Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

meeeeh wrote: »
    Children are not in the queue yet. AZ only started testing vaccine on kids and I don't think any others available in EU are approved for children.
    Germany are moving kids up the list to begin vaccinations soon according to a German journalist on with Kenny this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Germany are moving kids up the list to begin vaccinations soon according to a German journalist on with Kenny this morning.

Are you sure it's not that they are moving teachers up the list? At the moment I think Pfizer is approved for only over 16s and trials are going on for 12 to 15. I'm too lazy to google age range of others but I don't think any of them are approved for under 16. I very much doubt they would go against EMA authorization considering Germans are a bit iffy about vaccines.

Edit AZ is currently authorized for over 18s.
    https://www.biopharma-reporter.com/Article/2021/02/15/AstraZeneca-Oxford-to-trial-COVID-19-vaccine-in-children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I didn't hear the interview so can't comment on that but yeah I think he was hugely helped by where he is from. However lets be fair if they didn't spread ministerial positions there would be huge outrage.

I agree, but it's like a game to them instead of the best person for the job.

Always thinking of what's best for themselves and party and not what's good for the people and the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

just from talking to family and friends with young school aged children , I think the vaccine uptake could be very low for children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

2smiggy wrote: »
    just from talking to family and friends with young school aged children , I think the vaccine uptake could be very low for children.

Not here - if it was approved first though (obviously). Anything to reduce the chances of us/loved ones/etc getting sick is a big win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Are you sure it's not that they are moving teachers up the list? At the moment I think Pfizer is approved for only over 16s and trials are going on for 12 to 15. I'm too lazy to google age range of others but I don't think any of them are approved for under 16. I very much doubt they would go against EMA authorization considering Germans are a bit iffy about vaccines.

Edit AZ is currently authorized for over 18s.
    https://www.biopharma-reporter.com/Article/2021/02/15/AstraZeneca-Oxford-to-trial-COVID-19-vaccine-in-children

You're right, apologies, it was teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Fann Linn wrote: »

It's teachers that are getting bumped up the list, not children.

Just on that around Europe covid segment. Pat is usually on the ball with his figures and stats but was all over the place this morning, saying Ireland rate was much worse than Germany and worse than France which is not the case. I think he was getting 7 day and 14 day rates confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Klonker wrote: »

It's teachers that are getting bumped up the list, not children.

Just on that around Europe covid segment. Pat is usually on the ball with his figures and stats but was all over the place this morning, saying Ireland rate was much worse than Germany and worse than France which is not the case. I think he was getting 7 day and 14 day rates confused.
    He was and not for the first time. I think someone else pointed out to him few weeks ago that he is comparing different time periods and he ignored them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    over promoted back bencher

got the job as they were running out of options for minister for agriculture
    But he has an awful high forehead... does that count for nothing at all these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

A masterclass of saying a lot without saying anything.

Not a patch on Heather Humphreys...the true master.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

very disappointed this morning to hear Pat speak of the efforts of small business owners in Tralee to re-open as "sinister, extreme right-ring and full of disinformation". The email/letter he read out that has been circulating around Tralee was far from extreme or dramatic! It simply pointed out that most small businesses are at breaking point! It pointed out the efforts all these businesses have already taken to protect their clients and customers yet continue to trade - measures which were fully compliant with Government guidelines at the time and all have now been ignored in favour of complete and never ending lockdown.

Since when did Pat get to call regular small business owners trying to get a collective voice "sinister and extreme right wing"?

I like Pat but to say he is conservative, single minded and extremely black and white, is an understatement. He cannot look at anything regarding Covid except through his personal lens...... a 74 year old man , fearful about the effects of Covid in his age group probably, who has worked from the comfort of his Dalkey home, surrounded by his family, on a large salary, for over a year now. He is not able to give a balanced view of what things are like for more and more people the longer this goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

very disappointed this morning to hear Pat speak of the efforts of small business owners in Tralee to re-open as "sinister, extreme right-ring and full of disinformation". The email/letter he read out that has been circulating around Tralee was far from extreme or dramatic! It simply pointed out that most small businesses are at breaking point! It pointed out the efforts all these businesses have already taken to protect their clients and customers yet continue to trade - measures which were fully compliant with Government guidelines at the time and all have now been ignored in favour of complete and never ending lockdown.

Since when did Pat get to call regular small business owners trying to get a collective voice "sinister and extreme right wing"?

I like Pat but to say he is conservative, single minded and extremely black and white, is an understatement. He cannot look at anything regarding Covid except through his personal lens...... a 74 year old man , fearful about the effects of Covid in his age group probably, who has worked from the comfort of his Dalkey home, surrounded by his family, on a large salary, for over a year now. He is not able to give a balanced view of what things are like for more and more people the longer this goes on.

