Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

meeeeh wrote: »
    Which is the most medically sensible approach?

(WHO claim the fastest one.)
    Yep, the fastest approach is probably the best.

We're probably on the same page here. Just saying that our health bureaucracy should be able to develop a list of school employees and members of an Garda, or if they cannot do it, admit so. Don't tell us that the scientific evidence dictates that guys like me, working from home, need to be vaccinated a month before a frontline worker. That's what has a lot of teachers aghast, I suggest.

Bear in mind also, as has been pointed out by PK, that the people making these administrative decisions are HSE workers, working from home. They have been vaccinated.

There were zero concerns about speed when they were being vaccinated, despite not being on the front line. I'll leave it at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Bear in mind also, as has been pointed out by PK, that the people making these administrative decisions are HSE workers, working from home. They have been vaccinated.

There were zero concerns about speed when they were being vaccinated, despite not being on the front line. I'll leave it at that!

Just a quick point. Approximately the same amount of vaccines will be delivered per month now as they were before in 3 months. Scaling up like that means it's harder to catch up if there are delays. Also UK seems to have very effective vaccine delivery and theirs is given by age. It makes sense to copy good practices from elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the more I listen to luke o'neill the more I realise that i have never seen himself and stephen donnelly in the same room .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Pat giving Stephen Donnelly a very easy time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Shopping Mall :cool:

Must add this to Pat's other buzz words like Math & parse. Not the first time he's used shopping mall in a local context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

zell12 wrote: »
    Pat giving Stephen Donnelly a very easy time :(

I seen the health minister was on and I thought great, haven't heard much of him lately and a good chance for Pat to question him in a few things.

But Pat spent half the time asking him what he thought on hospitals giving vaccines out order, GAA teams training and colleges going abroad for training. Of course Stephen was going to agree that these things were wrong, it was a waste of timing asking him stuff like that. Pat might as well of been asking him 'can you wag your finger as these people? and those people? and those other people? '.

I really feel Pat is starting to lose his touch a bit. He's starting to act like 'old man yells at cloud'. Though maybe this is what his listeners want, a lot are probably 65+ like himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Klonker wrote: »
    I really feel Pat is starting to lose his touch a bit. He's starting to act like 'old man yells at cloud'. Though maybe this is what his listeners want, a lot are probably 65+ like himself.
    Though you'll have a lot of people on here telling you that people in that age bracket have their radios stuck on Radio 1 all day, seemingly unable (or unwilling) to "move the dial" ...

Klonker wrote: »
    I seen the health minister was on and I thought great, haven't heard much of him lately and a good chance for Pat to question him in a few things.

But Pat spent half the time asking him what he thought on hospitals giving vaccines out order, GAA teams training and colleges going abroad for training. Of course Stephen was going to agree that these things were wrong, it was a waste of timing asking him stuff like that. Pat might as well of been asking him 'can you wag your finger as these people? and those people? and those other people? '.

to be fair that's what ALL media and social media outlets are asking and its pure ****e! They just want to stir things up, to keep people angry and outraged at something. I guess its clickbait and fodder for them. Each show carries it on. It starts with Ciara K and Shane C in the morning, then Pat , then Andrea then Ciara Cuddihy at 4pm, all rehashing the same stories, all finger pointing, all blaming.
    To be fair to Pat he is usually very balanced, but he is a stickler for the Covid rules and has no mercy on those who break them...... probably because he is in his 70's and more at risk himself, and also because he has spent most of the last year broadcasting from his mansion in Dalkey and could be a bit out of touch with regular folk! :D

To be fair to Pat he is usually very balanced, but he is a stickler for the Covid rules and has no mercy on those who break them...... probably because he is in his 70's and more at risk himself, and also because he has spent most of the last year broadcasting from his mansion in Dalkey and could be a bit out of touch with regular folk! :D
    yes, I doubt that Pat's palatial palace has net curtains on the windows, but if he had any, they would be a-twitchin'.

I dislike his vocal disdain for young people contravening the rules, even though his criticisms are valid. We don't want to turn into a country of pointers and blamers. People are very tired, and the whole reason why lockdown is so impressive is because most people are doing our best to stick to it. If you see some teenagers having cans on the beach (i am speaking now to Pat), vent about it in your own time. I suspect that most of us don't want to know, and it probably just puts us in a bad mood.

It may even give a false impression to people that everyone else is ignoring lockdown, and make them inclined to do the same. It isn't constructive or helpful at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

It's always striking how loyalists like Billy Hutchinson can show some bit of friendliness and respect towards Pat (and other presenters), but every time someone from the DUP is on, they can hardly disguise their contempt for having to speak to someone from down south.

In fairness, Jeffrey Donaldson is an exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Cole wrote: »
    It's always striking how loyalists like Billy Hutchinson can show some bit of friendliness and respect towards Pat (and other presenters), but every time someone from the DUP is on, they can hardly disguise their contempt for having to speak to someone from down south.

