Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

mikep wrote: »
    I think he's a poor interviewer and seems to think he knows more about subjects than he does..
    Also a bit too fond of sensationalism.

Pretty much the nail on the head and add in his dismissive tone when speaking with someone who doesn't share his (social/political) views. I know the word "smug" is thrown around a bit here on the forum to describe some presenters, but Healy really deserves it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

2smiggy wrote: »
    nothing really wrong with him, just find Pat way way better to listen to.

I think there is a lot wrong with him.

But it is the butting in with what he thinks is a hilarious quip is what annoys me most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

BPKS wrote: »
    I think there is a lot wrong with him.

But it is the butting in with what he thinks is a hilarious quip is what annoys me most.

Yes that and the fact he can go on and on about something in very patronising tone. I like his prerecorded stuff but live he is insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yes that and the fact he can go on and on about something in very patronising tone. I like his prerecorded stuff but live he is insufferable.

Was just going to say I’m not a fan of his pre-recorded pieces but enjoy him a sub for Pat.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Did Pat say on Friday he'd be off, don't think he ever does, v annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Cole wrote: »
    Pretty much the nail on the head and add in his dismissive tone when speaking with someone who doesn't share his (social/political) views. I know the word "smug" is thrown around a bit here on the forum to describe some presenters, but Healy really deserves it imo.

Haven't listened to him much but really noticed this today. If he doesn't agree with someone he will always have to get the last word in while muting their mic and saying goodbye. He's really poor.

Presume the dole and pensions is paid in cash by post offices? Big queues of oul lads in the mornings around where I live.

My (elderly) mother watches Maura and Daithi on the TV and anytime Healy comes on for his regular slot, she just groans like she's saying "here's this fecking gobs1te again". She's not really familiar with him beyond his appearances on Maura and Daithi, but he just has that same 'know it all' vibe on the TV too that just rubs some of us up the wrong way.

My (elderly) mother watches Maura and Daithi on the TV and anytime Healy comes on for his regular slot, she just groans like she's saying "here's this fecking gobs1te again". She's not really familiar with him beyond his appearances on Maura and Daithi, but he just has that same 'know it all' vibe on the TV too that just rubs some of us up the wrong way.

Maybe Pat gets to pick his stand in? Who better than someone he knows isn’t widely appreciated?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Maybe Pat gets to pick his stand in? Who better than someone he knows isn’t widely appreciated?

Well Pat's onto a winner with Healy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jeez, some show today with Jonathan Healy - segment on cash and some wan tells him she has a Masters from Maynooth University and we are waiting for the relevance in this but there isn't any - she just feels the need to tell the world. At this stage who cares - everybody and their dog have a feckin Masters. I have Common Entrance, O Levels etc. but I don't feel the need to tell everybody. :rolleyes:

To antagonise me further there's some ****e competition to win €5k that Newstalk are running just text your answer to them - texts cost €2..50!!!!!!!! Unreal, are there really that many stupid people in the country.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Jeez, some show today with Jonathan Healy - segment on cash and some wan tells him she has a Masters from Maynooth University and we are waiting for the relevance in this but there isn't any - she just feels the need to tell the world. At this stage who cares - everybody and their dog have a feckin Masters. I have Common Entrance, O Levels etc. but I don't feel the need to tell everybody. :rolleyes:

I'm not listening (my Healy allergy), but there's some truth in that. I'm in that 'industry' and that's exactly what it's become...and dumbing down (assessments) definitely exists. Just wait till you see the stats for the grade averages for third level qualifications from the covid years...up, up ,up...keep everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Well Pat's onto a winner with Healy.

As long as it's not Tom Dunne, I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I woke up to hear Healy and Luke O'Neill shrieking at/over each other - it was the very end of the segment - what on earth was that all about??

Did LO'N have anything of note to say that would be worth podcasting?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    To antagonise me further there's some ****e competition to win €5k that Newstalk are running just text your answer to them - texts cost €2..50!!!!!!!! Unreal, are there really that many stupid people in the country.

