Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

2smiggy wrote: »
    Stephen Donnelly is trying to waffle his way through an interview with a cross enough Pat !!

LOVING IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Unless your flight is deemed to be essential a €5000 fine should apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Donnelly's patronising language and talk is just coming across as arrogant.

He seems unaware of useless he is and how much the public find him farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

fair enough he is probably sick of all the interviews, but he wanted the job. he did not seem to be taking the interview as seriously as Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

Can't listen because I've been getting very bad stomach cramps lately listening to any politicians allowed to lie blatantly on airwaves.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/civil-servants-told-not-to-undermine-their-minister-or-policies-in-social-media-posts-40044836.html

Pat mustn't undermine daddy. ðŸ‘

I feel like a noose is tightening around my neck today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I like Pat but all todays show is Pat asking every contributor why we aren't using Antigen tests and making the same point that you can be negative one day and positive the next. He seems obsessed with Antigen tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I like Pat but all todays show is Pat asking every contributor why we aren't using Antigen tests and making the same point that you can be negative one day and positive the next. He seems obsessed with Antigen tests.
    Obsessed is putting it mildly - a dog with bone wouldn't be as.....well, dogged!

You've made your point, Pat, at this stage.

The medical fella got a bit of a dig in about experts (or "experts") - was half asleep listening, so can't remember hs name, or the exact exchange, but it made me chuckle.

Interview with Donnelly was an absolute car-crash - I don't listen to the political interviews any more, for my own sanity more than anything else - but I just could not turn that off. Whether or not he's anywhere close to on top of his brief (and even if he isn't, you'd have to hope that all his advisers are so the stuff happens in the background regardless), was there ever a politician who sounded less convincing and more like a total spoofer that him?

I know lots will disagree with me, but OMG bring back Simon Harris for a bit of trust and stability!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I know lots will disagree with me, but OMG bring back Simon Harris for a bit of trust and stability!

Oh God no. Funny though how they're both in the same constituency.

I must say, for better or for worse, Stephen, MM and Leo do seem to be making themselves very available for interviews, at least they aren't hiding away..remember Enda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

His Antigen test dogma is getting very wearing. The issue has to be accuracy - I won't claim to be an "expert", but a sport I follow (cycling) that has widely used antigen test since last summer has had a number of incidents of riders being kicked off races/ not able to start races for "failing" an antigen test, and then passing others in the same and subsequent. To the degree that a single positive test isn't taken in isolation anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I would not be a fan of FG, but Simon Harris in covid times came across as competent, open, trustworthy, willing to admit mistakes and, most importantly, empathetic.

Donnelly on the other hand... :rolleyes:

I heard someone on about school issue a few months back, either on PK or Claire Byrne. The school is in wicklow and was built but the school couldn't move in (something like that). The contributor name checked 4 of the 5 wicklow tds as helping out. Guess which one they left out and said hadn't engaged at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't get that. So many cock ups were done under Harris including total mess that is children's hospital and people want him back because he talks to them nicely?

I don't give a damn if we have the most unsympathetic minuster as long as things improve. Covid stats under Harris were pretty abysmal in comparison to the rest of Europe. Comparatively more people died in first wave (with exception of UK, Italy, Spain and Belgium) and we were locked longer. But sure he talks nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Pat + Antigens = a load of nonsense.

Although Antigens have improved the tests need to be daily and if you get a +ve you still need an 'official' test. Since Antigen tests are unapproved there are risks, firstly chancers selling the test online, second the false +ve risk is still considered (by the guy from UCC, anyway) as unreliable.

Pat is, like many others, exhibiting a touch of paranoia.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't get that. So many cock ups were done under Harris including total mess that is children's hospital and people want him back because he talks to them nicely?

I don't give a damn if we have the most unsympathetic minuster as long as things improve. Covid stats under Harris were pretty abysmal in comparison to the rest of Europe. Comparatively more people died in first wave (with exception of UK, Italy, Spain and Belgium) and we were locked longer. But sure he talks nicely.

+1.

He's certainly got the gift of the gab and yes can "do" empathy very well, maybe even some of it is sincere but that doesn't cut it for me.

Too much emphasis on rights not enough on responsibilities in this Country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Unless your flight is deemed to be essential a €5000 fine should apply.

Did ya hear the wan on Joe D today, 'from my apartment on the Canaries for €700 a month and a one way flight for €50' ... She said she might be fined 100

not sure Pat knew quite what was going on with Padraig the farmer from Roscommon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

not sure Pat knew quite what was going on with Padraig the farmer from Roscommon

Padraigs definition of a 'swallee hole' and Pats definition are likely to be different alright.

Pat got a bit tetchy with the Internet security guy when he was shot down about plugging directly into the modem.

And I'm glad I wasn't late eating my breakfast while listening to the discussion about dogs with the runs.

We now have some gombeen politician , Mark McSherry , who thinks we would be able to out bid the rest of Europe by buying vaccines by ourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

He is one of the politicians who know everything about how things should be done but if anyone let him anywhere near the power he would mess everything up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

We now have some gombeen politician , Mark McSherry , who thinks we would be able to out bid the rest of Europe by buying vaccines by ourselves
    It's actually Marc MacSharry. I'm not pedantically correcting you for the sake of it, but to emphasise that the estate agent Fianna Failer is the son of former Fianna Fail Tanaiste Ray MacSharry, and now represents the same area that his father used to. As is usual in this country.

He is also, as you say, a complete gombeen, and another who merits the turn off/over treatment whenever he comes on. The incident of him shouting and roaring in the Dail at those other two gobshiítes, the Healy-Raes, was a depressing and embarrassing spectacle.

• Advertisement

Pat needs to use the regular phone network for his live interviews.

I've noticed more radio stations adopting skype/zoom as their default interviewing platform, and too often they need to hang up and switch to phone... You think they would do some routine check with the interviewee before the call to validate connection...

dulpit wrote: »
    I've noticed more radio stations adopting skype/zoom as their default interviewing platform, and too often they need to hang up and switch to phone... You think they would do some routine check with the interviewee before the call to validate connection...

Phone calls aren't "studio" quality but they are much more reliable.

Phone calls aren't "studio" quality but they are much more reliable.

Ya, I get that.

Good quality zoom call > phone call > dodgy internet zoom call.

Daughter of teachers methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The student from Roscommon who was on about the Leaving Cert was brilliant.

Telling Norma Foley to cop on and responded to a text sent in by telling the texter they are ridiculous and cop on.

She comes from the Michael O Leary school of language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

dulpit wrote: »

The general quality of telecommunications on radio and tv stations is very poor. I’m getting it hard to understand that with all the super fast broadband in use these days they cannot come close to the quality of the old landline.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The general quality of telecommunications on radio and tv stations is very poor. I’m getting it hard to understand that with all the super fast broadband in use these days they cannot come close to the quality of the old landline.

Suspect the issue isn't with the station, but with the contributors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Are you referring to the interview with the governor of the Central Bank? It was absolutely infuriating trying to listen it... although the cynic in me thought that the governor was using the poor audio connection as an excuse not to answer Pat's questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭fire_man

Yes I agree. He caught some stage of the questions put to him.Hard to listen to and Pat was getting cranky!

Advertisement