They don’t think Pat understands the sitchiation.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I listened to podcasts from yesterday's shows of Kenny and Claire Byrne. Sammy Wilson was on rte, what a waste of an interview. Its everyone's fault, blame sinn fein, blame Dublin, etc etc. Shouting over Claire Hanna, shouting over Philip Boucher Hayes, and generally unwilling to address the topic at hand.

Jeffrey Donaldson on the other hand gave a well measured interview. You'd find it hard to disagree with much he said, and he was unequivocal in his condemnation of the rioters. It's bizarre the difference in behaviour between 2 mps from the same party...

One thing I always wonder too about the unionists. We saw that the British media and press didnt really cover anything going on in the North, whereas the Irish media obviously did. I wonder do they ever notice that the general Irish population and institutions care far more about the North in general versus the British..

dulpit wrote: »
    Jeffrey Donaldson on the other hand gave a well measured interview. You'd find it hard to disagree with much he said, and he was unequivocal in his condemnation of the rioters. It's bizarre the difference in behaviour between 2 mps from the same party...

Yes, he was good...probably the only DUPer who is actually worth listening to. He's not really a 'true' DUPer though. I think he jumped ship from the UUP for career reasons too, once he could see that the writing was on the wall for their future. I think the 'real' DUPers are a special breed altogether...e.g. Sammy Wilson, Gregory Campbell.
    One thing I always wonder too about the unionists. We saw that the British media and press didnt really cover anything going on in the North, whereas the Irish media obviously did. I wonder do they ever notice that the general Irish population and institutions care far more about the North in general versus the British..

Maybe they do and that explains the chips and permanent simmering bitterness.

DUP bitterness that is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

I don't care about the North and I don't know anyone who does. Just because the media use it as a cheap filler for news doesn't mean the general population wants to hear about it.

The best solution for all is if Northern Ireland became an independent state for a few decades which might let he bitterness from both sides to die away.
    The problems will never be solved when different communities want to belong to different countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I think there is a particular reason why the current rioting is not being widely cover by the British media and that is Brexit. The British media, particularly the printed media, is bending over backwards not to report any negative consequences of Brexit. Even though there is plenty to report. If those consequences are covered - it's all the EU's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ahwell wrote: »
    I think there is a particular reason why the current rioting is not being widely cover by the British media and that is Brexit. The British media, particularly the printed media, is bending over backwards not to report any negative consequences of Brexit. Even though there is plenty to report. If those consequences are covered - it's all the EU's fault.

I think you might have a point there. I read The Guardian and The Times daily. The Guardian has some coverage of issues exporters have and delays on border infrastructure when they are not dealing with important issues like which photographer knows how to photograph black models and other pressing Twitter matters. That is completely missing in The Times, who had to back peddle a little bit with their 'Europeans are stupid and French are extra stupid because we have Astra Zeneca' rhetoric... Anything that doesn't scream Brexit is the best thing ever and Singapore on Thames seems to be ignored.

Paul Harrington nailing it again...what's that in my eye. A nice tribute to Shay Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Paul Harrington nailing it again...what's that in my eye. A nice tribute to Shay Healy.

Himself and Bill Hughes are the highlights of the week for me. Exactly whats needed in a world full of bad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Would be great if they would give the AZ to anyone once a form is signed accepting the tiny risks, I'd do it right now.

• Advertisement

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Himself and Bill Hughes are the highlights of the week for me. Exactly whats needed in a world full of bad news.

I think the fact that they're both so clearly into what they're doing and seem like genuinely nice fellas adds to the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Ahwell wrote: »

The British have zero interest in NI, neither the government or the people. I have a brother who lives in London and they said that during the Brexit campaign when there were heated debates in pubs and workplaces nobody ever mentioned NI or the potential problems it might cause. Anytime he tried to raise the subject he was generally met with a wall of indifference and total ignorance like “what’s that got to do with anything”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The British have zero interest in NI, neither the government or the people. I have a brother who lives in London and they said that during the Brexit campaign when there were heated debates in pubs and workplaces nobody ever mentioned NI or the potential problems it might cause. Anytime he tried to raise the subject he was generally met with a wall of indifference and total ignorance like “what’s that got to do with anything”.

I agree, I lived there for a long time and that would be my experience too. My point was more to do with how the predominantly pro-Tory media (The 'Tory Press') is handling brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Another excellent show from ole Pat, makes the working from home morning hours fly, love it.

was driving for the show, what was the film Bill Hughes was talking about, I can't remember the name !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

2smiggy wrote: »
    was driving for the show, what was the film Bill Hughes was talking about, I can't remember the name !!
    Topkapi

On BBC4 tomorrow night apparently.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Topkapi

On BBC4 tomorrow night apparently.

thanks , something different to watch !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bill Hughes certainly talked it up, I have it set to record to enjoy at the weekend.

There's a programme on afterwards of P Ustinov interviews with Parkinson, could be entertaining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Turkish wrestling! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Frank McDonald on Pat Kenny later this morning. Should be good :rolleyes:

Advertisement