Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

forumdedum wrote: »
    I never heard Pat Kenny say it.

I know the phrase.

My partner commented that it was “very unPat-like”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Cole wrote: »
    This seems to happens a lot...easy mistake to make I guess.

By the way, he's Paschal not Pascal;)

Proves my point I guess :)

It’s amazing how government departments can’t communicate and work together on one thing but can initiate an American style, NSA level, of data sharing between departments when it comes to spying on kids with autism.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Very sloppy language from Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

It’s amazing how government departments can’t communicate and work together on one thing but can initiate an American style, NSA level, of data sharing between departments when it comes to spying on kids with autism.

9 11 was happened due to those exact agencies not sharing data so it’s not unique to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

elperello wrote: »
    He's not PO'D he's PD.

Pascal Donohue.

It's Paschal, with a 'h'
    His name is rich with potential pitfalls.

It's Paschal, with a 'h'
    His name is rich with potential pitfalls.

Fiscal Donoghue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Fiscal Donoghue

Fischal, surely?

I happened to catch Paschal on RTE News Now last year when they showed his inaugural meeting as President of the Eurogroup. In congratulating him, all the other delegates used the French/continental pronunciation for Pascal...so he's always been that in my head since then.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Fischal, surely?

Typo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭franglan

Cole wrote: »
    I had the opposite reaction. I've never heard him before, but he seems to have a good healthy dose of cynicism about his former profession. He did acknowledge that he'd put as much thought into choosing a suit as he did into choosing his profession and many of his colleagues (back in the day) would have have chosen law as quickly as medicine. The vocational types certainly exist (in all professions), but I think he was making the point that not everyone does medicine because they want to 'make a difference'.

Reminded me of Jeremy the gynecologist in Paths to Freedom on radio with Gerry Ryan selling his book "Women inside/out - the do's and don'ts of childbirth".

"Can I just say Gerry you should have got the Late Late - who cares if you're from the northside..."

What was that all about earlier - sounds hilarious in yer man's head, a sideways glance at the health industry - ah no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Very

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

2smiggy wrote: »
    Since Trump is gone, his focus has turned to antigen tests. Not sure if it would make much of a difference.

He was bleating on about the Covid approach of the old Czech republic (now Czechia) for weeks/months on end. No mention of them now thou.

Why did they change again? Just got used to calling it Czech Rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Why did they change again? Just got used to calling it Czech Rep.

2016 according to Wikipedia... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_the_Czech_Republic#Adoption_of_Czechia

Also: it hasn't been Czechoslovakia since 1992

Chechnya...Czechia...

Ketchup-vs-Catsup.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Is it pronounced with a hard ch?

Sorry, as in Chekia'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is it pronounced with a hard ch?

Sorry, as in Chekia'.
    Yep.

What's with countries changing their names? Swaziland changed to Eswatini recently as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Yep.

What's with countries changing their names? Swaziland changed to Eswatini recently as well.

Sponsorship deal?

Sponsorship deal?
    Petfix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I almost never listen to him but only of late have caught a few weekend highlights. But this Paul Harrington is incredible. He sings like an angel. I have never heard anyone sing live in a studio like him. Pure quality.

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »
    I almost never listen to him but only of late have caught a few weekend highlights. But this Paul Harrington is incredible. He sings like an angel. I have never heard anyone sing live in a studio like him. Pure quality.

His slot on the show is usually excellent, but I'm pretty sure his actual performance of the song is pre-recorded (I'm open to correction)...the quality of his line to Pat usually improves dramatically when he starts singing.

Still really good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Pat Kenny, 'Parse & Math' are two of his current favourite words, never misses a chance to use either of them when the opportunity arises ...

'Math' is a real hobby horse for him at the mo.

My main gripe though is about his annoying habit of incessantly interrupting & talking over his guests. Take any topic, from nuclear fusion to the molecular structure of a flower, and Pat will make sure that he not only asks the questions, but mostly answers them himself :cool:

Radio 4 do proper interviews. Interviewer asks question, then let's the guest (the expert) flow naturally (without being interrupted & steered in a certain direction). Pat loves to steer, specially when it comes to politics, always prompting his guest in a certain direction. I prefer the neutral interviewer approach myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

pat calling the rugger schools crowd bizarre, traoillach wont like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Is it me, or has the format been changed this morning? Haven't heard covid be mentioned at all in the first 37 mins. Just people dumping rubbish, and now Ross O'Carroll Kelly.
    Its usually its the main thing every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Is it me, or has the format been changed this morning? Haven't heard covid be mentioned at all in the first 37 mins. Just people dumping rubbish, and now Ross O'Carroll Kelly.
    Its usually its the main thing every morning.

Might be prerecorded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Might be prerecorded?

Ah! Yeah your right.
    Hes off today so.

Might be prerecorded?
    Some interviews seem pre-recorded but he's getting texts.

Pat seemed to be blaming farmers on dumping rubbish in old bags of 10:10:20 and someone texted to point out that actually Pat, non-farmers have those bags too, that's what you buy your timber in; and Pat gave a little chuckle and was like "I don't THINK so!". No, really Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Xander10

Pat doing a good job on this teacher

I didn't catch his name but this teachers union guy is really poor...not doing much to convince a sceptical listener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ya the Paul Harrington piece where he sings the song is definitely prerecorded

Advertisement