Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

A bit of balance to this discussion would be nice.

"Transient workers". As i said in another thread, that phrase makes them sound like fly-by-night market traders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"Transient workers" makes them sound like they're couch-surfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don’t forgot PK is from Darndale.... if it wasn’t for his elocution lessons he wouldn’t be allowed on the radio.

No disrespect to Darndale but PK was raised on Infirmary Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Pat, like a lot of Irish media has a real soft spot for Alistair Campbell.
    The man is an awful hypocrite and a bit of a bluffer in my opinion. He's not an honest broker.
    A bit unhinged too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Pat would be better off looking at the shambolic response by our own government to the virus rather than giving this windbag airtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

I quite like Alastair Campbell, but this is just an echo chamber...not even an attempt at any balance from Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

elperello wrote: »
    No disrespect to Darndale but PK was raised on Infirmary Road.

and made it on his own, no silver spoon or fast track into RTE through his relations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Will we head no more about zero Covid from Pat seen as NPHET said it's not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

hamburgham wrote: »
    and made it on his own, no silver spoon or fast track into RTE through his relations.

And his Da, worked up in D Azzzoooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

And his Da, worked up in D Azzzoooo!

He was the master of Elephants, apparently he could communicate with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,918 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In fairness, getting a foot in the door has long been a common practice in Irish society. Many years ago, I served an apprenticeship with an Irish semi-state company and was one of the 20% of the class who didn't have a direct family member working with the company already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

He was the master of Elephants, apparently he could communicate with them.

I think you may have misunderstood why he was known as Dr DoLittle.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Pat Kenny is 73 today!

Hope he keeps going for many more years. He is the outstanding radio broadcaster of this generation. A living legend still working full time -15 hours a week on air - and we are VERY lucky to have him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is 73 today!

Hope he keeps going for many more years. He is the outstanding radio broadcaster of this generation. A living legend still working full time -15 hours a week on air - and we are VERY lucky to have him.

Absolutely incredible that he is 73, both mentally and physically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Absolutely incredible that he is 73, both mentally and physically.

A great head of hair for 73.

I met Pat Kenny after bringing in a friend who was a guest on the PK TV show who had recently received a successful lung transplant. That was decades ago, my friend has passed away in very recent years after complications, but at the time of his procedure, the maximum life expectancy was 5 years if you were fortunate. After the show Pat asked me to hold his pint of Guinness in the post-show studio bar for a minute as he retreated to gents, then returned for a good little chat and asking what we thought of the show as he thought it had not gone too well and would be thinking about how it could have been different, all weekend.

Gave me a good insight into the man. He wasn't interested in primarily talking to the VIPs who were present, loved the very ordinary reasonably informed chat and clearly showed himself to be very self-critical.

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is 73 today!

He's usually so well prepared for who he interviews I'd say he works much longer than the 15 hours we notice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

God the Greens are brutal, listening to them would put you off voting for them. There has never been a better time to be a Green due to awareness about climate etc. but such a pack of whingers.

pc7 wrote: »
    God the Greens are brutal, listening to them would put you off voting for them. There has never been a better time to be a Green due to awareness about climate etc. but such a pack of whingers.

Sounds like an another collapse at the next election is coming...nothing changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

they did not run a candidate in my area last time, and the time before that they got something like 70 votes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

pc7 wrote: »

The obviously have very poor leadership. A political party needs to have someone at the top who can crack the whip now and then to stop squabbling amongst the troops. Ryan is completely inept at leadership, (or anything else for that matter).

As much as I respect Pat's broadcasting, constantly using CNN as his default network as a source of US news undermines his credibility a little...certainly when it comes to US politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Cole wrote: »
    As much as I respect Pat's broadcasting, constantly using CNN as his default network as a source of US news undermines his credibility a little...certainly when it comes to US politics.
    Who would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Cole wrote: »

What did the guy in the CNN report say that wasn't true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

OP never suggested the report wasn't true? :confused:

There's absolutely a Blue lean in CNN, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Is it as bad as the red lean in Fox? Definitely not imo. But there's a bias, and that's important to note, definitely.

Morathi wrote: »
    OP never suggested the report wasn't true? :confused:

Exactly.

See the above.
    serfboard wrote: »
    Who would you recommend?

No network in particular. I wasn't making a comment on the story Pat was reporting on this morning. The point is about CNN seemingly being Pat's default/'go to' network from the US. There are other news sources that don't have such obvious bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

But if what he repeated was true, then it doesn't matter the source.
    Would you be happier if he repeated the exact same thing, but from another source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hurrache wrote: »
    But if what he repeated was true, then it doesn't matter the source.
    Would you be happier if he repeated the exact same thing, but from another source?

Bizarrely yes it seems. If they had played a clip from Fox telling the objective truth like the clip he played would be fine by me.

I give up. Misread or misinterpret my OP amongst yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Stephen Donnelly is trying to waffle his way through an interview with a cross enough Pat !!

Advertisement