Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

leath_dub wrote: »
    Marie Louise O'Donnell? For feck's sake! Pat, you're an awful bollox

I'd love to know how many PK listeners like her contributions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Pat, you're an awful bollox

Says Betty.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'd love to know how many PK listeners like her contributions?

I actually switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

Is propaganda pat still spending a half an hour a day giving out about trump? I can't be listening to him, but I guess he's got plenty of contributors from NGOs and fox news telling him about the 7 year old boys getting raped in detention centres cages at the US/Mexico border?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is propaganda pat still spending a half an hour a day giving out about trump? I can't be listening to him, but I guess he's got plenty of contributors from NGOs and fox news telling him about the 7 year old boys getting raped in detention centres cages at the US/Mexico border?!

Did a “piece” on Trump’s mounting legal troubles yesterday, or the day before, but other than that he only gets a passing mention every now and then.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Marie Louise O'Donnell? For feck's sake! Pat, you're an awful bollox
    I think Mlod is good. She over-eggs it a bit sometimes, like a bad poet performing their own work, but is a good story-teller and astute observer of people. If she would lay off the alliteration, and speak from memory instead of her notes, it wouldn't seem so forced. When she speaks off the cuff, she is very engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I think Mlod is good. She over-eggs it a bit sometimes, like a bad poet performing their own work, but is a good story-teller and astute observer of people. If she would lay off the alliteration, and speak from memory instead of her notes, it wouldn't seem so forced. When she speaks off the cuff, she is very engaging.
    The woman is an absolute dose imo, with her senators pension in the bag, another from the college, and her media gigs after a lifetime sucking on the taxpayers teat it would be hard to find one further removed from the citizenry of the state, she's a terrible windbag and I'd place more weight on a petarade of mouses farts than anything that lady has to say on the plight of todays citizens , other than that though she's ok

I think those prerecorded contributions come across as pretentious waffle. I didn't overly mind her when she was conversing with Pat Kenny but can't listen to her current stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The woman is an absolute dose imo, with her senators pension in the bag, another from the college, and her media gigs after a lifetime sucking on the taxpayers teat it would be hard to find one further removed from the citizenry of the state, she's a terrible windbag and I'd place more weight on a petarade of mouses farts than anything that lady has to say on the plight of todays citizens , other than that though she's ok

:D

Thanks - I needed that laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

SeaFields wrote: »
    I have yet to hear a minister being asked why Astrazeneca have not being sued for breach of contract. They keep blaming them for a slow vaccination process and saying AZ are not keeping up their side of the contract...

Yeah let's sue the company who have made a life saving vaccine for a disease that wasn't even around a year beforehand and is providing it on a not for profit basis, because they over estimated their production capabilities. Hopefully if we sue they'll go bust before they get the chance to provide to them to the third world countries who won't be able to afford the other vaccines. That'll teach them not to try save millions of lives again.

• Advertisement

Ironically, I'm out of waffles, but Simon Coveney is giving them to me via the radio.

I have a friend travelling to Ireland on Saturday(For a legit) reason from Romania and I was going to warn her about the quarantine hotel possibility. Then I read into it.

It only applies to 33 countries. 170 sovereign countries in the world and only 33 apply.

Germany - now having its 4th wave - not on the list
    France - going into heavy lockdown - not on the list
    China - not on the list

!37 countries not on the list. What the actual f&^k?

Because the idea of the quarentining is to avoid new variants that may cause issues for the vaccines, so countries which have new variants are in the list e.g. Brazil, South Africa. We do this because of the worry of the new variants evading the vaccines so we want to catch every single person infected coming from these countries. Its not about stopping the very limited numbers of people that are entering the country from bringing the current virus here as we know that the vaccine is effective against those strains.

Say most countries have a rate of virus of about 1,000 per 100,000 in last 14 days. That would mean at any one time about 1 in 100 people in that country have have the virus so it's far to estimate the same for people on the plane
    If these people are travelling to Ireland they need a negative PCR test 3 days prior to flying, let's say that catches 8 out of every 10 people who plan to fly who are positive. That would leave 1 in every 500 who fly that have the virus. Is it really worth all the effort and cost and alienation it would cause to pick up this 1 in 500 traveller? I really don't think so. Also, no other country in the EU is quarentining in hotels like we are planning to do just to add some context, so we already have the most travel restrictions in the EU as is (starting Friday).

Klonker wrote: »
    Yeah let's sue the company who have made a life saving vaccine for a disease that wasn't even around a year beforehand and is providing it on a not for profit basis, because they over estimated their production capabilities. Hopefully if we sue they'll go bust before they get the chance to provide to them to the third world countries who won't be able to afford the other vaccines. That'll teach them not to try save millions of lives again.

Non for profit might sound nice but at the moment it seem lives are saved a lot more effectively by companies making profit.

They won't go bust and vaccine will be supplied not for profit only till the pandemic is declared over by company (not before June 2021). They posted good profits for other products recently but they seem to be a bit green in the vaccine production. They made so many errors already one has to wonder weather right partner was chosen by Oxford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Whoever the woman who was on with Pat first thing today was, well she encapsulated the frustrations on the 'command person' very well.

