Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Wasn’t she just repeating the verdict of the independent autopsy the family had requested? She didn’t make the claim herself.

I don't think so Emmet and either way an autopsy wouldn't say that. It would only say that one of the bullets entered his back.

Unless they hired Quincy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't think so Emmet and either way an autopsy wouldn't say that. It would only say that one of the bullets entered his back.

Unless they hired Quincy.

Shot in the back but couldn’t say if it was before or after lunging? I don’t think the sister said she saw it either way.

Can’t see GSOC ruling anything except a justified shooting. He had a weapon and was acting aggressively. My only concern would be why an armed unit was sent to deal with a lad with a knife. Will we see that level of response to future knife crime incidents?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Shot in the back but couldn’t say if it was before or after lunging? I don’t think the sister said she saw it either way.

Can’t see GSOC ruling anything except a justified shooting. He had a weapon and was acting aggressively. My only concern would be why an armed unit was sent to deal with a lad with a knife. Will we see that level of response to future knife crime incidents?

Yeah, it would have been better let him stab somebody first and then call the armed response unit.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Yeah, it would have been better let him stab somebody first and then call the armed response unit.

Have they been called to many incidents of knife crime? The only times I’ve heard of the armed response unit being called, or discharging their weapons, has been at “incidents” involving guns and/or hostage situations.

If an armed unit will be sent to future knife crimes it could go along way to “deterring” anyone from carrying a knife.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Yeah I would think that'd be best practice. Especially in this case where he's reported to have assaulted someone during a robbery then refused to cooperate with the unarmed Gardaí who 1st responded all the while swinging a knife around.
    The sister seemed to think that getting home was something someone should be allowed to do after having such an active morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's not like carrying a knife is a rational act. Somebody getting killed because of it won't deter many.

Anyway I guess the investigation will go over whatever happened. She has the right to tell her story in the same way as people who feel aggrieved with HSE for some sort of a mistake have the right to tell their story despite HSE not being able to reply. Media is full of similar type of interviews and while they are interesting I think it's best to keep in mind they are only one side of the story.

Have they been called to many incidents of knife crime? The only times I’ve heard of the armed response unit being called, or discharging their weapons, has been at “incidents” involving guns and/or hostage situations.

If an armed unit will be sent to future knife crimes it could go along way to “deterring” anyone from carrying a knife.

Yeah Emett they would get called to knife crimes. Any crime really, They're not only for gun on gun action and indeed do perform ordinary enough Gardai tasks throughout the course of their day.
    Twice I've had armed Gardaí turn up to break-in reports. Not ERU guys, but armed all the same. No biggy, it's just a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

My only concern would be why an armed unit was sent to deal with a lad with a knife. Will we see that level of response to future knife crime incidents?

It would have been nice to have armed units when people from the IS franchise were going stir crazy with knives. How were Gardai to know this guy wasn't any different? That he had "issues?"

Are gardai supposed to have a file to hand on a knife wielding crazy before they act? How were gardai supposed to know the house he was entering was his own and that he wasn't going in to slaughter everyone inside?

Were the family doing anything to dissuade him? Or were they just videoing the scenes from their upstairs window?

It would have been nice to have armed units when people from the IS franchise were going stir crazy with knives. How were Gardai to know this guy wasn't any different? That he had "issues?"

Are gardai supposed to have a file to hand on a knife wielding crazy before they act? How were gardai supposed to know the house he was entering was his own and that he wasn't going in to slaughter everyone inside?

Were the family doing anything to dissuade him? Or were they just videoing the scenes from their upstairs window?

Who are the IS franchise?

I’m not condemning the bloody gards. Like I said, I can’t see GSOC ruling any way but in favour of the gardaí involved. I’ve just never heard of an armed unit responding to a knife crime incident but, as humberklog pointed out, it’s not uncommon. That was the only nagging concern I’d had with the whole incident.

The sister said she tried to go out but was told to stay inside, if I heard correctly.

Cars with clutches, handbrakes etc are fast becoming things of the past. Of course technology is fabulous and greatly contributes to safety provided that road craft, observation etc is duly maintained. I just love the hybrid, can't imagine myself driving anything else now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Pay Kenny has Shane Ross on to discuss Ireland possibly part-hosting the 2030 FIFA World Cup.

Another pally wally interview - he was on previously to promote his book. And Ross was never available to be interviewed when he was a Minister.