I remember George Hook being very vocal his opposition to the text cost moving up from 30c. Ridiculous cost for a text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I remember George Hook being very vocal his opposition to the text cost moving up from 30c. Ridiculous cost for a text.

just for competitions , thou I think Moncreiff was calling out a similar competition recently and sounded a bit embarrassed giving a warning about the cost of entry. Not exactly great prices for the cost of entry , and the amount of entries they no doubt get.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I woke up to hear Healy and Luke O'Neill shrieking at/over each other - it was the very end of the segment - what on earth was that all about??

Did LO'N have anything of note to say that would be worth podcasting?

I listened to it, but cannot even remember what they were talking about, so probably a no !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Jonathan could be a spokesperson for NPHET the way he goes on. Incredibly infuriating head boy stuff when he was interviewing a representative of the restaurants association.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

This gave me a laugh:

This guy is good, talking a lot of common sense.

• Advertisement

This guy is good, talking a lot of common sense.

*Not Healy !!!

2smiggy wrote: »
    *Not Healy !!!

Anthony Staines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anthony Staines.

an even bigger crank than Samuel McConkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Forgot Pat was off and turned on Newstalk and Ger Gilroy is on with Jonathan Healy.

My ears.

One would think Liverpool were the only club who was involved into ESL. The OTB obsession with Liverpool is a bit myopic. They must also be the only ones who think Liverpool are coming out of this with least damage.

meeeeh wrote: »
    One would think Liverpool were the only club who was involved into ESL. The OTB obsession with Liverpool is a bit myopic. They must also be the only ones who think Liverpool are coming out of this with least damage.

The rumours going around are saying that this was, mostly, Manchester United led.

City and Chelsea only backed out because of fears they’d be “booted” from their Champions League semi finals.

Arsenal and Spurs won’t be getting any sympathy as they really shouldn’t have been included in the first place so it’s fair to say Liverpool will be the ones coming out of this with the “least damage”.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭zell12

FFer Marc McSharry TD says he has no confidence in Taoiseach

heave-ho!

The rumours going around are saying that this was, mostly, Manchester United led.

City and Chelsea only backed out because of fears they’d be “booted” from their Champions League semi finals.

Arsenal and Spurs won’t be getting any sympathy as they really shouldn’t have been included in the first place so it’s fair to say Liverpool will be the ones coming out of this with the “least damage”.

Time will tell.

City were the least committed, they were the last to sign to it. Chelsea apparently got cold feet first but they have issues with UEFA, it was the Americans who were the driving force in England. There were lawsuits filled on Monday morning to prevent Madrid and both PL clubs being booted out of CL so it's naïve to think that was what changed mind of Chelsea and MC. They were expecting that, it was the pressure among fans and hostile reaction that swung it for them. Abramovich and Arabs bought clubs for positive PR more than for profits.

I know everything seems to be forgiven in this country when Liverpool are involved but it's extremely naive to think they were not one of the more involved clubs in the plans. At the moment it's probably Chelsea and City with the least damage but that could change.

zell12 wrote: »

heave-ho!

I switched to RTE1 but if FF follow their most dim witted TD then they really are doomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

zell12 wrote: »

heave-ho!

Jonathan went to new levels of condescending questioning today when talking to Marc. It was actually embarrassing stuff.

Was funny when he asked him why he was on complaining about the government and he said your producer rang me asking me to come on :pac:

Was funny too when Jonathan asked a question and when when Marc went to answer it Jonathan kept talking, Marc asked him to let him answer the question and Jonathan went on to answer it for him anyway!

I wouldnt be a big fan of Marc but he's not afraid of giving his opinion, whether he's right or wrong is another thing. But people complain about politicians just towing the party line etc but when someone doesn't the media try shoot them down too or make a big deal of it. And Jonathan must not listen to the show when Pat's on if he thinks Marc criticising government and the Taoiseach was some kind of scoop.

Advertisement