Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Klonker wrote: »
    Pat didnt hold back criticising NPHET over the lack of antigen use when interviewing Colm Henry earlier. Have to agree with Pat, we've been hearing NPHET are looking into antigen test use since last summer!

Would be very useful in workplaces like factories where social distancing is hard. If you fail antigen test then you go for a PCR and isolate until you get results and continue to is test positive obviously.

I think NPHETs reluctance is that they think we'll use them to justify calling to other people's homes, 'I used the antigen and passed so I can call over and visit Mary'. Again they have massive mistrust in the population even though the majority have been very adherent since last March.

Yes it's the same reasoning as it was with masks that people will forget about hand hygiene and other stuff. The people can't be trusted approach can work only so long and after that we all get tired of restrictions and stop ignoring them anyway. It would be preferable if people at least tested themselves first and then ignored the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

It'd be better if the city centre was a desirable, affordable place for people to live in. Then you'd have people spending money in local businesses etc. At the moment, it's a ramshackle mix of businesses and people paying sky-high rents and the more troubled members of society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Dublin City centre has deteriorated a lot in last 10 years. You got the boardwalk that attracted all the druggies making it a no go area now, then the gangland feud that kicked off after the regency, and in past year or 2 there is escalation of young lads causing havoc in sheriff street, pearse street/Irish town areas. Luas red line has been very anti social too. It’s fine if you go there by day and do a bit of shopping, nighttime can be a completely different beast.

I agree with Pat on antigen testing but it is clear that NPHET doesn't overly like it. Pat banging on about the antigen testing in every interview is just pointless.

BTW someone should ask Rosin Shortall what what restrictive measures she is suggesting to her zero covid strategy. I mean SD were zero strategy few months ago when it was fashionable, they are not mentioning it now when people are sick of restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

I really enjoy the Paul Harrington slot, but when Pat says "in your own time...take it away" and Paul's line improves dramatically when he starts playing and singing...ah c'mon lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Opening based on dates is unsafe nonsense, it should only be based on numbers, ie if say less than 100 cases a day for one week outdoor dining reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Butson

Opening based on dates is unsafe nonsense, it should only be based on numbers, ie if say less than 100 cases a day for one week outdoor dining reopened.

No business can operate like that. What is the cases jump up again above the magic number..close?

The last time we had a medium-term roadmap, we got down to single-digit cases (June 2020). I think that's partly because it's easier to adhere to a coherent plan than it is to adhere to an open-ended lockdown.

I dont think it particularly matters whether the roadmap is based on cases or dates, these goals are always given with the proviso "if people stick to the rules and get the cases down". And dates are probably a little more tangible for people's life plans than case numbers, so may provide stronger incentives.

It's this open-ended lockdown that drives a lot of us mad.

Butson wrote: »
    No business can operate like that. What is the cases jump up again above the magic number..close?

What if the government say indoor dining reopens June 6th and then June 6th daily numbers are 7000 again, it can't be based on dates alone.

The last time we had a medium-term roadmap, we got down to single-digit cases (June 2020). I think that's partly because it's easier to adhere to a coherent plan than it is to adhere to an open-ended lockdown.

I dont think it particularly matters whether the roadmap is based on cases or dates, these goals are always given with the proviso "if people stick to the rules and get the cases down". And dates are probably a little more tangible for people's life plans than case numbers, so may provide stronger incentives.

It's this open-ended lockdown that drives a lot of us mad.

I'm not proposing open ended, I'm saying this week they should say if this amount of numbers by this date this happens, there is no other responsible way of doing it.

• Advertisement

The main difference is that it's easier to adhere to plan for a few months than more than a year. Part of the problem is that first lockdown was so long and while many other European countries spent second half of May and most of June with few or no cases we were hoping hairdressers will be eventually able to open. We had horrendously long first lockdown and people still seem to consider it some type of a gold standard when the only good thing was we were not as bad as GB. My friends and family were going to the holidays across Europe last summer and some of us were locked into our counties. So spare me the first lockdown clear plan and Covid management.

Btw I think it should be based on R number, vaccination no. and number of people in hospitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Jesus, that man Pat was interviewing just now was insanely boring! Like, 'zoned out with his voice for 15mins' boring.

Must watch the film though.

Jesus, that man Pat was interviewing just now was insanely boring! Like, 'zoned out with his voice for 15mins' boring.

Must watch the film though.

Wow I thought he was compelling.

I'm not proposing open ended, I'm saying this week they should say if this amount of numbers by this date this happens, there is no other responsible way of doing it.
    It literally worked fine last year. No need to change what isn't broken, notwithstanding the fact that people are tired.