Its a bit like PK slagging Boris Johnson off constantly (although not so much in the last month for some reason) and then having Boris' father on for a number of soft interviews when PK didn't have the balls to repeat what he had previous said about Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

BPKS wrote: »
    Pay Kenny has Shane Ross on to discuss Ireland possibly part-hosting the 2030 FIFA World Cup.

Another pally wally interview - he was on previously to promote his book. And Ross was never available to be interviewed when he was a Minister.

Its a bit like PK slagging Boris Johnson off constantly (although not so much in the last month for some reason) and then having Boris' father on for a number of soft interviews when PK didn't have the balls to repeat what he had previous said about Johnson.

It must annoy some of the more competent minsters or politicians in general who get roasting on Pat Kenny when they hear the fluffy piece with Shane Ross.

Who are the IS franchise?

I’m not condemning the bloody gards. Like I said, I can’t see GSOC ruling any way but in favour of the gardaí involved. I’ve just never heard of an armed unit responding to a knife crime incident but, as humberklog pointed out, it’s not uncommon. That was the only nagging concern I’d had with the whole incident.

The sister said she tried to go out but was told to stay inside, if I heard correctly.

My elderly aunt collapsed and it was the ASU who responded to the call as they were closest.

Are you really surprised they deployed the ASU to reports of a guy wielding a knife?!? Seriously?

Are you really surprised they deployed the ASU to reports of a guy wielding a knife?!? Seriously?

Yes. Considering the reports of a large rise in stabbing and knife crime, in general, I’m wondering how more haven’t been shot.

Again, I would just like to point out, that I don’t think armed responses to armed attackers is a bad idea. But, maybe, an investment in better non-lethal weapons like tasers wouldn’t be a bad move either.

Yes. Considering the reports of a large rise in stabbing and knife crime, in general, I’m wondering how more haven’t been shot.

They've more than likely saw the gun, heeded the warning and dropped the knife as instructed.

Job jobbed.

Firing the gun is the last resort when using a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I get your point but Shane Ross is no longer a public representative so there's really no point in grilling him at this stage. The same way Pat doesn't usually grill journalists who do be on his show contributing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Klonker wrote: »
    I get your point but Shane Ross is no longer a public representative so there's really no point in grilling him at this stage.
    No point in grilling him when he's not a politician, and no opportunity to grill him when he was!

Thankfully the voters of Rathdown finally saw through him in 2020.

Pat will go in two-footed on the UL students this morning no doubt. Easy targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Pat will go in two-footed on the UL students this morning no doubt. Easy targets.

Yep.. Easy for him to pontificate with his secure future, family life, nice home etc

Students being students... shocker! The least at-risk group being sacrificied and demonised by the hysteria brigade.

I think half the issue with people like Pat and even people like Micheal Martin or Tony Holohan is that they or someone close to them would be in the higher-risk brackets through age or medical history, and it's skewing any ability to be objetive.

Hypocrisy from Pat saying to McEntee that the mob is the mob and nothing will happen to them. I don't remember him being so vociferous last year when a mob marched in Dublin City Centre in a bid to look for likes on social media.

EDIT: he also called the students in UL "the elite" which shows a low level of self awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Pat being an absolute ass hat this morning

So even peaceful protest is not allowed?

So even peaceful protest is not allowed?

Only if it's for an "approved" agenda issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep.. Easy for him to pontificate with his secure future, family life, nice home etc

Students being students... shocker! The least at-risk group being sacrificied and demonised by the hysteria brigade.

I think half the issue with people like Pat and even people like Micheal Martin or Tony Holohan is that they or someone close to them would be in the higher-risk brackets through age or medical history, and it's skweing any ability to be objetive.

Do you not think that the idiots in Dublin on Saturday, or the students in Limerick last night would have someone close to them in the higher-risk brackets through age or medical history?

Also, how are they being sacrificed, or demonised?
    Are they not responsible for their own actions- i.e. law-breaking?

How the **** do you stop the gatherings before they happen pat? Internment is it? Knob end

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Only if it's for an "approved" agenda issue

So it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The Mlnister for Justice said that the images were on social media "we've all seen them" re Limerick.
    Eh I did not.
    How can she say something like that

Life is what passes you by while your hiding under the bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Has there ever being a weaker, less able Minister for Justice than McEntee? She really is in way way over her head.
    She just seems to be a front for the NGO's and at the beck and call of her party leader for cover stories.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    The Mlnister for Justice said that the images were on social media "we've all seen them" re Limerick.
    Eh I did not.
    How can she say something like that

Becaue McEntee is one of the new crop of FGers - like Leo - who live on social media and are making policy decisions based on Twitter outrage and agendas.

Advertisement