Good on her and maybe Pat will see that not everyone is in a cosy job and a cosy house and see things from a different perspective.

BPKS wrote: »
    Whoever the woman who was on with Pat first thing today was, well she encapsulated the frustrations on the 'command person' very well.

Good on her and maybe Pat will see that not everyone is in a cosy job and a cosy house and see things from a different perspective.

yep "Susanne" and I think she is from a parents advocacy group or something, think I've heard her before. She was good and articulated in simple terms the fatigue everyone is feeling and how out of touch the Government and NPHET are, plus all the mixed messaging is turning people off..............

So we should all be trying to get the common cold if we can find it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Could they not have called into the closest school so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

So we should all be trying to get the common cold if we can find it!

It shouldn’t be called the common cold anymore. Nobody seems to have it.

pc7 wrote: »
    Could they not have called into the closest school so!

A few minutes up the motorway to Bray. I have relatives who both attended and taught in St Gerard's, but of course it should have been nearest school. Two private institutions talked to each other here.

Roger_007 wrote: »

If Rhinovirus (the most harmless of all bugs as it causes the mildest forms of common cold) is so effective at keeping out Coronavirus it would be great to keep catching it. However in older people rhinoviruses are less common as by that stage most people have become immune to the hundred and something variants of it. That's why mild colds are much more common in young healthy people.

All those arguments are legitimate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Roger_007 wrote: »

I've had a few in the last 12mts, it's definitely out there. Or else it was Covid going by the current case definition.

I've had a few in the last 12mts, it's definitely out there. Or else it was Covid going by the current case definition.

Same. I had one particularly prolonged one this past February and had another one last November, neither of which were Covid. I wonder if some people are just more susceptible to cold, because it certainly shouldn't be about; it's significantly harder to catch than Covid.

I've had an ongoing chest infection for about a year, has made me horribly unwell at times, which has proved itself to be definitively bacterial as it recently responded immediately to a trial double-dose penicillin, but tries to return again after. Trying to arranged a HD CT is going to be difficult as hospitals don't want you near them with respiratory trouble. It's very likely related to a segment of bronchiectasis connected to one copy of a particularly bad CF deletion gene I discovered I had in past months, which makes clearing bacteria less effective as years go on.

BPKS wrote: »

I actually thought it was a bit pointless winging. People are calling for better messaging from government because there is no certainty but frankly nobody can give us any sort of certainty. It's government fault that it got so bad in winter yet people want to hear that they are allowed to do exactly the same things as in winter and then complain when things get bad again.

Not saying that government is dealing with things particularly well. I think they should be less conservatives with lockdowns but there is a trade off that more people will get sick and die. I'm getting fed with people lying to themselves there is some magic solution. Also I don't if that is uniquely Irish thing because there seem to be a lot less of it in other countries but it seems people feel the need about going over and over the old mistakes (sins). It's like there needs to be constant penance for the sins we committed over Christmas or in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

great stories on remote working hubs... sounds like a great solution, high speed broadband, conference facilities, offices, and affordable housing options, close to great natural amenities and blue flag beaches.. now added financial incentives and tax breaks. this could be a great scheme on a number of levels..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'd imagine there would be a lot more interest than the last time they tried this. You could at least pick where you wanted to live. Plenty of people not from Dublin would love the opportunity to move out of there.

2smiggy wrote: »
    I'd imagine there would be a lot more interest than the last time they tried this. You could at least pick where you wanted to live. Plenty of people not from Dublin would love the opportunity to move out of there.

They already are even without the financial incentive, it seems the job was the only thing tieing them to dublin, now they are free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Mav11

The impact on the economy and the "hollowing" of cities will have to be considered. Lots of small businesses are dependent on the centralised nature of work, in the city setting.

Pat didnt hold back criticising NPHET over the lack of antigen use when interviewing Colm Henry earlier. Have to agree with Pat, we've been hearing NPHET are looking into antigen test use since last summer!

Would be very useful in workplaces like factories where social distancing is hard. If you fail antigen test then you go for a PCR and isolate until you get results and continue to is test positive obviously.

I think NPHETs reluctance is that they think we'll use them to justify calling to other people's homes, 'I used the antigen and passed so I can call over and visit Mary'. Again they have massive mistrust in the population even though the majority have been very adherent since last March.

• Advertisement

Mav11 wrote: »
    The impact on the economy and the "hollowing" of cities will have to be considered. Lots of small businesses are dependent on the centralised nature of work, in the city setting.

100%, dublin's city centre population has increased, but it wouldn't appear to have increased at the pace you might expect, the focus on institutional lands and development of the docklands while laudable hasn't really addressed the core city centre, sooner or later a wholescale regen of dublin 1 will need to be tackled, utilisation of brownfield lands and re-use of existing buildings, but if all this was viable or profitable i imagine it might have started already..

Advertisement