makes me avoid the street.
    Don't worry, I can't see it going anywhere any time soon, it'll be there whenever we open up again.

Who knew we could avoid something we didn't like instead of denigrating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm Central European and I always find it entertaining how tourists find wooden tack and knitted sleepers the height of sofistication. As native the only reason we would visit Christmas markets for was mulled wine. Last year when I was in Edinburgh we ended buying a whole pile of junk they were selling. I can guarantee you I would have no interest in it if I was local. Do you really think Germans visiting a market in Munich think to themselves great I can buy knitted gloves and wooden nativity sets? The grittier less glamorous markets are the ones that serve locals, the picture perfect huts are for tourists. Cities that serve only tourists and commuting workers the ones that are hollowed out by Covid. That's why London and Dublin were hit harder than most continental cities. I don't know if Moore St. market will be there this year neither I care about what they sell but it's the closest thing to authenticity that Dublin has.

Yes German Christmas markets are lovely but at least when they are selling you pretzels and mulled wine in Munich they are selling you sanitised version of their past. Move that Christmas market to Dublin and you just imported tacky version of someone else's tradition.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm Central European and I always find it entertaining how tourists find wooden tack and knitted sleepers the height of sofistication.

I don't see it as that as all, but some are pleasant to walk around. I'm just using it as a comparison to the carry on on Henry St every year. I don't particularly want any Xmas markets in Dublin, but I certainly don't want that mess on Henry St every year.

I don't see it as that as all, but some are pleasant to walk around. I'm just using it as a comparison to the carry on on Henry St every year. I don't particularly want any Xmas markets in Dublin, but I certainly don't want that mess on Henry St every year.

That mess in Henry Street still serves some locals with a bit of junk they want to buy. Ireland doesn't overly have markets but if it did you'd know that for every picture perfect market there is another one off the prime location selling fake addidas track suits next to stalls with 'organic' lettuce that was previous day sprayed with all sorts of pesticides. And that's were the locals shop. It's part of city/town being accessible even to it's poorer inhabitants.

I don't know if Moore St. market will be there this year neither I care about what they sell but it's the closest thing to authenticity that Dublin has.

Doesn't say much for Dublin. :pac:

There’s more shoyte being pedaled about how great Moore St. is in the last few pages than on the street itself.

Doesn't say much for Dublin. :pac:

Why? Dublin doesn't overly have continental style markets. At least not anymore but it has other things that are genuinely authentic to Ireland. We might visit Istanbul for spice or grand bazar. They are part of it's history although I doubt that's the place where locals buy their carpets or at least pay the prices tourists do. However nobody visits Istanbul for Turkish pubs.

Dublin has it's own sites that attract visitors but the markets are for locals and offer what locals buy. Putting up wooden huts in country with one of the worst deforestations in Europe is about as authentic as Disney's version of Neuschwanstein.

• Advertisement

So, to clarify, you think the Moore Street traders are "the closest thing to authenticity" that Dublin has?

I want to be fair here, and make sure I'm not misrepresenting what you posted.

So, to clarify, you think the Moore Street traders are "the closest thing to authenticity" that Dublin has?

I want to be fair here, and make sure I'm not misrepresenting what you posted.

I think they are product of local community for local community. It's not overly aesthetic and it's not the most appealing stuff but not everything in cities has to be aimed at well off people. As long as you have social housing and subsidised rent in city centre stuff like that will be authentic.

It's the most authentic type of Christmas market Dublin has. Unless you think Alpine style wooden huts selling mulled wine is something that's Ireland is all about.

I think they are product of local community for local community. It's not overly aesthetic and it's not the most appealing stuff but not everything in cities has to be aimed at well off people. As long as you have social housing and subsidised rent in city centre stuff like that will be authentic.

It's the most authentic type of Christmas market Dublin has. Unless you think Alpine style wooden huts selling mulled wine is something that's Ireland is all about.

And to think some people accuse me of being a snob on boards....:rolleyes:

And to think some people accuse me of being a snob on boards....:rolleyes:

Do you have anything else to contribute but snarky remark?

Actually don't bother answering I already know that's the limit of your capabilities. If it helps I don't think you are a snob just a wannabe one.

Do you have anything else to contribute but snarky remark?

Actually don't bother answering I already know that's the limit of your capabilities. If it helps I don't think you are a snob just a wannabe one.

The irony of your post is once again I assume lost on you?

Oh sorry, I wasn't allowed to reply. :rolleyes:

Like Pat, I'm still confused. Was it Grogans that were selling it or not?

Edit: Why didn't the senator call the gardai instead of waiting until Monday morning and calling Pat Kenny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,532 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's already illegal to have drinks parties on the street in Dublin.

Bye law here - https://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/32178/1/Intox%20Bye-Laws%202008.pdf

All they need to do is enforce it and let someone who wants to buy a pint to take back to their house to drink carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Healy-Rae klaxon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Healy-Rae klaxon

He's speaking a lot of sense in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Leprechaun features speaking nonsense as usual, Irish people can't consume alcohol sensibly.

Advertisement