I think any roadmap would be good. But we *all know* that if we get the cases down to where they were last June, society will be fairly well open, except perhaps for pubs. What people need, I think, is a series of 4 week sprints where we meet a given target of cases. There's absolutely no problem with extending the date if we miss the target, but give us dates to aim for.

Listening to some politicians, you'd think this system had failed last year. It may not work as well this time around because of the new variant, but we were dealing with a new virus last March too.

Wow I thought he was compelling.

No, no his story was incredible, just his voice, was like a drone, was hard to pay attention to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

If the rate per 100,000 was used then they would be under pressure to open up regionally which they seem unwilling to do.

For example the current rate per 100,000 in Kerry should mean lots of restrictions lifted but we have to live under the same rules as the entire country as the government and NPHET don't have the ingenuity or balls or both to do that.

It literally worked fine last year. No need to change what isn't broken, notwithstanding the fact that people are tired.

I think any roadmap would be good. But we *all know* that if we get the cases down to where they were last June, society will be fairly well open, except perhaps for pubs. What people need, I think, is a series of 4 week sprints where we meet a given target of cases. There's absolutely no problem with extending the date if we miss the target, but give us dates to aim for.

Listening to some politicians, you'd think this system had failed last year. It may not work as well this time around because of the new variant, but we were dealing with a new virus last March too.

It's not last year unfortunately, the prevailing Kent varient is twice as infectious, it can't be the same methodology.

It's not last year unfortunately, the prevailing Kent varient is twice as infectious, it can't be the same methodology.
    it's not twice as infectious, it's about 50% more infectious. And this time we have vaccines, in the order of a million per month.

I mean, I'm not really affected badly by any of this. But if they only give some intangible target to work towards, it may just be met with apathy and rebellion towards the regulations – that is already implied by the behaviour of a significant minority of the population according to the CSO. We should probably stick with what worked last summer

it's not twice as infectious, it's about 50% more infectious. And this time we have vaccines, in the order of a million per month.

I mean, I'm not really affected badly by any of this. But if they only give some intangible target to work towards, it may just be met with apathy and rebellion towards the regulations – that is already implied by the behaviour of a significant minority of the population according to the CSO. We should probably stick with what worked last summer

The tangible target should be numbers it's simple.

The case numbers are currently growing. What kind of targets do you think are realistic? Unless it's something to do with vaccination levels I don't see how you can set dates.

I would just like them to try antigen testing as widely as possible.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    The case numbers are currently growing. What kind of targets do you think are realistic? Unless it's something to do with vaccination levels I don't see how you can set dates.

I would just like them to try antigen testing as widely as possible.
    Use UK data to predict the current trajectory of hospitalisations based on NIAC's vaccination rollout and the R-rate of the virus. Use that to set 4- or 6-week 'sprints' to work towards reducing the major indicators.

As with last year, make it known that those dates are fluid, depending on any progress that is made. It's much easier for a person to restrict their movements if they're given a tangible target rather than saying "get it down to 25 cases, sometime, whenever"

Use UK data to predict the current trajectory of hospitalisations based on NIAC's vaccination rollout and the R-rate of the virus. Use that to set 4- or 6-week 'sprints' to work towards reducing the major indicators.

As with last year, make it known that those dates are fluid, depending on any progress that is made. It's much easier for a person to restrict their movements if they're given a tangible target rather than saying "get it down to 25 cases, sometime, whenever"

Nphet refused to endorse masks even after they were recommended by WHO, they refuse to recommend faster, less accurate testing methods even after EMA approved them. Doing something based on the projections from other country would probably cause widespread panic. As for fluid targets we have that and they are being constantly moved from February. Level 5 was only supposed to last till sometime in February.

As it happens I agree some sort of the roadmap should be given but on the basis of admissions into hospitals, numbers in ICU and vaccination rates not dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Regardless of your (party) political inclinations, you have to hand to to Paschal...he's a very good media performer. Despite the predictable political spin, he's usually well able for any interview/interviewer and can handle the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What was that music tone that cut off the call?

Cole wrote: »
    Regardless of your (party) political inclinations, you have to hand to to Paschal...he's a very good media performer. Despite the predictable political spin, he's usually well able for any interview/interviewer and can handle the questions.
    I don't understand how he is not Taoiseach tbh, but he's good in Finance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do like Bill Hughes film slot.

It's a lovely break from the actual news, reminds me of when I actually cared about films.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do like Bill Hughes film slot.

It's a lovely break from the actual news, reminds me of when I actually cared about films.

What was todays movie?

What was todays movie?
    image.jpg

Men in Supermarkets
    by
    Marie Louise O'Donnell

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    Men in Supermarkets