Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Expunge wrote: »
    You gotta hand it to him.

73 years old next month, he sounds at least 20 years younger on air.

So, what is wrong with being 73 years old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Expunge

BarryM wrote: »
    Expunge wrote: »
    You gotta hand it to him.

73 years old next month, he sounds at least 20 years younger on air.

So, what is wrong with being 73 years old?

I don't believe I said there was anything "wrong" with being 73 years old but shur, you spend your energy bristling about some perceived ageism why don't ya, Baz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Expunge

BarryM wrote: »
    Relax

Ok............ Should I lie down or stretch or what?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Ivan back on with Pat now, making another comeback on Virgin Media Tv it seems. An half Friday night chat show. Nothing serious it seems. Sports and the likes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,538 ✭✭✭✭elperello

2smiggy wrote: »
    Ivan back on with Pat now, making another comeback on Virgin Media Tv it seems. An half Friday night chat show. Nothing serious it seems. Sports and the likes

I'd be willing to bet he will do well too.

He understood the the old show biz expression "leave them wanting more".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

2smiggy wrote: »

A certain Bookmaker was mentioned at least 20 times during the interview. Impression I got, it is more of an advertisement vehicle dressed up as a show with 'banter' for this particular bookie. Plus if anyone has seen such 'banter' posts on twitter it gets tired fast - and it is non stop.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

A certain Bookmaker was mentioned at least 20 times during the interview.
    Good God. I presume it is who I think it is, whom I won't mention either. Puke.

If I had my way, all bookmaker sponsorship and advertising would be banned - in the same way (but not obviously for the same reasons, before anyone jumps in), that we banned tobacco sponsorship and advertising, and that we really should be banning alcohol sponsorship and advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Did anyone listen to yesterday's show? Pat didn't go easy on Tony Holohan, particularly about border restrictions and antigen tests. It ended when Tony's line disconnected but I wouldn't be surprised if he just hung up :pac:

Klonker wrote: »
    Did anyone listen to yesterday's show? Pat didn't go easy on Tony Holohan, particularly about border restrictions and antigen tests. It ended when Tony's line disconnected but I wouldn't be surprised if he just hung up :pac:

I deliberately didn't listen when I heard Tony Holohan would be on. He has too much time on the airways. Delighted to hear Pat asked hard and very relevant questions! Good! Very interesting to hear the line went dead :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I must listen back to that interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Klonker wrote: »

It crossed my mind. :D I agree with Pat on antigen testing but at the same time he is coming to this whole thing from perspective of a comfortable settled life in a nice spacious house. He is completely unable to understand that not everyone finds the whole lockdown as easy. At some stage he will get a heart attack from all the frustration the rule breaking is causing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,018 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jesus wept, listening to Robert Troy, just confirms the absolute and total ineptitude prevailant in Irish politics. He's trying to discuss the impact of brexit and ordering online from UK, his advice? Shop local.

Coukd it be true, he and his department are not aware of additional costs associated with purchasing from UK websites, it seems he think your local postman might need to have a credit card card machine in their vans.

Just absolutely mind boggling stuff.

I'm sure we would dearly love to shop local but sadly and it's s fact, Irish businesses on the whole completely hopeless at managing online business.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I disagree. I think it's up to customer to check what changes will be added. Some UK suppliers will ship from EU and some will charge Irish vat. If people managed when ordering from US they will manage when ordering from UK. Plenty of couriers offer easy online payment of customs duties and taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Most people are idiots, read the terms and conditions before buying anything ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Jesus wept, listening to Robert Troy, just confirms the absolute and total ineptitude prevailant in Irish politics. He's trying to discuss the impact of brexit and ordering online from UK, his advice? Shop local.

Coukd it be true, he and his department are not aware of additional costs associated with purchasing from UK websites, it seems he think your local postman might need to have a credit card card machine in their vans.

Just absolutely mind boggling stuff.

I'm sure we would dearly love to shop local but sadly and it's s fact, Irish businesses on the whole completely hopeless at managing online business.

Pat just read out An Post's statement re charges being collected. Exasperated sighs that the minister in charge of this came on completely unaware of what's happening. Despairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,018 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Pat just read out An Post's statement re charges being collected. Exasperated sighs that the minister in charge of this came on completely unaware of what's happening. Despairing.

Not exactly sure what Troy is responsible for but clearly he's clueless, perhaps he might end up being based back at his own post office after this outing. I'd say it won't be long before anpost unions are up in arms.

I'm certainly not suggesting consumers need to do their own research and that payments to couriers nothing new, just taken aback at Troy's fumbling ineptitude and answer's, just extraordinary.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Not exactly sure what Troy is responsible for but clearly he's clueless, perhaps he might end up being based back at his own post office after this outing. I'd say it won't be long before anpost unions are up in arms.

I'm certainly not suggesting consumers need to do their own research and that payments to couriers nothing new, just taken aback at Troy's fumbling ineptitude and answer's, just extraordinary.

If Troy had to interview for that Ministers job (you know like people in the real world have to interview for jobs) and he gave that response, the interview panel would probably finish the meeting early and tell him they will get back to him.

