Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BailMeOut wrote: »
    The joke is on you I think!

This one got me, but only because I don't get, or care, about the Dub-Wickla divide.

The breakfast show one was really obvious for what it was, a prank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

gourcuff wrote: »
    the brayruit natives dont seem happy about joining dublin, sure they are practically howiyas already what does a little governance change matter?
    Brayruit, hilarious and so edgy.

You clearly don't know Bray, a town of over 30k, it has more good areas than bad.

Not sure if the piece on Newstalk was an April Fool's joke or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Kevtherev1

dulpit wrote: »
    Ye can discuss how men have it so tough here https://touch.boards.ie/forum/1136

:rolleyes:

Get off the computer, your mommy is calling you with a list of chores to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Joe Biden's dog has bitten White House staff for the 2nd time. Can you imagine what the leading piece would have been on Pat's show today and a few weeks ago if Trump had dogs who committed such an atrocity!

gourcuff wrote: »
    the brayruit natives dont seem happy about joining dublin, sure they are practically howiyas already what does a little governance change matter?

What a passive aggressive, problematic attitude you have. Chin up kid. Get with the times.

• Advertisement

While paschal does know his brief he spins what he says with marketing speak speak so he seems like he knows more than what he does.
    Ah no, marketing-speak is no relation to macroeconomics and finance policy.

Paschal O'Donoghue has a unique gift (in Irish politics) of being able to explain macroeconomic and monetary policy with clarity, and clarity of purpose.

I doubt there is a Finance Minister in the EU with such disagreeable economic policies, combined with Paschal's chummy disposition. Only Paschal delivers the hard blows with casual panache. This guy will go far. It helps that he really knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

It helps that he really knows what he's talking about in his little squirrel voice

You missed a bit.

You missed a bit.

Caweful now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Paschal O'Donoghue has a unique gift (in Irish politics) of being able to explain macroeconomic and monetary policy with clarity, and clarity of purpose.

I doubt there is a Finance Minister in the EU with such disagreeable economic policies, combined with Paschal's chummy disposition. Only Paschal delivers the hard blows with casual panache. This guy will go far. It helps that he really knows what he's talking about.

Yeah he's very impressive in fairness to him. He's well able to brush off the punches thrown at him too.

He may lack a bit of charisma though. I have a feeling if you showed the senior cabinets face to a random selection of the public his would one of the least recognisable even though he has one of the most important briefs, though the fact he hasn't had any big scandals yet could be part of that too.

Klonker wrote: »
    Yeah he's very impressive in fairness to him. He's well able to brush off the punches thrown at him too.

He may lack a bit of charisma though.

Do you really think?

I wonder. I find him very likeable, yet our politics couldn't be further apart. You're right about his Teflon nature. That's a dangerous characteristic, we have learned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Do you really think?

I wonder. I find him very likeable, yet our politics couldn't be further apart. You're right about his Teflon nature. That's a dangerous characteristic, we have learned!

The media are already talking up the two Simons having a run off for leader when Leo goes. I've never heard Pascal's name mentioned once even though he's come through unscathed from a difficult brief of balancing the books. Let's just say when he does leave the Finance brief I'll be more worried about whoever takes over than I was with Pascal.

The media are already talking up the two Simons having a run off for leader when Leo goes. I've never heard Pascal's name mentioned once even though he's come through unscathed from a difficult brief of balancing the books. Let's just say when he does leave the Finance brief I'll be more worried about whoever takes over than I was with Pascal.

Oh I'm sure P O'D will stroll into the leadership when Varadkar goes. Even his enemies like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He's not PO'D he's PD.

Pascal Donohue.

In a way it's a sort of a statement about the man's public persona.

He is so inoffensive and blending into the background that people don't even get his name right. :)

elperello wrote: »
    He's not PO'D he's PD.

Pascal Donohue.

He is so inoffensive and blending into the background that people don't even get his name right. :)
    Just my mistake, and you're quite right. P.D. of course. Like the political party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Pascal is heading for the gravy train to trump all gravy trains when his stint as finance minister is over mark my words Brussels is calling him, untold riches await for Pascal

But the books aren’t balanced ! We now have enormous debt to pay back and it’s more frightening than Covid .

