Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Very good honest interview Leo Varadkar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

2smiggy wrote: »

Followed by a very poor interview with Frank McDonald(?).

Two NIMBYs having a discussion about planning.

Not sure where they think everybody will live in the future (McNally seems to think 8 2-storey houses being knocked for an apartment development is the crime of the century).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

BPKS wrote: »
    Followed by a very poor interview with Frank McDonald(?).

Two NIMBYs having a discussion about planning.

Not sure where they think everybody will live in the future (McNally seems to think 8 2-storey houses being knocked for an apartment development is the crime of the century).

Very poor?! The two of them were having a “field day”! I’d say Pat feels like a new man after unloading all that and having a sympathetic ear to go with it.

I really enjoy it when Pat vents on the planners. It must be great to have a national “platform” to go nuts on an arm of the public service. Especially, when that can’t respond. Well, won’t respond. They don’t really have much of a leg to stand on.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Very poor?! The two of them were having a “field day”! I’d say Pat feels like a new man after unloading all that and having a sympathetic ear to go with it.

I really enjoy it when Pat vents on the planners. It must be great to have a national “platform” to go nuts on an arm of the public service. Especially, when that can’t respond. Well, won’t respond. They don’t really have much of a leg to stand on.

I suppose that's what I mean.

When there is one contributor on about a certain topic that they have very strong views on, the interviewer should play Devils Advocate and try get the other point of view across.

But Pat didn't do that and in fact did the total opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

I suppose that's what I mean.

When there is one contributor on about a certain topic that they have very strong views on, the interviewer should play Devils Advocate and try get the other point of view across.

But Pat didn't do that and in fact did the total opposite.

Unfortunately Pat has a vested interest here so it turned out to be a 1 sided debate.

"Let's all hate Bord Pleanala... wah wah wah"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I thought it was a very good interview too. It felt like a nice friendly chat where we got a bit of information and he showed a bit of optimism that's badly needed at the moment. Wasn't afraid to say he gets some of the newer vaccines names coming on stream mixed up.

Compare that to Michael Martin's interviews which always seem to be very combative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

How dare those dastardly planners erase Dublin's architectural heritage...and reduce demand for two-up-two-downs owned by d'salt o'd'Earth in d'inner city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Pat is getting tiresome. Can't he just march Nphet and HSE members who voted against antigen testing and interrogate them and stop banging on about the bloody antigen testing. I'm all for it but it's not a silver bullet he seems to think it is.

The only good thing is stopped going on about teenagers without masks standing outside or playing sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

meeeeh wrote: »
    Pat is getting tiresome. Can't he just march Nphet and HSE members who voted against antigen testing and interrogate them and stop banging on about the bloody antigen testing. I'm all for it but it's not a silver bullet he seems to think it is.

The only good thing is stopped going on about teenagers without masks standing outside or playing sports.
    I was just thinking that!

If I never hear him mention rapid-antigen testing again, it'll be too soon. And the smug "I know it all, you're all so THICK" tone he repeats it in, over and over and over and over again is like nails on a blackboard at this stage.

Every. Single. Day.

:(

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I was just thinking that!

If I never hear him mention rapid-antigen testing again, it'll be too soon. And the smug "I know it all, you're all so THICK" tone he repeats it in, over and over and over and over again is like nails on a blackboard at this stage.

Every. Single. Day.

:(

He badly needs to get out of that mansion in Dalkey and see a bit of the real world.

Pat is the best broadcaster in Ireland but his Trump and Covid obsessions and "greater than thou" attitude has seen him wear thin over the last few years.

And having his mate Luke O Neill on 2 or 3 times a week to blow his own trumpet is really grinding my gears. I'd say Luke cant believe his luck - he is a major winner in this pandemic. He'll be the Eddie Hobbs of the next few years - on every bloody show going. I predict he will be the first winner of Dancing With the Stars when it comes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah, you know what, I don't mind Luke O'Neill, really - he's a bit happy-clappy overall in his delivery - but he's literally the only positive voice on any radio or telly in this whole ****show, and for that I'll be eternally grateful!

Twice a week to listen to something positive, instead of 24/7 doom and gloom and dire warnings and apocalyptic figures that could be much more positively presented - I'll take that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I think he’ll stop asking when he gets a “decent” answer. It’s, more than a little, odd that this wasn’t implemented last year. Particularly in hospitals.
    And having his mate Luke O Neill on 2 or 3 times a week to blow his own trumpet is really grinding my gears. I'd say Luke cant believe his luck - he is a major winner in this pandemic. He'll be the Eddie Hobbs of the next few years - on every bloody show going. I predict he will be the first winner of Dancing With the Stars when it comes back.

Luke was on the show before Covid. And, anyway, he’s already made his nut selling that medicine company awhile back.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think he’ll stop asking when he gets a “decent” answer. It’s, more than a little, odd that this wasn’t implemented last year. Particularly in hospitals.

