Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah come on, she was a head wreck.
    Who is/was it?

I turned off when the LC came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Kenny still a dick, I can see why I stopped regularly listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ah come on, she was a head wreck.

She was trying to make valid points and Kenny shut her down.

She knows what she is talking about - however annoying you think she is - and Pat doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I think we all hear what we want to hear.

To my ears it reminded it me of a bad teacher lecturing a child someone handing up homework.

Really poor stuff from both of them.

I only heard a bit of this, but i thought that lately, PK seemed to have rediscovered his MOJO. Withthe exception of Trump, of course. Poor old Pat cant get away from Trump no matter how he tries.
    Regarding Stephen Donnelly tho, he must be the worst in a long line of ministers for health. I dont remeber any of hos predecessors having quijte as much to say about how he would do the job better when he got it, and then doing less than nothing when he actually got the job
    Government in this country is so bad, i despair for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I only heard a bit of this, but i thought that lately, PK seemed to have rediscovered his MOJO. Withthe exception of Trump, of course. Poor old Pat cant get away from Trump no matter how he tries.
    Regarding Stephen Donnelly tho, he must be the worst in a long line of ministers for health. I dont remeber any of hos predecessors having quijte as much to say about how he would do the job better when he got it, and then doing less than nothing when he actually got the job
    Government in this country is so bad, i despair for the future

That's just not true. There are plenty of governments even in Europe that are much much worse. Also there is a lot of shouting about how bad vaccination programme is and then it turns out we are second fastest in EU. Some less exaggerated judgements would be welcome.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Who is/was it?

Marie Sherlock. Labour Senator.

She spoke at length and went from provision of desks to the matter of working time and the right to disconnect in the same breath. Pat tried to interrupt to ask a question and she said "Let me finish because what I am saying is very important" and Pat said not everything you say is important. And he was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

I don't blame Pat for getting annoyed with her. She has an irritating way of talking.

Pretty subjective...and if we start judging people on how they talk rather than what they're saying, we're screwed.

I only caught bits and pieces of that interview, but I think Pat crossed over from being challenging/impatient to rude.

BPKS wrote: »

She knows what she is talking about - however annoying you think she is - and Pat doesn't.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I don't think she was making valid points and I don't think she really knew what she was talking about, like bringing up the health and safety aspects of working from home or people working from the side of their bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

PK has been on fire as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

She knows nothing about the likes of small business around the country, someone that never employed anybody in there lives knows nothing about what happens in the real world, did you miss the bit she started with health and safety at home,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pat wondering why they stopped the county lockdowns after they had done it in Offaly, Laois and Kildare.

Because Pat the next county to go above the 100 per 100k was Dublin and they didn't have the balls to do the same there.
    That alternative scientific group should put todays guest out there more often. Far more balanced and considered that their regular speaker. Still didn't necessarily agree, but at least some strategy that was somewhat realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Anne Rabbitte keeping an eye on her pub and restaurant owning voters in East Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Paul Murphy needs to stop going on this show, it never ends well.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Paul Murphy needs to stop going on this show, it never ends well.

I missed the last hour today , usually delighted to miss Paul Murphy, but did he make a fool of himself, again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

2smiggy wrote: »
    I missed the last hour today , usually delighted to miss Paul Murphy, but did he make a fool of himself, again ?

He was saying the government we’re in the wrong for allowing hospitality open up in December. Pat asked him what he did to get his message to stay in and not go to pubs or restaurants across to his constituents, he said he did what he could.

Pat asked both guests if they went out during December and both said yes. Pat pointed out the, apparent, hypocrisy of Murphy going out which followed some scrambling from Murphy.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

On the spread of Covid 19:

"... This is not about personal responsibility".

Paul Murphy, January 2021.

Numpty.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

He was saying the government we’re in the wrong for allowing hospitality open up in December. Pat asked him what he did to get his message to stay in and not go to pubs or restaurants across to his constituents, he said he did what he could.

Pat asked both guests if they went out during December and both said yes. Pat pointed out the, apparent, hypocrisy of Murphy going out which followed some scrambling from Murphy.

Yeah he started droning on about how careless the govt were in allowing hospitality to open in December...how the combined heroes on the left hand warned of the dangers ... then conceded he was out in restaurant during the month,..began stuttering and waffling when Kenny challenged him on this.
    Like the time on same show he criticized Aer Lingus for not appointing chief executive from within their staff... completely unaware that Willie Walsh,the man in question, was one of their pilots
    A complete chancer

Pat has been consistent for the last 5 or 6 years in his criticism of the location of the National Children's Hospital and this mornings piece just goes to show again how correct he was in his beliefs. Pity Leo and Harris didn't listen to him.

It is some clusterfcuk of a situation the state have gotten themselves in.

If this cock up was done by a private company, those in charge of the project would all have been fired years ago. Not still on the payroll, getting pay rises and counting down time to the receipt of their handsome pensions like the situation here. Including those with ultimate responsibility, namely Simon Harris.

