Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sorry, didnt mean illness.

No prob.

Its just a big bugbear of mine when people with intellectual disabilities are regarded as such despite the fact that they are often perfectly healthy both physically and mentally.

I see it everyday with people I work with.

Although I'm probably being a bit bitchy about it tonight (esp with two of my fav boardsies).

BOC would probably be the first one to tell me to shut it. :o
    And there are days when I'd be the first to agree with him !

But at least we can all be glad his daughter Mary isn't ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lapin wrote: »
    Although I'm probably being a bit bitchy about it tonight (esp with two of my fav boardsies).

I would have said pedantic.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

No prob.

Its just a big bugbear of mine when people with intellectual disabilities are regarded as such despite the fact that they are often perfectly healthy both physically and mentally.

I see it everyday with people I work with.

BOC would probably be the first one to tell me to shut it. :o
    And there are days when I'd be the first to agree with him !

But at least we can all be glad his daughter Mary isn't ill.

True. A fair point well made, Lapin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭sudzs

Pat is happy enough to call it St. James's Gate but insists on calling St James's Hospital St James Hospital.

I find him a bit pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Pat is about to talk about the men and woman hanged in Mountjoy Jail.

For anyone who is interested in the case of Harry Gleeson, there is a thread in the Tipperary Region Forum regarding same. It makes for very interesting reading.

See link below:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055723478&page=7

(thanks to MrsD for telling me this was on the show...:):):))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I enjoyed that interview, sounds like an interesting read from Tim Carey.

Best of luck to the Gleeson family who are petitioning for a Pardon for the late Harry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

sudzs wrote: »
    Pat is happy enough to call it St. James's Gate but insists on calling St James's Hospital St James Hospital.

I find him a bit pretentious.

Only a bit? Pat's pretentiousness is part of his charm, it's funny. Like when he can be heard quietly saying "yaw" during interviews. It's far form "yaws" he was reared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kenny actually said "to mark Arthur's Day..." at the start of the Dermot/Diarmaid Ferriter history slot! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Just listening to that interview with a rep of the legal profession and I'm livid. I was one of those who did go to the bother and inconvenience of turning up in Ennis this week. Without doubt one experience of how the court system actually operates is enough to convince anybody to do their best to avoid it in future. I am not being critical of the judge (he was operating the system as it exists) but as with the medical profession, the legal profession operates on the basis that nobody's time is of any consequence except, of course, theirs. I came away with the clear impression that every effort was made to drag procedures out for as long as possible clearly in the interests of nobody except the solicitors & barrasters.
    People who do turn up for jury service are treated disgracefully - in most cases they are people who have had no previous interaction whatever with the court service, indeed, in many cases they may never have stood in a courthouse let alone a courtroom in their life. People responding to a jury summons are left standing about without adequate seating, given no information (not even told where the toilets are!). When eventually called, there was no announcement just a kind of vague Chinese whisper & people following others like sheep assuming the person in front knew where they were going. The procedures of the court service are like going back in time to the 1800's and IMO could be speeded up and a lot could be done with more efficiency and dispatch. Ennis courthouse is quite modern and microphones are fitted but only the judge seemed to want to use it. Even when lists of peoples names were being called out the lady did not use the microphone provided and as legal staff & gardaí were passing in and out it was actually quite difficult to hear her. Having been requested to attend at 10am, nothing started until 10:30 or later - indeed on no occasion did they appear to be ready to get on with the job at the start time advised.
    The entire experience could be likened to nothing but an episode of Faulty Towers. One thing the experience did for me was to convince me to vote NO to any new layer of court service. The entire set up is an andequated shambles IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not sure why you're livid with the solicitor, he was there to discuss on how to get more people willing to turn up for jury duty. And without being properly informed as to what the new referendum is about, why bother voting at all as you seem to be unaware of what's being asked of you ?

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Not sure why you're livid with the solicitor, he was there to discuss on how to get more people willing to turn up for jury duty. And without being properly informed as to what the new referendum is about, why bother voting at all as you seem to be unaware of what's being asked of you ?

I was livid with him because he was attempting to blame ordinary people for not turning up for jury service or asking to be excused. At no time did he make any mention of cutting out the nonsense and making the existing system more efficient and modern.