Paschal will be gone off to Europe without a backward glance . It’s the regular hardworking tax payer and our children that will have to pay this back for the rest of our lives . There’s nothing balanced about Ireland’s finances right now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭zell12

But the books aren’t balanced ! We now have enormous debt to pay back and it’s more frightening than Covid .
    Paschal will be gone off to Europe without a backward glance . It’s the regular hardworking tax payer and our children that will have to pay this back for the rest of our lives . There’s nothing balanced about Ireland’s finances right now. :(
    Aye, but all countries are in this scenario now.
    Something will have to change in global financing akin to after we go through a world war

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

He doesn’t actually explain anything but he makes it sound as if he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

elperello wrote: »
    He's not PO'D he's PD.

Pascal Donohue

This seems to happens a lot...easy mistake to make I guess.

By the way, he's Paschal not Pascal;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭touts

Tuned in late but who is this cranky self important gob****e retired doctor. He seems to believe everyone around him was an incompetent idiot bar him. The more I listen to him the more I dislike his egotistical attitude. He seems to have written a book mainly to settle scores with people (groups and individuals) he worked with and to demonstrate his superiority to the rest of humanity.

I'd say his former colleagues held a party the day after he left.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    Tuned in late but who is this cranky self important gob****e retired doctor. He seems to believe everyone around him was an incompetent idiot bar him. The more I listen to him the more I dislike his egotistical attitude. He seems to have written a book mainly to settle scores with people (groups and individuals) he worked with and to demonstrate his superiority to the rest of humanity.

I'd say his former colleagues held a party the day after he left.

I had the opposite reaction. I've never heard him before, but he seems to have a good healthy dose of cynicism about his former profession. He did acknowledge that he'd put as much thought into choosing a suit as he did into choosing his profession and many of his colleagues (back in the day) would have have chosen law as quickly as medicine. The vocational types certainly exist (in all professions), but I think he was making the point that not everyone does medicine because they want to 'make a difference'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭touts

Cole wrote: »
    I had the opposite reaction. I've never heard him before, but he seems to have a good healthy dose of cynicism about his former profession. He did acknowledge that he'd put as much thought into choosing a suit as he did into choosing his profession and many of his colleagues (back in the day) would have have chosen law as quickly as medicine. The vocational types certainly exist (in all professions), but I think he was making the point that not everyone does medicine because they want to 'make a difference'.

I'm all for cynicism especially with the health service management. But he was really putting the knife into his colleagues and even patients. Yes some of his stories may seem funny until you realise the young doctors annoying him because they are "walking and talking" are probably doing so because they are racing from patient to patient and don't have the time to sit down and contemplate things like he did. I just really disliked his "I know best the rest of them are all idiots" attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Since Trump is gone, his focus has turned to antigen tests. Not sure if it would make much of a difference.

He was bleating on about the Covid approach of the old Czech republic (now Czechia) for weeks/months on end. No mention of them now thou.

NT news at 11 letting us know that Laura Whitmore has had a baby and is "so in love"...thanks for prioritising that and including those important news stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Don't think I ever heard Pat say "get the finger out" until just there. Genuine question: where is the finger?

I'm glad those texters raised the live animal export issue and the Suez canal after Healy's usual shtick piece.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0330/1207041-suez-canal/

forumdedum wrote: »
    Don't think I ever heard Pat say "get the finger out" until just there. Genuine question: where is the finger?

The insinuation is that it's up the bum, but why would it be? I think it started life as a British army joke, but that whole tendency for auto-rectal-palpation is beyond me

The insinuation is that it's up the bum, but why would it be? I think it started life as a British army joke, but that whole tendency for auto-rectal-palpation is beyond me

Just googled it there (which maybe I should have done before posting) and it refers to putting finger in a cannon, as you refer.

I'm no prude but I hate that phrase. Guess Pat is trying to be with it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

forumdedum wrote: »

old saying, that I would have heard plenty of times off my elders at work over the last 20 + years !!

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    old saying, that I would have heard plenty of times off my elders at work over the last 20 + years !!

I never heard Pat Kenny say it.

I know the phrase.

Advertisement