If I thought an inquiry into the squandering of public money would do any good I'd be all for it. But it would just be a further waste of public money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭Comhrá

humberklog wrote: »

Numpty.

Paul rarely fails to deliver when it comes to parallel universe stuff. He can be (unwittingly) funny when interviewed. Chancer of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

humberklog wrote: »

Numpty.

Wait until I tell you about Leo Varadkar :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Pat has been consistent for the last 5 or 6 years in his criticism of the location of the National Children's Hospital and this mornings piece just goes to show again how correct he was in his beliefs. Pity Leo and Harris didn't listen to him.

It is some clusterfcuk of a situation the state have gotten themselves in.

If this cock up was done by a private company, those in charge of the project would all have been fired years ago. Not still on the payroll, getting pay rises and counting down time to the receipt of their handsome pensions like the situation here. Including those with ultimate responsibility, namely Simon Harris.

If I thought an inquiry into the squandering of public money would do any good I'd be all for it. But it would just be a further waste of public money.

Yes, Simon’s still gobbing on about The Virus but very quiet about the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

hamburgham wrote: »
    Yes, Simon’s still gobbling on about The Virus but very quiet about the hospital.

When the covid dust settles this will have to be paid for, one of the greatest f-ups in the states history, God knows what the final price will be whenever the damn thing will be finished. That and all the covid bill will have to be paid for one way or another and boy is there a day of reckoning coming when the bill comes in, they cant keep printing money for ever out in frankfurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I think the money will come from the EU pot.

I would assume, in the spirit of we all contribute evenly, that it should be a percentage of GDP so that countries like Greece are not disproportionately disadvantage as opposed to Netherlands.

We are in this pot so that if needs be, we can all benefit - we may all have to pay something but I don't think it will be 100%.

Now maybe they will finally change this feckin leaving certificate is the most important blah blah blah

Norma Foley hasn't a clue - they are going in, they aren't going in, they are going in FFS we badly need a reshuffle.

Now they need to put in place a permanent fair 2 year assessment based on project work, class participation, volunteering / gaisce etc, tests and quarterly exams and end of year exams.

Fair for all. No need for grinds because you won't live or die on an end of year exam. Then do an entrance exam for the particular course you want in college - matriculation.

We should be looking further afield and pick the best bits of what other countries do and not just stick to the same auld ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Comhra wrote: »
    Paul rarely fails to deliver when it comes to parallel universe stuff. He can be (unwittingly) funny when interviewed. Chancer of the highest order.

I heard him on something the other day and he was giving out about them allowing people go to restaurants, before he admitted that he went to a restaurant himself over the Christmas. It made him look really silly. Can't remember which show it was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Norma Foley hasn't a clue - they are going in, they aren't going in, they are going in FFS we badly need a reshuffle.

I think this must be the most underqualified set of Ministers that we have ever had, and that is saying something.

I like Norma Foley but this is her first time as a TD and the portfolio is too big and complex for a newbie. I'd like to see her in another less pressurised portfolio so she can learn her job and the necessities of being a politician. She can't do the Education portfolio and she is not getting good advice.

I like Norma Foley but this is her first time as a TD and the portfolio is too big and complex for a newbie. I'd like to see her in another less pressurised portfolio so she can learn her job and the necessities of being a politician. She can't do the Education portfolio and she is not getting good advice.
    I really don't see much difference between the current and the previous minister for education in terms of competence, if anything Norma Foley is slightly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Which member of government would you like replace her that would be more compentant? Who do you think is performing well in their current portfolio?

I'm not trying to defend Norma Foley and I know little about her but she is Education Minister at a time with unparalleled challenges and no easy fixes or answers.
    She opens schools in September against a lot of opposition and scrutiny and it went relatively well up to Christmas with no praise for her role in that.

She decided schools should stay closed in January which was well supported I think. OK, the idea of opening one day a week for LC students was a unthought out misstep.

She got feedback from parents of children with special needs that they needed schools open for their development so she decided to do this, keeping in line with most of Europe. She got shot down for this.

Teacher unions said they wanted medical advise it was safe to go back before doing so, NPHET said this is the case but they still refused to go back so she had to abandon those plans. She gets stick now for suggesting to open the schools and at the same time getting stick for not following through on opening schools.

How can she win here? Some people think there is some magic answer to all this that nobody has thought of yet. And people are calling for her head because she can't solve a near impossible problem.

The media are driving all this. They have gotten very nasty since covid arrived here, turning everyone against each other, pointing fingers and blame are the order of the day. They've ramped up the fear to control the public outrage and its horrible to see and hear.

• Advertisement

I think this must be the most underqualified set of Ministers that we have ever had, and that is saying something.

Imagine if SF had gotten into power and yer one from Clare and the one from Kildare that went on holidays during the general election had ministerial positions.

Oh and Pearse Doherty would be Minister for Finance.

Advertisement