Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

jay0109 wrote: »

A newspaper editor in another country once said that only idiots write to the readers comments. That seems to be true for Ireland too.

Next time he should write three men or maybe women, middle aged possibly younger or older and white or maybe not...

It's not a bloody court report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,918 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jay0109 wrote: »

Not sure I'd use that as an example of 'getting nicely slapped down'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭elperello

meeeeh wrote: »
    A newspaper editor in another country once said that only idiots write to the readers comments. That seems to be true for Ireland too.

Next time he should write three men or maybe women, middle aged possibly younger or older and white or maybe not...

It's not a bloody court report.

I wonder what that editor would have made of our musings.

The writer of that letter is a regular contributor to the IT letters page.

That's the sort of thing that makes me read it every day.

You never know what you will find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

elperello wrote: »
    I wonder what that editor would have made of our musings.

Nothing good however you really need to get yourself worked up to write in the comment section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

@ whisky_galore

You need to get with the programme - train wreck background listening is where it's at....7.00 RTE for news and what it says in the papers and then into the twilight zone: Newstalk Breakfast with Shane, Ciara + 'Quinny', followed by dipping into PK, Claire Byrne, Andrea Gilligan - for as long as the brain can take it followed by the main event - Lavhline. If you're still able for more then insufferable Kieran Cuddihy finishes off the day's listening. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Lionse

Does anyone find the repetitive nature of the ads on Newstalk extremely annoying? "Quote devil "one for example is on every 10 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Lionse wrote: »
    Does anyone find the repetitive nature of the ads on Newstalk extremely annoying? "Quote devil "one for example is on every 10 minutes

And the Medite MDF Community is often on, although thankfully that doesn't have a silly jingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Moncrief is also about as far left as you can go without falling off the ship. Hes a militant woke warrior..

He can be quite smarmy in reply to a contributer or listeners email or txt which doesn't fit in with his right-on wokier than thou worldview, not a pleasant individual at all imv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,918 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He can be quite smarmy in reply to a contributer or listeners email or txt which doesn't fit in with his right-on wokier than thou worldview, not a pleasant individual at all imv

He's usually just giving back what he's getting when he's like that though isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

There was one which had a doorbell ringing at the start which was on all the time for months. Every single time my dog went mental. Was driving me insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I for one am never gonna change to ‘DE FACTO SHAVING OIL’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I for one am never gonna change to ‘DE FACTO SHAVING OIL’

D E F A C T O

Everyone grow a beard now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

More annoying is every presenter discussing the same topic on a given day - FFS - they do it to death, never bring up any new insights etc, just the same auld ****e all day long. (I have talkback on at work - couldn't stomach Holy Joe)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

He's usually just giving back what he's getting when he's like that though isn't he?

Not what I've heard, its usually when someone txts or emails in with a view which doesn't chime with his own, I've heard him do it many times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

More annoying is every presenter discussing the same topic on a given day - FFS - they do it to death, never bring up any new insights etc, just the same auld ****e all day long. (I have talkback on at work - couldn't stomach Holy Joe)
    That's where Moncrieff comes into his own.

Pat Kenny and Claire Byrne are usually the same topics with slightly differing talking heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Cole wrote: »
    Not a Moncrief fan...too much in the smart arsed Healy type school of broadcasting.

Gavan Reilly and Vincent Wall (who's on just before him) are pretty good on Sundays.

For serious going to the dogs, tune in to Claire Byrne, Brendan O'Connor and Drivetime over on Radio 1.

Vincent Wall is an excellent broadcaster, could listen to him all day. Obviously he works in the industry but his questions to guests are always insightful and well researched. There's been a few occasions where the guests even thanked him for the interesting questions, which is highly unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Vincent Wall is an excellent broadcaster, could listen to him all day. Obviously he works in the industry but his questions to guests are always insightful and well researched. There's been a few occasions where the guests even thanked him for the interesting questions, which is highly unusual.

Agreed. Even though his show is about economics (and I know very little about that topic) it's still quite broad and very accessible...Vincent helps with this I think.

I usually come away feeling like I've actually learned something useful.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'm just happy that stupid sausage making ad has finished, it was beyond ridiculous and annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

pc7 wrote: »
    I'm just happy that stupid sausage making ad has finished, it was beyond ridiculous and annoying.