Luke was on the show before Covid. And, anyway, he’s already made his nut selling that medicine company awhile back.

Was rapid antigen testing not used in hospital settings at all? I thought it was and they were just looking to set it used more often and more widely.

He harps on about it alright particularly mentioning everyday who they have talked about it for months.

I do like Luke though, his positivity is refreshing given the constant doom and gloom. I just hope he is right

It might have been odd but because government went against some of Nphet advice in December and were then blamed for everything (unfairly in my opinion). They weren't going to go against Nphet on this and it was clear that Nphet were stalling like with masks. Tony Holohan is almost a saint in this country but he seems to be also very much risk averse and conservative in his approach. Our lockdowns and handling of pandemic reflect that.

Yeah I remember him on about the really bad flu that was going around in December 2019 and how they might eventually get a vaccine that gets all the strains of flu.

But before Covid we wouldn't have known he was in a band, he wouldn't end up putting a book out for Xmas etc.

My point is he is going to become one of those stupid celebrities that we embrace here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

But before Covid we wouldn't have known he was in a band, he wouldn't end up putting a book out for Xmas etc.

He had 2 other books out prior to covid. Pretty sure both were forwarded by Pat Kenny.

Yeah I remember him on about the really bad flu that was going around in December 2019 and how they might eventually get a vaccine that gets all the strains of flu.

My point is he is going to become one of those stupid celebrities that we embrace here.

I think that a bit unfair. He obviously likes a bit of attention but he is a millionaire and did extremely well I areas that have nothing to do with his radio appearances, books or band.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

It might have been odd but because government went against some of Nphet advice in December and were then blamed for everything (unfairly in my opinion). They weren't going to go against Nphet on this and it was clear that Nphet were stalling like with masks. Tony Holohan is almost a saint in this country but he seems to be also very much risk averse and conservative in his approach. Our lockdowns and handling of pandemic reflect that.

Sarah Carey had a piece in the Indo a few weeks ago where she said that NPHET's current preoccupation isn't about Covid 19, it's about Cervical Check, like bad generals they are fighting the last war!

I'm sure there are some valid criticisms of O'Neill, I personally can't think of anything worth mentioning, but he is one of the few academics that has translated new research into commercial success, and he's on the radio because he's an excellent communicator whom people seem to like.
    We need a respected scientist like O'Neill to communicate relevant news and offer an independent opinion. 'Stupid celebrity' is about the last term I would use to describe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I'm sure there are some valid criticisms of O'Neill, I personally can't think of anything worth mentioning, but he is one of the few academics that has translated new research into commercial success, and he's on the radio because he's an excellent communicator whom people seem to like.
    We need a respected scientist like O'Neill to communicate relevant news and offer an independent opinion. 'Stupid celebrity' is about the last term I would use to describe him.

What other respected scientist would be seen standing in a zorb ball or sitting behind a sewing machine making masks on the Claire Byrne show. the term '' Stupid celebrity'' fits him just fine.

He is one of the the biggest attention seekers around at the moment, and that's saying something.

• Advertisement

mgn wrote: »
    What other respected scientist would be seen standing in a zorb ball or sitting behind a sewing machine making masks on the Claire Byrne show. the term '' Stupid celebrity'' fits him just fine.

He is one of the the biggest attention seekers around at the moment, and that's saying something.
    I don't watch Prime Time or Claire Byrne, so I wouldn't know. All I know is what I see and hear around me, and a lot of people who never usually take much interest in current affairs seem to plave a lot of trust in O'Neill as an independent scientist. No harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Breaking news

Professor of Biochemistry is stupid.

Only on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

mattser wrote: »
    Breaking news

Professor of Biochemistry is stupid.

Only on Boards.ie

Read again, ''stupid celebrity'' nobody is questioning his achievements in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Another excellent show from ole Pat, makes the working from home morning hours fly, love it.

Really incredible that he’s been broadcasting from home for a year.

source.gif

Jonathan Healy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

source.gif

Jonathan Healy

That's me out so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭VonLuck

source.gif

Jonathan Healy

What's wrong with Jonathan Healy? Don't hear him on the radio that often, but he hasn't left any lasting negative impression.

VonLuck wrote: »
    What's wrong with Jonathan Healy? Don't hear him on the radio that often, but he hasn't left any lasting negative impression.

nothing really wrong with him, just find Pat way way better to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

source.gif

Jonathan Healy

Ah Jaysus...just switched on this minute. Podcast or Spotify for me this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

VonLuck wrote: »

I think he's a poor interviewer and seems to think he knows more about subjects than he does..
    Also a bit too fond of sensationalism.

Mainly through when listening on headphones his voice sounds a bit "moist".... that's my issue though... 😕

Advertisement