Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I suspect the governor was, very conveniently. He was better able to come up with waffles. If the CB had surveyed the insurance companies, why didn't they require them to provide proper cover? The answer lies in his first reply 'we don't control the insurance industry' no, you regulate it, like the banks.
    By coincidence my wife is reading The wealth of nations for her course and she said nothing much has changed. When it was written the banks were the plaything of the monarchs, yes, nothing has changed, just different monarchs, the FFG kind.

BTW, on the telecoms. I assume in leafy Killiney there is fibre? If so, he should be on voice over IP, not a third party supplier like Zoom or Skype for interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

I’m listening to a lot more radio these times and I think that Pat Kenny is streets ahead of the other Irish presenters. Just heard a podcast of his interview during the week with the author, Linwood Barclay. At the end of the interview Barclay said to Pat “You know your stuff better than anybody else”. Sums it up for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Jonathan Healy in again today.

So Spotify it is for the morning !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Are all of the newstalk presenters off this week? I noticed that Tom Dunne was covering Moncrief and somebody was in for Kieran Cuddihy too on the hard shoulder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

dulpit wrote: »
    Are all of the newstalk presenters off this week? I noticed that Tom Dunne was covering Moncrief and somebody was in for Kieran Cuddihy too on the hard shoulder...

Midterm break. Looking after the kids?

• Advertisement

Barna77 wrote: »
    Midterm break. Looking after the kids?

While they're all home from school?

dulpit wrote: »
    While they're all home from school?
    More the reason :D

I've noticed before that they'd be off during school breaks, specially Moncrieff and Ciara Kelly when she was doing the lunch time show (which was a relief)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I suspect holidays have to be booked in advance. Maybe they were doing the planning in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

2smiggy wrote: »
    Jonathan Healy in again today.

So Spotify it is for the morning !!

Jonathan Healy is the only stand-in who makes Claire Byrne over on Radio 1 seem like an good option. But about 15 minutes of her yesterday and it's Spotify...or silence...for the week for me.

Cole wrote: »
    Jonathan Healy is the only stand-in who makes Claire Byrne over on Radio 1 seem like an good option. But about 15 minutes of her yesterday and it's Spotify...or silence...for the week for me.

He's not great, is he? I do think he's good when they have him doing pre-packaged reports though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

The pre- packaged items have less of his personality in them. Less scope for him to needlessly talk over people too. He's the one stand-in that usually sends me to the "off" button. I gave him another try this nothing but it's a no from me. Do Newstalk really have nobody else who can stand in for Pat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Tork wrote: »
    The pre- packaged items have less of his personality in them. Less scope for him to needlessly talk over people too. He's the one stand-in that usually sends me to the "off" button. I gave him another try this nothing but it's a no from me. Do Newstalk really have nobody else who can stand in for Pat?

I turned off yesterday when I heard him on, turned on at 9 again this morning to see if it was only a one day stand-in so switched off again when I heard Healy.

He seems to be the regular stand-in now for Pat which is worrying considering Pats age and lack of any other decent alternatives out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

BPKS wrote: »
    lack of any other decent alternatives out there.
    I cannot believe that that is the case.

IIRC, Jonathon used to be on Sky? So Jonathon gets the gig because he has experience on a major news outlet.

Meanwhile, there surely must be people available either currently in newspapers or on local radio that would do a better job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I think Healy's alright, to be honest.

He's no Pat, but he's grand cover.

Just sayin'.

Healy: To say we are not all struggling with our mental health is incorrect.

:confused:

Errr... Yes it is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Newstalk have gone to the dogs.... Pat Kenny and Moncrief is all they have....

And when either is out for the day, my radio goes off, or I switch to LBC.

Not a Moncrief fan...too much in the smart arsed Healy type school of broadcasting.

Gavan Reilly and Vincent Wall (who's on just before him) are pretty good on Sundays.

For serious going to the dogs, tune in to Claire Byrne, Brendan O'Connor and Drivetime over on Radio 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not a Moncrief fan...too much in the smart arsed Healy type school of broadcasting.

He is a break from wall to wall covid and 'wor abou de kids' incessant moaning the last few weeks.

He is a break from wall to wall covid and 'wor abou de kids' incessant moaning the last few weeks.

Fair enough, but there are other listening options out there to get away from that stuff.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but there are other listening options out there to get away from that stuff.

I think whiskey_galores point was yes there are other listening options, but not on NewsTalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Moncrief is also about as far left as you can go without falling off the ship. Hes a militant woke warrior..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Moncrief is also about as far left as you can go without falling off the ship. Hes a militant woke warrior..

He got nicely slapped down in the IT letter pages a few days ago in response to an article he wrote about a journey on the DART

jay0109 wrote: »
    He got nicely slapped down in the IT letter pages a few days ago in response to an article he wrote about a journey on the DART

He'd brush it off with the usual white privilege establishment remarks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

jay0109 wrote: »

any link , would be interested to see !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It would considering he wrote about men who were not wearing masks and were later smoking in the carriages. It would be interesting to know what was so objectionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

2smiggy wrote: »
    any link , would be interested to see !!

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/identity-politics-1.4480425
    Sir, – Sean Moncrieff wrote a piece decrying the behaviour of two people on the Dart (Magazine, February 6th). He described them as “white and middle aged”.

May I ask why their skin colour was relevant? Would he have mentioned their skin colour if they were not white?

I am guessing your columnist is, unfortunately, yet another media commentator who feels that he needs to play the identity-politics card to bolster his street cred with a certain demographic who seem hell-bent on going down the US identity politics route.

This divisive atomisation of society is something that has not served countries well when it has become entrenched in the body politic. People who bring colour and gender into every discussion can be just as much responsible for societal schism as the much ballyhooed far-right. – Yours, etc,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BloodyBill wrote: »

When he isn't being all lefty, he does have interesting guests, not moany whingebags like Talk to Joe and Co.
    I was in a car once and the radio was set to Joe, I'd prefer to slit my wrists than listen to it.

PK is quite good with international stuff, I tune out when it's covid and the resident "celebrity" professor of something or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Advertisement