Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Going round in circles...this is pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Cole wrote: »
    Going round in circles...this is pointless

Pats schooling him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

He's speaking a lot of sense in fairness.

Absolutely.

Pat is turning into a grumpy old man.

Looking for problems just to start an argument.

"Look at them in a nice way"...yeah Michael that'll work:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

"I've no monopoly on being right"

Say what you like about Michael Healy Rae, great turn of phrase.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Following on from Healy Rae's argument for the Gardai to encourage, talk nicely etc. Of course they should use that tactic when appropriate, but some people just don't respect laws, regulations...or other people. Just listen to those homeless guys getting robbed and abused on the streets. Some people respond to the carrot approach, but others need the stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Healy-Rae klaxon
    I couldn't get my Alexa to mute fast enough. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Healy-Rae generally seems like a clown to me, but he was largely correct earlier.

Pat is turning into a proper tabloid outrage machine these days.

Pat is turning into a proper tabloid outrage machine these days.

I must be listening to a different show to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,501 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Leprechaun features speaking nonsense as usual, Irish people can't consume alcohol sensibly.

There's always the uncomfortable grain of truth in the stereotype. Very immature drinkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I must say that Pat does to me sound frustrated around Covid. Weeks ago he'd almost send any school kids gathering in park without masks to prison.

There's always the uncomfortable grain of truth in the stereotype. Very immature drinkers.

Your username is very apt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Pat interviewing Andy Cole at the moment.

This is the 2nd time in a week or so that he was dropped into a conversation with a quest that he is friends with Mick McCarthy.

I can only assume that Pat kept stum during the Sports segments when the news of Micks golden handshake was announced last March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Donnelly on now. Oh dear he's such a spoofer, so full of sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

After all that Pat encouraging people to come to Dublin at Xmas time ffs!!

Donnelly on now. Oh dear he's such a spoofer, so full of sh1t

Did you see him on the news last night? He said he will be meeting with the Garda Commissioner to discuss Gardai powers and resources for tackling people drinking on the street. Catriona Perry asked him should he not have done this sooner, and he tried to make it seem like last weekend was the first time any group of people were gathered together since March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Did you see him on the news last night? He said he will be meeting with the Garda Commissioner to discuss Gardai powers and resources for tackling people drinking on the street. Catriona Perry asked him should he not have done this sooner, and he tried to make it seem like last weekend was the first time any group of people were gathered together since March.

He must have missed the twitter outrage after that bar in Temple Bar, Killarney, Kilkee, Cork.

Our public representatives now seem to be pressurised into changing legislation based on social media videos and the ensuing 36 hours of outrage from it.

Dangerous place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Twitter is a scourge. What started out as a platform with good intentions (I think!) has turned into a cesspit of misinformation and polarisation.

And I am aware of the irony of posting this on Boards but I feel that Boards is at least more moderated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,917 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Twitter is a scourge. What started out as a platform with good intentions (I think!) has turned into a cesspit of misinformation and polarisation.

And I am aware of the irony of posting this on Boards but I feel that Boards is at least more moderated.

I wouldn't quite go that far.
    We can each choose who we follow and whether or not to take what is presented to us at face value or to use it as a comparison as we do further research.

Is anyone really listening to or influenced by Kevin_8345321124?

The polarisation and misinformation was always there as people with money sought to present a narrative but Twitter allows people to respond v quickly to counter a point. The term 'ratioed' is interesting in this respect and Laura Keunnsberg is a very prominent political journalist who frequently experiences it in relation to her tweets about the UK government and in particular a 'Downing St source'.

Outside of social media, the picture she paints would not be challenged so much? It doesn't mean categorically she would have been wrong then, or is now, but Twitter has created an interesting dynamic where such commentators are rapidly challenged and watching things in this way and reading responses can be more information than the original story.

(Check out Laura's tweets and the reaction to them about someone who challenged Boris Johnson in the corridor of a Hospital before last years General Election)

I wouldn't quite go that far.
    We can each choose who we follow and whether or not to take what is presented to us at face value or to use it as a comparison as we do further research.

Is anyone really listening to or influenced by Kevin_8345321124?

The polarisation and misinformation was always there as people with money sought to present a narrative but Twitter allows people to respond v quickly to counter a point. The term 'ratioed' is interesting in this respect and Laura Keunnsberg is a very prominent political journalist who frequently experiences it in relation to her tweets about the UK government and in particular a 'Downing St source'.

