Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

now another maniac on Rodric O'Gorman. Giving 5 weeks paid leave for having a child for each parent.

Well at least it's not the employer that is expected to pay for all this (surprisingly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What in the name of jesus is this?

Why is this woman getting airtime to talk aboyt her water? What amI missing here??

I turned the radio off..
    Did she mention it 66 minerals in the water !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

What in the name of jesus is this?

Why is this woman getting airtime to talk aboyt her water? What amI missing here??

Every story cannot be about Dublin :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

2smiggy wrote: »
    now another maniac on Rodric O'Gorman. Giving 5 weeks paid leave for having a child for each parent.

Well at least it's not the employer that is expected to pay for all this (surprisingly)

What's wrong with that? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

CIF gave Tom Parlon a handy job after his failed career as a TD
    link

that about sums up the 'mighty' CIF

Ah yes I remember those signs of his stating you were entering 'Parlon Country' as you were driving back to your home town. Gives an insight into the mentality of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

jay0109 wrote: »
    Every story cannot be about Dublin :pac:

The Healy Raes were unavailable today.

dulpit wrote: »
    What's wrong with that? :confused:

nothing if you are receiving the time off and payment. A lot of hassle and expensive ,if it ends up, that the employers end up paying for the 5 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

nothing if you are receiving the time off and payment. A lot of hassle and expensive ,if it ends up, that the employers end up paying for the 5 weeks.

Employers > Employees?

dulpit wrote: »
    Employers > Employees?

perhaps I'm the one paying ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Does that Luke O'Neill fella take a breath when talking??? Pat asks simply question, gets a monologue for an answer!

And how many times does he say "you see"

Listen in tomorrow and count lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,538 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Does that Luke O'Neill fella take a breath when talking??? Pat asks simply question, gets a monologue for an answer!

And how many times does he say "you see"

Listen in tomorrow and count lol

I fit wasn't for C19 we would probably never have heard of him.

All those years in Trinity working away and then his hour arrives.

Great value as a radio contributor because as you say he just talks away.

The "you see" is just a verbal tic like "you know" or "basically", can be annoying but then he's not a radio professional.

elperello wrote: »

The "you see" is just a verbal tic like "you know" or "basically", can be annoying but then he's not a radio professional.

Ah I know, he is not that bad actually. He is informative and him and Pat seem to have a good relationship. I guess his 15mins of fame is paying off.

Fair play I guess!

he's enthusiastic , probably a bit too enthusiastic, but was better than all the doom and gloom over the last 9 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I still wonder if he was the 'expert' who told us before the pandemic reached our shores that Ireland "might" see a case. It's so long ago now that I can't find any reference to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I still wonder if he was the 'expert' who told us before the pandemic reached our shores that Ireland "might" see a case. It's so long ago now that I can't find any reference to it.

I'm weary of by-now 'celebrity' experts and their crystal ball gazing, they get switched off here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ah I know, he is not that bad actually. He is informative and him and Pat seem to have a good relationship. I guess his 15mins of fame is paying off.

Fair play I guess!

Pat gets to show off his mental arithmetic skills to Luke :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Here's one for all the single ladies.

535811.jpg

Treppen wrote: »

535811.jpg

4th beegee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Expunge

You gotta hand it to him.

73 years old next month, he sounds at least 20 years younger on air. He's looked after those vocal chords really well over the years and is one of those rare people who have fulfilled their obvious potential and continues to do so.

We may quibble or not about the up and down quality of his show on Newstalk or indeed his political views in recent times but as a pro he is the example to be followed by the younger ones. (anyone under 70)

Think of some of the other top level broadcasters of his generation who sounded increasingly disinterested and cranky towards the end of their time on air.

He's on there now reading the copy for some puffy little text-in competition and delivers it with the same punchy enthusiasm as anything else he has to deliver.

A consistent pro all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

elperello wrote: »

Never have heard of him?

He's been on Pat's show for years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Blood hell, hard believe he's that age, really is. I only listen to him now (switch forward and back between himself and Claire) and some of the weekend blocks (pick and choose some of the otb pods) that's about it. I used to listen to newstalk all day, really has gone down hill last while. Find myself turning it off and listening to podcasts, will be interesting to see how JNRL figures look, I think I'm most disappointed by Cieran C, I used to find him ok on Breakfast, but he is brutal on the drivetime slot.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I only came on to mock Pat and his willful ignorance in pronouncing Greta Thunberg as Greta Thunbereee.
    Thankfully I checked before posting and indeed Pat is correct. Thunberg is pronounced Thunberee. I must check Jerry Seinfield next.

On the Luke O'Neill and not knowing who he is, as someone posted he's a regular for years on the show and even had a regular slot on Sean Moncrieff. Very good science communicator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

humberklog wrote: »
    I only came on to mock Pat and his willful ignorance in pronouncing Greta Thunberg as Greta Thunbereee.
    Thankfully I checked before posting and indeed Pat is correct. Thunberg is pronounced Thunberee. I must check Jerry Seinfield next.

On the Luke O'Neill and not knowing who he is, as someone posted he's a regular for years on the show and even had a regular slot on Sean Moncrieff. Very good science communicator.

I agree, he communicates well without dumbing down the science.
    I first heard of Luke O'Neill when i read a review of his book Humanology that came out a couple of years ago. I've read it myself since and really enjoyed it, looking forward to starting his new one.
    I'm a regular listener to Pat Kenny show and the Luke O'Neill slot is one I always look forward to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,538 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Never have heard of him?

He's been on Pat's show for years.
    humberklog wrote: »

I stand corrected, I never knew Luke O'Neill was a regular contributor to the PK show before Covid.

I was more of a Sean O'Rourke listener myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Treppen wrote: »

535811.jpg
    4th beegee

Or like a fella playing Robin Hood in one of those countless old films.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Pat is very very cranky with the Ciaran Cuffe , and he also has to listen to Mannix Flynn in the same conversation. Could not blame him !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pat is very very cranky with the Ciaran Cuffe , and he also has to listen to Mannix Flynn in the same conversation. Could not blame him !!

he really didnt like the idea of cyclists getting anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

neris wrote: »
    he really didnt like the idea of cyclists getting anything at all

And he's right, cyclists want everything and contribute nothing for anything.
    Even where the have cycle lanes their still out on the middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I dident think so, he just cut through the usual bulls*it these Green muppets are allowed to get away with other presenters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭crushproof

mgn wrote: »
    And he's right, cyclists want everything and contribute nothing for anything.
    Even where the have cycle lanes their still out on the middle of the road.

To think we could turn pedestrian footpaths into an extra traffic lane too!! Pesky walkers.

Advertisement