Unfortunately in this country people are appointed to very important jobs - I'm thinking of housing minister, health minister etc. - who are absolutely not fit for the job. They get it because of where the are from, what they look like, how they sound, how they voted in party leader contests.

The opposition spokespeople are equally as inept as has been personified by Pearse Doherty since he used his diploma in business studies (or was it fish farming) to be an expert on economic issues.

On this basis why should we expect any change in the mismanagement of the country.

Troy was absolutely appalling. In normal times this would be bad enough but in Covid and Brexit times when there are huge issues around the cost and logistics of shopping and deliveries from the UK and the impact on businesses and public his interview was shameful and embarrassing ! He did NOT know his brief and should leave his job for someone who does and someone who cares about how things work post Brexit.

It is not enough to tell people to shop local, most of the stuff people look for are obscure ( I needed a tea strainer recently , my old one broke, none available in any supermarkets I've been looking since Christmas, previously would have bought on Amazon, none available online in Ireland that I could see...........also the supplements for an old arthritic dog .....are not available online, are out of stock, do not come up in search engines, or postage is too high) . In Ireland we simply cannot compete with the type of online shopping people need and are used to.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Pat may go full Joe Duffy this morning over the US stories today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

pc7 wrote: »
    Pat may go full Joe Duffy this morning over the US stories today.

Pat with a bit of fake news by saying 4 people were killed.

There weren't 4 people killed.

1 was shot by police and 3 died of 'medical emergencies'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Wondering will the pro Trump scumbags show their face on here this morning to justify his fascist coup attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

Wondering will the pro Trump scumbags show their face on here this morning to justify his fascist coup attempt.

Charming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Trump fascination has led to this type of discourse.

Shame.

And if it was a coup, it was a pretty lame one.

Shame.

Would you expect the one that's not lame?

I'm just counting down days till politics becomes less attention seeking and less despicable. Two more weeks.
    I'm tired of Trump. For years I have been mostly avoiding the subject, politics was dragged into the gutter under him (not just by him but in vast majority by him) and I'm looking forward when American president will be in the news for doing the boring stuff - not for self promotion, not for refusal of science, not for insulting others but for doing his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

I think they couldn't believe they actually got inside and then thought what do we do now...ah yes, selfies to post on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

meeeeh wrote: »
    Would you expect the one that's not lame?

I'm just counting down days till politics becomes less attention seeking and less despicable. Two more weeks.
    I'm tired of Trump. For years I'm mostly avoiding the subject, politics was dragged into the gutter under him (not just by him but in vast majority by him) and I'm forward when American president will be in the news for doing the boring stuff - not for self promotion, not for refusal of science, not for insulting others but to do his work.

Trump was only in Irish news because Irish media put him there.

It's led to a vicious online discourse, as expressed in the previous above post.

It's led to Irish people getting mixed up and angry about American issues as if we live in America.

Pat and other media deliberately present American issues as such and read out extreme texts when they get a chance. They present America issues as 'historical' , 'extraordinary' and relevant to us, when it's usually not.

Mod - Technocentral, quit the unnecessary. Please do not post again on this thread until Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,918 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Shame.

It was a coup attempt, and you are right, a pretty lame one. In line with everything else from this man.

As for Trump fascination, you have been a consistent commentator on here saying that Trump should not be discussed so much on Irish radio. It's clear to me from posts of yours on other threads that you are much closer to being a fan of Trump than abhorring him like many of us do.

So it seems to me that your issue is the negativity around him more so than the frequency at which he is discussed.
    The idea that the most pivotal politician of our lifetimes who has been so active in terms of significant events in which he has been involved should not be discussed on a current affairs show is laughably ridiculous.

I'm living in the US at the moment and still listen to Pat a number of times a week so I hope I pass your test of it being appropriate for me to comment on this. Not that I care either way, it is relevant to discuss given the influence political movements can have on other societies when their style is wants to be portrayed by some as being successful. It is no small coincidence that two people like Trump and Johnson came to be in power at the same time and we saw our own version of a wannabe populist attempt to influence politics in Ireland with many on this site saying that that was what was needed in the country. It is something I take pride in that Ireland told him to get lost across 4 individual electoral campaigns within 4 years. The reason we did is because enough people paid enough attention through listening to shows like Pat Kenny to be able to do so so conclusively.

Trump-lover USA FB friend has put up an upside down-back to front USA flag as avatar. I'm sure this is some sinister flagging, so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,918 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Trump-lover USA FB friend has put up an upside down-back to front USA flag as avatar. I'm sure this is some sinister flagging, so to speak.

They've some cheek after the screaming they went on with over Colin Kaepernick and then others kneeling and then we see them removing American Flags from the Capitol yesterday and replacing them with Trump ones.

They're all cultists. And within that there are 2 categories. The ones who have refused to put the time in to understanding that he actually stand for or don't have the capacity to understand it. Or the others who are much more sinister and dangerous and know that he was a useful mouthpiece for their regressive or oppressive ideals. You won't of course find any of them willing to say they belong to either group.

Advertisement