Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Even Moncrieff has a bit on it. Moncrieff! About football!!

It was a very awkward interview.

Did they make Ciara Kelly talk to someone about it too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

BPKS wrote: »
    It was a very awkward interview.

Did they make Ciara Kelly talk to someone about it too?
    BREAKING NEWS:
    Football manager and player have a disagreement at a major tournament.. Player walks out in a sulk.

This all happened 18 years ago. Only in Ireland would this still be news. What are we like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Roger_007 wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS:
    Football manager and player have a disagreement at a major tournament.. Player walks out in a sulk.

This all happened 18 years ago. Only in Ireland would this still be news. What are we like?

But the pitch was like a car park at the end of the day etc etc. :D

Feck all to talk about now except covid19 - judges and covid19, RTE and covid19, Sinn Fein and covid19, Fine Gael and covid19 etc

At the time Roy Keane was one of the few live internationally known symbols of Ireland after U2 in fairness.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,918 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Is this Saipan day on Newstalk ?, every programme is featuring it.
    Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Even Moncrieff has a bit on it. Moncrieff! About football!!
    BREAKING NEWS:

Well, America is insistent that the views and awareness of the world by a few men at a time before the Industrial revolution and when the countries population was 1% of what it is today is a sufficient way to prepare to govern the country.
    And the UK recently expressed a desire to turn the clock back 40 odd years in terms of their engagement with the world.

At least all we're doing is having a chat about times past. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Is this Saipan day on Newstalk ?, every programme is featuring it.

Couldn't understand it myself. What was the occasion? I was heading home this evening and they even had the 'kit lad' from the U21 team talking about it.
    Why?

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Couldn't understand it myself. What was the occasion? I was heading home this evening and they even had the 'kit lad' from the U21 team talking about it.
    Why?

Was he on to talk about Saipan? Or the passing of Maurice Setters, Charltons assistant.

Didn't hear the piece but as Setters passed away today, maybe he was being discussed.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Why?

It was voted one of the 20 most important events in Irish history last 20 years in some poll or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Was he on to talk about Saipan? Or the passing of Maurice Setters, Charltons assistant.

Didn't hear the piece but as Setters passed away today, maybe he was being discussed.

Just saw that now on 6.1. Both gone this year. I don't think we'll see the likes again from the Irish soccer team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

BREAKING NEWS:

We're a crackpot country ...always wallowing in the past and not only that but with a narrow view of that past thanks to the twisted 'republican' version of history pumped into so many youngsters in school.
    Ironically there's a proverb in Gaelic which goes 'Is fearr féachaint amháin romhat ná dhá fhéachaint id' dhiaidh'...better one look ahead than two looks behind.
    Good advice there I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Felt like Pat didn't have much faith in David McWilliams and his leprechaun economics today, it didn't feel like he was sold on the how feasible it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Saipan yesterday, it is 9/11 today it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

BREAKING NEWS:

+1

it wasnt that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things , Roy Keane rows with his own mirror first thing every morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is Newstalk 20 years old?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really not in the mood to reminisce about September 11th at the moment.

Odd decision by Newstalk.

Is Newstalk 20 years old?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really not in the mood to reminisce about September 11th at the moment.

Odd decision by Newstalk.

They were 18 in April 2002 so we have to suffer/enjoy it in two years.

According to Newstalk this thing they have on now is simply "The 20 most official moments of the last 20 years" - as chosen by listeners.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-newstalk-breakfast/the-20-most-influential-moments-of-the-last-20-years-4

It will go on for four weeks.

It seems to be just filler as little is happening in the world/nationally due to covid19 and it will fill the time until Christmas.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-hard-shoulder/most-influential-moments-of-the-last-20-years

They were 18 in April 2002 so we have to suffer/enjoy it in two years.

According to Newstalk this thing they have on now is simply "The 20 most official moments of the last 20 years" - as chosen by listeners.

It will go on for four weeks.

It seems to be just filler as little is happening in the world/nationally due to covid19 and it will fill the time until Christmas.

That's actually not such a bad idea is it?

That's actually not such a bad idea is it?

Yeah but borrowing a page from your train of thought for once. Given covid19 etc wouldn't it be better to pick nice and uplifting moments top 20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

BREAKING NEWS:

I will never understand why this country is so obsessed with Saipan. Even a musical!

It makes me cringe every time I hear it being talked about again, and again, and again.

Pat just read out a text along the following lines which tells a lot about both the listener and Pat:

"Walking along the sea front this cold morning there was lots of child minders and joggers around. It was amazing to see the amount of vapour coming from these joggers and child minders".

The premise was the spread of Covid from somebodys breath.

Now I know Pat wanted to ban jogging in March and April, now it seems his listeners are going after childminders for some strange reason.

Pat just read out a text along the following lines which tells a lot about both the listener and Pat:

"Walking along the sea front this cold morning there was lots of child minders and joggers around. It was amazing to see the amount of vapour coming from these joggers and child minders".

Now I know Pat wanted to ban jogging in March and April, now it seems his listeners are going after childminders for some strange reason.

Why do you even listen to Pat Kenny. You seem to despise him.

I've said before I think some people don't realise that the texts he reads out aren't his own opinion, he reads out all sides of an argument. What reflection does the that text he read out have on him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

He rarely responds to them either, he just reads them and let's people make their own decision, which I like. Yates did it as well, and even Hook. From what I've heard, Yates' replacement does as well.

It's in stark contrast to Moncrieff, who responds to every message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Or perhaps it was an amazed comment on the actual observable visual spectacle of how much breath the average person expels? Which wouldn't have been observable in any other context.

So, rather than "ban joggers", maybe it was "wow, look how much/how far breath can go; probably a good idea after all to distance indoors and wear a mask, eh?"

Or perhaps it was an amazed comment on the actual observable visual spectacle of how much breath the average person expels? Which wouldn't have been observable in any other context.

So, rather than "ban joggers", maybe it was "wow, look how much/how far breath can go; probably a good idea after all to distance indoors and wear a mask, eh?"

My point was really why the texter emphasised child minders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Not sure I'd read too much into it. Unless it was a class-based comment about 'the help' using the seafront!

But how does it reflect on Pat when all he did was read out the text?

Isn't that a question for the texter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,538 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Only a guess but maybe the texter was referring to the children not wearing masks rather than the actual minders and either Pat or the texter phrased it badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Morathi wrote: »
    He rarely responds to them either, he just reads them and let's people make their own decision, which I like. Yates did it as well, and even Hook. From what I've heard, Yates' replacement does as well.

It's in stark contrast to Moncrieff, who responds to every message.

Moncrieff can be a oh-so-woke smarmy condescending old git at times when a txter holds a contrary view to himself imv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Not to take away from an important issue, but between Pat and his two guests, this discussion on climate change sounds soooo middle class, first world problems.

HEALY ALERT

HEALY ALERT

HEALY ALERT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

HEALY ALERT

HEALY ALERT

HEALY ALERT

And one of the first pieces he has on is about the justice system being too tough on people from disadvantaged backgrounds. At least he's predictable

Advertisement