As to the referendum I am aware of what it's about - creating another layer of income for the legal profession. Modernise what we already have - someone actually said on Morning Ireland that solicitors & barrasters will fill whatever time is made available, of course they will when it's of benefit to their pockets. That is why there are backlogs - it's in their interest :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I thought that slot was quite good.
    I didnt think he was blaming people (though I would blamd them).

The extended piece on the Mountjoy hangings was facinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

This is dreadful. Who cares about Will xfactor whatshisname. Don't we have a budget coming up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Not a big fan of Terry Prone but at least she admits she has herself to blame for going mad during the boom by buying an ivory tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Not a big fan of Terry Prone but at least she admits she has herself to blame for going mad during the boom by buying an ivory tower.

That is too funny for words.

:)

whilst im no fan of diageo this is boardering on witchunt territory.

get the fup over it jonothan, no one cares beside you and the media set who seem to have

disappeard up their own hole on the issue.

by the sounds of things nothing fecking happend that wouldnt happen on an ordinary sat night anyway.

(whoops, sorry put this in the wrong thread, shouldve been in the newstalk one )

Healy is a typical hack: trying to create the news instead of just reporting the news.

Its mad.

nothing happened despite all the scaremongering from the media and medical heads and now theyre trying to take credit for it in a "oh they listened to us " way.

utter utter delussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

In fairness the Diageo bloke should have followed through on his agreement to go to an A&E if only to keep his word - but then for Healy to get pedantic on his wording on Primetime was bordering on petty & childish.

Back to Pat, I was gutted to hear Terry Prone on his show - really thought the likes of her were consigned to history with the big move. Leave the RTE dinosaurs where they belong Pat - we're sick of listening to them.

And now she's managing Rory.. Dear god, I hope he doesnt get any investment advice from..

• Advertisement

Junkies or alcos with psychological problems living next door? Oooh yes please!

This is the kind of fcuked up liberal thinking which has led to two children being raped in Athlone.

Junkies or alcos with psychological problems living next door? Oooh yes please!

This is the kind of fcuked up liberal thinking which has led to two children being raped in Athlone.

Ah now in fairness that's a major bit of a leap to make

Callan57 wrote: »
    Ah now in fairness that's a major bit of a leap to make

Hardly. Junkies and criminals are being dumped in private estates across Ireland with no supervision. It is left to residents to watch them because decent residents are not told what kind of history these people have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

that mcverry fella and his "trust" are out of touch with reality. bunch of do gooders who think its people whove made somthing of their lives and contributed to society and the upkeep of the country who should just let these junkies and scum get what they want and have the run of the place so they wont be discriminated against. landlords dont want those people because their unreliable payers, have no respect for others and cause more trouble then a tennant scraping to make a living and a good home.

The Dutch have the right approach. Build "Scum Villages" on the outskirts of Cities, built from perfectly habitable shipping containers and house anti social, persistent trouble makers in them, where Cops and social services can keep a close eye. If they prove over time that they're suitable to live with normal functioning society, then they're allowed to integrate in normal communities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

The Dutch have the right approach. Build "Scum Villages" on the outskirts of Cities, built from perfectly habitable shipping containers and house anti social, persistent trouble makers in them, where Cops and social services can keep a close eye. If they prove over time that they're suitable to live with normal functioning society, then they're allowed to integrate in normal communities.

saw that on one of the news bulletins on tv a few weeks ago. theyd shiped (:D ) some roma pikey family out into them and the scumbags were still giving out that they couldnt get any shopping and the mother had no where to put her tv. their so thick they didnt get the concept but it would be great here but you can imagien all the do gooders winging the bleeding heart duffy to give out about these "poor" scumbags being victimised and marginallised from society

Who is this idiot?
    Nobody pays tax & everybody gets everything for free - cloud cuckoo land!
    Couldn't listen to this nonsense - off to SOR

What right did The Bodyguard have to be there? I dont like this guy or his implied intimidation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

I don't know whether to feel sorry for Gilroy or Kenny here. Gilroy can't make an argument he can back up and agrees with Kenny when he makes the opposite point, and Kenny is sitting there trying not to make him look like too much of a moron. A bit sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Who is this chancer?

Is this what "direct democracy" is?

Mobs & populism....

..... This "democracy" is not in my name.

Advertisement