Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

What's the guess this will be prosecuted like street littering ie no one ever will be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

I feel bad saying this, but I always switch off now when I hear Bobby Kerr coming on as a presenter on whatever show.

How do the powers that be in Newstalk not realise that his voice is aural torture.

Again, I'm sorry, but I just can't bear it.

Switching off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

This Leitrim 'initiative' is ridiculously complex...too much time on the councillors hands to dream up stuff like this. Just police the hot (sh1t) spots regularly and hit people with fines ffs. But, like said above, doesn't really happen in Ireland.

What's the reason for this? Bobby asks Pete the vet...it's a lack of fcuking enforcement of existing laws, Bobby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    What the f are we going to do when Pat retires. Alternatives are muck!

Everyone will be "promoted" up one. Shane Coleman goes into Pat's slot, then Ciara Kelly gets joined by Andrea Gilligan. Bobby Kerr takes the lunchtime slot :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

VonLuck wrote: »
    Everyone will be "promoted" up one. Shane Coleman goes into Pat's slot, then Ciara Kelly gets joined by Andrea Gilligan. Bobby Kerr takes the lunchtime slot :pac:
    :eek:

Eddie Wilson from Ryanair having a completely free run here...a mini lecture. Bobby relying on the texters to counter him. Get back quick, Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

VonLuck wrote: »

Christ, don't give them ideas. They'll have to go all out because Pat and Moncrieff are keeping the station together with the current schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,929 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Christ, don't give them ideas. They'll have to go all out because Pat and Moncrieff are keeping the station together with the current schedule.

I wonder is OTB still doing ok for them although I'd expect it's numbers have taken quite a hit over the last year with the way sport in general has been impacted.

I haven't heard Kieran Cuddihy much on the Hard shoulder but when I have heard him, I have found him pretty good.

Similarly, I think Gavin Reilly could be in line to get a full time gig the next time a key slot opens up. If he wants it that is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah I think Gavin is very good, I enjoy his Sunday show, I don't listen at all to Kieran C now he's very weak for that slot imo.

• Advertisement

I haven't heard Kieran Cuddihy much on the Hard shoulder but when I have heard him, I have found him pretty good.
    I always liked him when he stood-in on the Breakfast programme, but he seems to be drifting into a tabloid style of radio now.

I only hear about 30 minutes of his programme before I switch over to Radio 1, so this may not be a fair criticism, although the other day I heard him whipping-up frustration over a fairly innocuous satement by NPHET ('a few weeks isn't a big deal in the scale of a pandemic'), stating that only someone with a huge government pension would say this, text 51551 if you agree or disagree.

I'm not one of these people who are for the canonisation of Tony Holohan, I agree that NPHET is often detached and unrealistic, but he took the comment completely out of context.

It's a pity to hear him going down this route. I suppose he has to maximise listener engagement if he wants to keep the gig, and that can be easily measured, but it's not good radio. He had far more interesting and original opinions when he was a stand-in guy.

Thank God Pat's back...no more messing around with stand-ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Are you allowed say “spaffed up the wall” on national radio?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The Moyross accent really grates on the ears!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The Moyross accent really grates on the ears!!

Some of the stories there give more credence to that Forbes article the Stripe lads, and the Rubber Bandits were up in arms about.

‘People sleeping on the landing as it was the safest spot in case a bullet came in the window’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,929 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Some of the stories there give more credence to that Forbes article the Stripe lads, and the Rubber Bandits were up in arms about.

‘People sleeping on the landing as it was the safest spot in case a bullet came in the window’.

The lad who wrote that article was from Dublin apparently. Be interesting to know whether he thinks Limerick or his home town is a more dangerous place to live in.

Is it a bird, is it a plane...no it's Antigen Man! Valid points from Pat, but Jaysus it just gets tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I have a real dislike of tom parlon. another spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

2smiggy wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing..
    He's really getting worse... paints a rosey picture of the business he represents.

mikep wrote: »
    He's really getting worse... paints a rosey picture of the business he represents.

it started when driving up through Laois , maybe 2007, and seeing big billboards stating 'This is Parlon Country'

He then proceeded to lose his seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,844 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Full of it.

Tries to do all the corporate talk but not clever enough to carry it through.

mikep wrote: »

Heard him on the radio a lot in the past few months, advocating for the needs of construction workers to get back to work for their mental health. Funny, I'd never heard him taking an interest in mental health before. I look forward to him continuing to fight into the future for the wellbeing of construction workers and their rights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

it started when driving up through Laois , maybe 2007, and seeing big billboards stating 'This is Parlon Country'

He then proceeded to lose his seat

I remember that...😂😂
    Some ego there...

Probably up to his armpits in cash though..

Pat entertaining this chancer selling her house through a draw.

Running it through a UK site, 70000 tickets at £10 a ticket :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Pat entertaining this chancer selling her house through a draw.

Running it through a UK site, 70000 tickets at £10 a ticket :rolleyes:

I thought that this practice of private raffles was illegal in this country. Maybe this explains why a UK based website is being used. There is absolutely no independent oversight to ensure that everything is above board and that the whole thing isn’t a scam. How would anyone know how many tickets are sold.
    I also resent the way Beaumont is being used as a tear-jerker motive to buy tickets. I’m surprised at Pat entertaining and promoting this sort of dubious opportunism.
    I won’t be buying any tickets.

I like Bill Hughes and the movie slot, but if you haven't seen the movies or read the books, then it's a risky listen...stop giving away the endings, Bill!

I did like his use of "the local go boy"...haven't heard that in a while.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I thought that this practice of private raffles was illegal in this country. Maybe this explains why a UK based website is being used. There is absolutely no independent oversight to ensure that everything is above board and that the whole thing isn’t a scam. How would anyone know how many tickets are sold.
    I also resent the way Beaumont is being used as a tear-jerker motive to buy tickets. I’m surprised at Pat entertaining and promoting this sort of dubious opportunism.
    I won’t be buying any tickets.

if they sell all the tickets, it's about €823000 , minus €41150 to Beaumont , leaves €780000 for a house and old camping facilities in Donegal, on less than 2 acres !! Less fees for the site running it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Cole wrote: »
    I like Bill Hughes and the movie slot, but if you haven't seen the movies or read the books, then it's a risky listen...stop giving away the endings, Bill!

I did like his use of "the local go boy"...haven't heard that in a while.

Ah come on.

If you've not seen Dangerous Liaisons in the 30 years its been out and don't want to listen to Bill Hughes take on it in case it spoils it for you I would suggest switching off the segment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

if they sell all the tickets, it's about €823000 , minus €41150 to Beaumont , leaves €780000 for a house and old camping facilities in Donegal, on less than 2 acres !! Less fees for the site running it.

I was only half listening to this but did Pat touch on the inheritance tax implications? I assume they are doing it so they wont end up paying a load of inheritance tax on the house?

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    Ah come on.

If you've not seen Dangerous Liaisons in the 30 years its been out and don't want to listen to Bill Hughes take on it in case it spoils it for you I would suggest switching off the segment.

Ah here...

I like listening to Bill's (and others) take on a movie because it might encourage me to watch a movie I've previously ignored or maybe not heard of...switching it off would defeat the purpose. It's pretty easy to avoid 'giving it away' or offer a spoiler alert, like many reviewers do.

But I still like Bill.

Advertisement