Outside of social media, the picture she paints would not be challenged so much? It doesn't mean categorically she would have been wrong then, or is now, but Twitter has created an interesting dynamic where such commentators are rapidly challenged and watching things in this way and reading responses can be more information than the original story.

(Check out Laura's tweets and the reaction to them about someone who challenged Boris Johnson in the corridor of a Hospital before last years General Election)

I'm not 'on' Twitter but I occasionally check a comment(s) or reactions to something, and while I think you make a fair point about it allowing people to challenge narratives/ comments, the level of opinionated, moronic, echo chamber type stuff I've seen just makes me conclude that it is a depressing "cesspit"...every fecker thinks they know best.

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »
    I'm not 'on' Twitter but I occasionally check a comment(s) or reactions to something, and while I think you make a fair point about it allowing people to challenge narratives/ comments, the level of opinionated, moronic, echo chamber type stuff I've seen just makes me conclude that it is a depressing "cesspit"...every fecker thinks they know best.

I understand and think that would not be an uncommon experience if just dropping in to it. If you have an account and follow people, their responses to topics will generally be shown to you first so you have less need to wade through all the nonsense.

You also become accustomed to just flicking past the irrelevant comments nearly without seeing them.

I understand and think that would not be an uncommon experience if just dropping in to it. If you have an account and follow people, their responses to topics will generally be shown to you first so you have less need to wade through all the nonsense.

You also become accustomed to just flicking past the irrelevant comments nearly without seeing them.

Problem with that is it creates the echo chamber. People only end up looking and listening to people they agree with mostly.

Problem with that is it creates the echo chamber. People only end up looking and listening to people they agree with mostly.

Not necessarily if you follow people with typically alternate views, or still read the noteworthy comments.

For example, I follow AOC, she may post something which is responding to or quoting someone of very different views. Certainly many reponding directly to her would fall in to the echo chamber category but if reading the top few responses, and the original message and responses to that person would give a more holistic view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

I think it's fine for "light" topics, but trying to have weighty discussions of social media is like pulling teeth, and leads to misunderstandings, breeding animosity.

And yes, I realise the irony. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

BPKS wrote: »
    He must have missed the twitter outrage after that bar in Temple Bar, Killarney, Kilkee, Cork.

Our public representatives now seem to be pressurised into changing legislation based on social media videos and the ensuing 36 hours of outrage from it.

Dangerous place to be.

Ah shur it's only a tiny minority who are breakin de rules...at least this repetitive limp wristed B/S response gets exposed for what it is when this type of video gets posted...its far more widespread than this unless you're wearing the mask over your eyes..social solidarity my arse...enforcement ..god forbid the Garda might actually try it out.This lot are only winging it until a vaccine becomes available

Not necessarily if you follow people with typically alternate views, or still read the noteworthy comments.

For example, I follow AOC, she may post something which is responding to or quoting someone of very different views. Certainly many reponding directly to her would fall in to the echo chamber category but if reading the top few responses, and the original message and responses to that person would give a more holistic view.

Most people don't do that though. Especially people who are sensationalist on both sides of an argument. I can see why journalists and the like love it gives them news instantly - topic of conversations - and can spin peoples comments whichever way they please depending on their agenda.

I not sure Pat is really a fan of it but just is given twitter highlights so he can mention them to get people talking?

Morathi wrote: »
    I think it's fine for "light" topics, but trying to have weighty discussions of social media is like pulling teeth, and leads to misunderstandings, breeding animosity.

And yes, I realise the irony. :pac:

Yeah, a punctuation mark, or comma, missing. In a limited number of characters where the poster is trying to shorter words to make it succinct. Receipe for disaster and manipulation.

Pat managed to cover up calling the name of the 'No Ordinary Joe' Documentary 'No Ordinary Man'.

Skilfully still managing to sound authoritative and correct in tone, even though he was wrong.

Doc Maker: "Actually it is called 'No ordinary Joe' "

Pat: "Well, (pause) Joe was no ordinary man, both (pause) would certainly apply"

--

Made me laugh. Not for Pat to admit he got something wrong and made a balls of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Is this Saipan day on Newstalk ?, every programme is featuring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is this Saipan day on Newstalk ?, every programme is featuring it.

Even Moncrieff has a bit on it. Moncrieff! About football!!

Advertisement