Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I think this must be the most underqualified set of Ministers that we have ever had, and that is saying something.

Norma was a teacher wasn't she? In what way is she more underqualified the last few - had to check- Joe McHugh, Richard Bruton (yes, agreed), Jan O'Sullivan, Ruairi Quinn?

I like the fact that she's trying to stand up to the unions. Joe McHugh was a complete pushover, can't remember anything about the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

BPKS wrote: »
    Imagine if SF had gotten into power
    In the eyes of the general public, SF are the only viable alternative party to FG, so you may not have to do too much imagining in future.

Or, in fact, if they had run more candidates in the last GE, they would be in power.

As to your point, yes, they are not devoid of donkeys either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Klonker wrote: »
    Which member of government would you like replace her that would be more compentant? Who do you think is performing well in their current portfolio?
    I'm not familiar with everyones portfolio but education is a huge portfolio and she's been a TD 10 months. What about Michael Moynihan, Jim O'Callaghan or even Niamh Smyth.

She opens schools in September against a lot of opposition and scrutiny and it went relatively well up to Christmas with no praise for her role in that.
    She did her job, got well paid, doesn't need praise.
    She decided schools should stay closed in January which was well supported I think. OK, the idea of opening one day a week for LC students was a unthought out misstep.
    Ridiculous idea to open 1 day a week for anyone - what did she think the teachers and students could do - squash 5 days teaching into 1? What about the people the teachers and students mixed with at home - people with health issues, family working in hospital - and them all sitting in classrooms with all the windows open - that's sounds real healthy for an Irish winter.
    She got feedback from parents of children with special needs that they needed schools open for their development so she decided to do this, keeping in line with most of Europe. She got shot down for this.
    You are damn right she got shut down - since when did looking teaching someone with special needs take precedence over the SNAs personal health and the health of their families. Whatever chance you might have with main stream students, special needs students would need a more "hands on" approach. Ludicrous, under no circumstances would I put the health of someone elses child about my own ONCE there was no issue of harm in their own home. So parents have to look after their own children - as tough as that is, its not an SNAs responsibility, it is the parents responsibility.
    Teacher unions said they wanted medical advise it was safe to go back before doing so, NPHET said this is the case but they still refused to go back so she had to abandon those plans. She gets stick now for suggesting to open the schools and at the same time getting stick for not following through on opening schools.

See point above - no teacher / sna should have to choose between their own families and a special need child

I dont think it is the media, not in my case anyways. My daughter was doing LC last year and they messed around with that - why didnt Norma Foley look at last year and put plan B in place - no way can they have the traditional LC this year - 5th years missed 4 months in 2020 and at least that already in 2021 - it is very unfair to now expect them to sit an exam.

Like I said, I don't dislike her, she seems like a very personable person, she doesn't have the relevant experience to run her current portfolio and her advisers need a swift kick for their lack of initiative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Imagine if SF had gotten into power and yer one from Clare and the one from Kildare that went on holidays during the general election had ministerial positions.

Oh and Pearse Doherty would be Minister for Finance.

I'm pretty sure there would be no issues with Unions. A friendly neighbourhood SF rep would call for a chat to their home and everything would be agreed. :D

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there would be no issues with Unions. A friendly neighbourhood SF rep would call for a chat to their home and everything would be agreed. :D
    No need for that - a call from Belfast would do the job just as well without the need for wasting the shoe leather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

meeeeh wrote: »

Yes Slab, no Slab, 3 bags full Slab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

I didn't know boards.ie had their own Denis o Brien fan club(echo chamber)

Are the Irish Times journalists still banned from Communicorp folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Are the Irish Times journalists still banned from Communicorp folks?

I'm no fan of Denis O'Brien, but I am a fan of keeping SF and the likes of Paul Murphy away from any decisions that would affect me.

I don't know where you're getting that from, but I think you'll find that people here are fans of quality radio - and they certainly aren't getting it from RTE Radio 1 in the Pat Kenny timeslot.

If you listen to the radio between 9 and 12 weekdays, what do you listen to?

If you don't, your contribution is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

paschal and pat had a good ding dong, have to admit paschal did ok...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

gourcuff wrote: »

You'd need to be up early to catch out pascal, thats a premiership derby right there with those 2 lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,963 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Shure, he did so in a softy wotly lovey dovey voice

Paschal is quite good and actually too good for FG. he handles himself well and never comes across disingenuous.

The one few times I saw him struggle was on the releasing of funds for the ever inflated children's hospital/Leo vanity project. you could see he was reeling and new it was a **** show..that and bailing our RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

So happy that fascist pos is gone!!

Skool him Pat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So happy that fascist pos is gone!!

Trump might be many things but fascist he is not. "Fascist" is thrown around like confetti by people who don't know what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Seth Barrett Tillman is a pain in the derry air. Unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Put away your glass objects...Seth's here...gradually rising to Joe Brolly levels

Good man Pat, KOd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I think this must be the most underqualified set of Ministers that we have ever had, and that is saying something.
    rusty cole wrote: »
    Paschal is quite good and actually too good for FG. he handles himself well and never comes across disingenuous.

The one few times I saw him struggle was on the releasing of funds for the ever inflated children's hospital/Leo vanity project. you could see he was reeling and new it was a **** show..that and bailing our RTE.

I happened to see that BAM are looking for a project manager for the NCH. No money you could pay me..I think they'll be looking for a while.

• Advertisement

Pat trying to put logical suggestions to Sammy Wilson...Sammy's (political) brain just can't process it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Cole wrote: »
    Pat trying to put logical suggestions to Sammy Wilson...Sammy's (political) brain just can't process it.

Pat trying to put logical suggestions to Sammy Wilson...Sammy's (political) brain just - won't - process it.

Some SF Councillor from the flats wants to bring in accent discrimination legislation.

He was describing some story of a lad going for a zoom interview and he was called the K word cos of his accent.

Que confusion from Pat who said Am I missing something here.

To which the guest says "They called him a knacker Pat"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Some SF Councillor from the flats wants to bring in accent discrimination legislation.

He was describing some story of a lad going for a zoom interview and he was called the K word cos of his accent.

Don’t forgot PK is from Darndale.... if it wasn’t for his elocution lessons he wouldn’t be allowed on the radio.

Don’t forgot PK is from Darndale.... if it wasn’t for his elocution lessons he wouldn’t be allowed on the radio.

You obviously don't listen to RTE radio one between 1.45 and 3pm!!

That was Chris Andrews TD. That kind of discrimination definitely exists, but the "k word" moment was really cringe inducing.

Dublin 7...opposite the Phoenix Park.

A bit of context would help, from the councillor, not you. What was the job for?

If it was for the new director of communications and the lad announced himself on the call by saying "Alright boss!", then my sympathy is somewhat limited.

Where can you get these antigen tests that work out a fiver, 10 for a 50 or wherever he means? 12 to 14 per test is the prices I'm seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

god philly, why doesnt he put this into practice and stop being such a wanker on the pitch

• Advertisement

I'm not a sports fan so don't know anything about him but he shows a rare intelligence and insight for a footballer.

Advertisement