Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Pat doing a bit of Ivan Yates type winding up this morning. Good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

We live in Ringsend, love them and always like seeing them on flights home.

There are two power stations with high chimney stacks that I can see from the top of a Hill near where I live.

Once the stations are decommissioned in the next 7 or 8 years I hope they are knocked to the ground. Massive eyesores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like them but they should be kept only if they are part of working building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I like the Poolbeg towers but for the love of God give them a lick of paint.

A wee climb up one of the chimneys. I like them but fecked if I'd climb one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The whole area should be redeveloped, both sides of the river.

I’d be a fan of the chimneys, used to have a great view of them from my old office. Would be in favour of keeping them but it’s pointless unless the area is changed.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Fair play to Paul Harrington...always enjoy his classic song slot.

Cole wrote: »
    Fair play to Paul Harrington...always enjoy his classic song slot.

Not a fan of 'Stairway' but that was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭RINO87

Pat doing a bit of Ivan Yates type winding up this morning. Good fun.

Pat in great form this morning. "You do know that they are both different diameters, dont you?!":pac:

I actually have a vision for a monument design to replace the Poolbeg Chimneys, but much prettier, and which would be a beautiful addition to the Dublin skyline. Something along the lines of the spire... but (forgive me) more inspired :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I actually have a vision for a monument design to replace the Poolbeg Chimneys, but much prettier, and which would be a beautiful addition to the Dublin skyline. Something along the lines of the spire... but (forgive me) more inspired :D

That’s not a bad idea. But how about, now bear with me, two spires, side by side? But instead of tapering off at the top we could leave them circular...and open!

Maybe paint them red and white? This idea of yours just might work!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,926 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That’s not a bad idea. But how about, now bear with me, two spires, side by side? But instead of tapering off at the top we could leave them circular...and open!

Seems a bit bland, could there be a flashing light added to them for effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A wee climb up one of the chimneys. I like them but fecked if I'd climb one of them.

Jayus, Dizzy just seeing the thumbnail.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Bit derivative, if you don’t mind my saying so.

Jayus, Dizzy just seeing the thumbnail.

Not a guy with a fear of heights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

meeeeh wrote: »
    I like them but they should be kept only if they are part of working building.

Does it matter if it's working or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Does it matter if it's working or not?

What I meant was you would want something to do with buildings around it. I didn't mean that they still have to burn whatever they were burning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

€2m a year currently to maintain the chimneys. Knock them down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,926 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jay0109 wrote: »
    €2m a year currently to maintain the chimneys. Knock them down

I didn't hear the piece but how could it cost 6,000/ day to maintain the chimneys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I didn't hear the piece but how could it cost 6,000/ day to maintain the chimneys?

Probably a lot of fixed costs like salaries, insurance, etc, and possibly alternative-use value built into that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

jay0109 wrote: »
    Has there ever being a weaker, less able Minister for Justice than McEntee? She really is in way way over her head.
    She just seems to be a front for the NGO's and at the beck and call of her party leader for cover stories.

The previous occupant of the post - Charlie Flanagan - was far worse. There have been few occupants of the office in my lifetime that have been up to the job - the best being Paddy Cooney (mid-1970s) and Michael Noonan (mid-1980s). Hang em, shoot em, bury them and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭plodder

Didn't hear it either, but I heard a figure of €2 million on another program but it didn't say per year. I'd say most of that is the contract to repaint them and they don't do that every year.

Dear God but was that the most distorted interview ever - surely a decent line could have been got......terrible to try and listen to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Dear God but was that the most distorted interview ever - surely a decent line could have been got......terrible to try and listen to?

I know this has been mentioned numerous times on the radio forum already in recent months, but it does keep coming into my head...what's wrong with a good old-fashioned telephone line? (I'm assuming he was using some online platform).

I don't remember such issues back in the day when phone lines were the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Cole wrote: »
    I know this has been mentioned numerous times on the radio forum already in recent months, but it does keep coming into my head...what's wrong with a good old-fashioned telephone line? (I'm assuming he was using some online platform).

I don't remember such issues back in the day when phone lines were the only option.

Absolutely agree. You would think that with all the superfast communication facilities available now that things would be getting better. Instead they seem to be getting worse on both radio and TV. Communication lines seem to be constantly breaking down or ‘freezing’.

And now an interview about a fool who shouldn't be allowed near the internet. :rolleyes:

Now this incompetent fool Stephen Donnelly on waffling and all over the place. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Donnelly the king of bluster and waffle

He should have been sacked months ago but I suppose nobody else wants the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Donnelly is being absolutely ruined here.

Advertisement