Don't worry like the Bothar goat it will be back. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

If Pat (or any journalist) was to tell a story of bad behaviour they'd witnessed on the Dart and said "two black lads acting the maggot...", I would wonder if they had some sort of agenda by mentioning their race. It's not a common thing to do. Even when Gardai issue information on suspects they're looking for they seldom put the race in the description. Odd thing for a columnist to do.

Healy's not for me, I simply don't like him as a braodcaster. He's been filling in for Pat for a long time now but I'd doubt he'd get the gig full time (even if he wanted it).
    It's hard too see where Newstalk will go when Pat packs it in (that'll be a sad day in itself). It's only when Healy takes the wheel for more than a day I get the heebie-jeebies for the future of that time slot.

They shoulda kept Sarah McInerney in the NT tent.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    If Pat (or any journalist) was to tell a story of bad behaviour they'd witnessed on the Dart and said "two black lads acting the maggot...", I would wonder if they had some sort of agenda by mentioning their race. It's not a common thing to do. Even when Gardai issue information on suspects they're looking for they seldom put the race in the description. Odd thing for a columnist to do.

Healy's not for me, I simply don't like him as a braodcaster. He's been filling in for Pat for a long time now but I'd doubt he'd get the gig full time (even if he wanted it).
    It's hard too see where Newstalk will go when Pat packs it in (that'll be a sad day in itself). It's only when Healy takes the wheel for more than a day I get the heebie-jeebies for the future of that time slot.

They shoulda kept Sarah McInerney in the NT tent.

Can’t stand Sarah but I really like Sinead who does the Home Show on Saturday mornings and has started to provide cover for some of the other shows. I think she’s my favourite female broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

jesus a piece on ex-pats... im sorry that term is ridiculous and in most cases discriminatory, they are immigrants or emigrants. just because they are white does not change the fact.

gourcuff wrote: »
    jesus a piece on ex-pats... im sorry that term is ridiculous and in most cases discriminatory, they are immigrants or emigrants. just because they are white does not change the fact.

How the F*&k is it discriminatory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

hamburgham wrote: »
    Can’t stand Sarah but I really like Sinead who does the Home Show on Saturday mornings and has started to provide cover for some of the other shows. I think she’s my favourite female broadcaster.

do you mean sinead ryan who does the hard shoulder now and again ?

if its her , shes ok in small doses , she sees herself as a big time financial guru when in reality her advice is more typical of a good home economics secondary school teacher , same tone and manner too

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    do you mean sinead ryan who does the hard shoulder now and again ?

I think that's her surname. She's well informed, down to earth and no nonsense. So easy to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I happened to be listening to the Home Show a couple of weeks ago when I was in the car. I don’t normally listen to the radio on Saturday mornings. I was not impressed by Sinead herself or her lineup of contributors, (all female). It was like a throwback to the old Woman’s Hour show on BBC radio back in the day.
    Sinead’s style of presenting is incredibly patronising.
    I won’t be listening again..

I think that's her surname. She's well informed, down to earth and no nonsense. So easy to listen to.

most of her advice is basic " dogs in the street know that " run of the mill stuff when peeled back , she does have that stern manner about her however which makes her appear more knowledgible than she is

shes ok ( in small doses )

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    most of her advice is basic " dogs in the street know that " run of the mill stuff when peeled back , she does have that stern manner about her however which makes her appear more knowledgible than she is

shes ok ( in small doses )

That sums her up really, she never knows anything new, unusual or even different to communicate to the listener, just words containing no information.

She also made a fool of herself on twitter having a go at Paschal Sheehy a while back, claiming one of his reports was sexist He explained nicely the context of the story and she disappeared for days until she replied with a non apology.

That sums her up really, she never knows anything new, unusual or even different to communicate to the listener, just words containing no information.

She also made a fool of herself on twitter having a go at Paschal Sheehy a while back, claiming one of his reports was sexist He explained nicely the context of the story and she disappeared for days until she replied with a non apology.

she has a real self important head mistress vibe about her alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Pat is back, it's safe to tune in again :pac:

Advertisement