Is it easier to revive a business or a dead person?

Is it easier to revive a business or a dead person?

this particular narrative is getting tedious at this stage.

I am from a big family and 21 direct family members have had Covid at this stage. This includes my 87 year old mother who is in a nursing home, my daughter who was 8 months pregnant at the stage, her 18 month old toddler, both her mother and father in law who are in their sixties and very overweight..............a sister and her husband and kids, a brother and his wife and kids and others.

My mother was the only one who was sick but I would expect that at her age. Today I rang the nursing home and she is back in her own room (out of isolation) and drinking tea, eating toast and chatting again.

So I guess I can speak from experience. I believe we are paying too high a price at this stage for the continued lockdown with no consideration given to small business, young children, teenagers, people with cancer, people waiting for cancer diagnosis, people with other illnesses, waiting for operations......... and a multitude of acute issues that are not being dealt with.

I would also add that I lost a 5 year old child to cancer. People forget that death can come at any time, at any age, its part of life, it's unfair and there is no vaccine against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭fire_man

I have lost all respect for Pat .I see he is against a nursing home in Dalkey.Wasnt he trying to take land from a neighbour years ago?All about Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Pat now talking about a couple who have had to stop the building of an extension after a neighbor complained. Oh the irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"I'm 39, I never get sick" let me do what I want and possibly infect people, what a selfish c**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Just in case anybody is looking forward to a weekend in the fresh air and Spring sunshine, we have a Jonathan Healy piece about the Covid over the last year to cheer us up. Including sad music in the background and clips of Leos speeches.

Just in case the PK show didn't have enough on Covid today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Morning Ireland, RTE had the same type of montage this morning, I turned it off!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

BPKS wrote: »
    Just in case anybody is looking forward to a weekend in the fresh air and Spring sunshine, we have a Jonathan Healy piece about the Covid over the last year to cheer us up. Including sad music in the background and clips of Leos speeches.

Just in case the PK show didn't have enough on Covid today.

Something fishy about it too. After Healy stopped droning on there was a little music to play it out and PK entered over that music by reading out a listeners text "... another great report from Jonathan....keep up the good work" (something like that).

The texter composed and sent the text before the report was over. Even people who enjoy Healy don't actually listen to Healy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭fire_man

"I'm 39, I never get sick" let me do what I want and possibly infect people, what a selfish c**t.

Heard that. Some people.God help us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Darragh McManus of the Indo had a go at Pat on Saturday for being obsessed with Covid-19 and then went on a bit of an anti-lockdown rant. I was just observing recently how uncritical his radio column usually is...from one extreme to the other.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/darragh-mcmanus-on-radio-covid-obsession-may-be-coming-to-an-end-at-last-40129057.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There was another man-baby on with Andrea a week or two ago. Maybe the same lad.

fire_man wrote: »
    Heard that. Some people.God help us!

I saw on TV one night that it's thought by some that Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals co-existed for possibly hundreds of years. There are some days I think some of the neanderthals survived and live among us. He'd be one example of my theory.

Is someone printing out the works of Shakespeare in the background?

I'll have to listen back to the Gloria Nkencho (sister of George Nkencho) interview this morning as I only kinda got parts of it. But the bits I did listen to sounded like Pat let some important stuff slide. Sure she is a grieving sister after a horrible event and certainly there was a lot of racism stirred up that she would've felt.

But even at that facts should still be held above emotions particularly by a journalist on national airwaves.

*I've been looking for the podcast of the show but can't find the particular section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

humberklog wrote: »
    I'll have to listen back to the Gloria Nkencho (sister of George Nkencho) interview this morning as I only kinda got parts of it. But the bits I did listen to sounded like Pat let some important stuff slide. Sure she is a grieving sister after a horrible event and certainly there was a lot of racism stirred up that she would've felt.

But even at that facts should still be held above emotions particularly by a journalist on national airwaves.

*I've been looking for the podcast of the show but can't find the particular section.

She said , unchallenged , that her brother was shot in the back before confronting the Garda ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

2smiggy wrote: »
    She said , unchallenged , that her brother was shot in the back before confronting the Garda ......

Wasn’t she just repeating the verdict of the independent autopsy the family had requested? She didn’t make the claim herself.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

humberklog wrote: »

He does point out that the GSOC investigation is ongoing and we’ll have to wait and see what they say.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Yeah, just having a listen back. Pat does ask some pertinent questions and handles the guest well (or at least better than I thought I originally heard).

I think whether George had a barring order from the house would've been an important question to ask. There was a lot of mis-information put out about George at the time of the shooting and that could do with some clearing up but I don't think Gloria is the right person to do that.
    Not her job. But it is Pat's.

Hopefully GSOC will have a thorough investigation and a clearer picture comes from that. But there was little to be got from that interview in my opinion.

Advertisement