Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

BPKS wrote: »
    I was only half listening to this but did Pat touch on the inheritance tax implications? I assume they are doing it so they wont end up paying a load of inheritance tax on the house?

I missed a bit of it to be honest. Just what annoyed me was using a charity to sell the tickets, for a house that is worth no where what they would receive for it.

for example a stately house with 126 acres here would probably cost less than double what they are looking for !!

Cole wrote: »
    Ah here...

I like listening to Bill's (and others) take on a movie because it might encourage me to watch a movie I've previously ignored or maybe not heard of...switching it off would defeat the purpose. It's pretty easy to avoid 'giving it away' or offer a spoiler alert, like many reviewers do.

But I still like Bill.

Same here,on the strength of last weeks one about The Godfather,I watched it again after many years of not seeing it. Same with The Bridge On The River Kwai!
    Its a great segment that I look forward to each week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Same here,on the strength of last weeks one about The Godfather,I watched it again after many years of not seeing it. Same with The Bridge On The River Kwai!
    I only catch the occasional one - but this morning's will def send me looking for DL again! I saw it at the time (80s, did he say??? :eek:) and tbh I think most of it went straight over my head back then, but Hughes' description this morning brought it all right back like I'd seen it last week.

I have Topkapi recorded on the back of another recent segment, will treat myself to that this weekend.

Himself and Paul Harrington are the best thing about the PK show these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Ah here...

I like listening to Bill's (and others) take on a movie because it might encourage me to watch a movie I've previously ignored or maybe not heard of...switching it off would defeat the purpose. It's pretty easy to avoid 'giving it away' or offer a spoiler alert, like many reviewers do.

But I still like Bill.

When Pat announces what film Bill will be reviewing on a given day, I sometimes go to the wikipedia page associared with said film. Then, when the slot comes on, I can "Read along with Bill" as he does his thing :). It's amazing how many paragraphs he lifts, word for word from the wikipedia entries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I have Topkapi recorded on the back of another recent segment, will treat myself to that this weekend.

I watched on Bill’s “recommendation”. Enjoyable film, if a bit dated in parts. Very 60’s.

Was glad he didn’t give away the ending.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I think most of the audience of the PK show will have seen these films before - personally there have been maybe 5 over the last year or so that its a film I've not seen. I actually think the point of it is talking about a classic film, giving a bit of background to it and unusual quirks and engaging the listener to go back and watch it again.

Expecting spoiler alerts on a film released last century is expecting a bit too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think most of the audience of the PK show will have seen these films before - personally there have been maybe 5 over the last year or so that its a film I've not seen. I actually think the point of it is talking about a classic film, giving a bit of background to it and unusual quirks and engaging the listener to go back and watch it again.

Expecting spoiler alerts on a film released last century is expecting a bit too much.

On a book that is couple of hundred years old and a classic. That's a bit like spoiling Anna Karenina.

I love that slot. It's always entertaining and interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

meeeeh wrote: »
    On a book that is couple of hundred years old and a classic. That's a bit like spoiling Anna Karenina.

How embarrassing for me suggesting a spoiler alert to a movie slot and not realising how uncultured in the arts I am. I'm off to brush up on my knowledge of 'classic' movies and literature...no subjectivity there at all of course.

How embarrassing for me suggesting a spoiler alert to a movie slot and not realising how uncultured in the arts I am. I'm off to brush up on my knowledge of 'classic' movies and literature...no subjectivity there at all of course.

It's not that. I haven't read either of the books but they are stories that are kind of widely known. We all know for example how Hamlet ends. There isn't much of a twist in the story anyway and actual ending wasn't revealed.

The point of the “slot”, for me, is to recommend a classic to those who haven’t seen it or reacquaint those who may have forgotten it.

He should give a brief “synopsis”, talk about production, cast and whatever else but there’s no real need to give away the whole story.

I’ve watched a couple of films based on his covering of them. I’d be less inclined to watch one where he told me what happens. It’s just not necessary.

It’s a great slot, and yes, I’m sure he takes a lot from Wikipedia or IMDB but that’s just part of the “research”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Bertie Ahern is a Arlene Foster apologist.

I long for the day of no political upheaval in the north - not for the sake of peace or anything but so that Bertie Ahern will stopped getting wheeled out for his opinion.

People are "openly squatting, not even going behind the bushes" in the Phoenix Park, according to Pat's patrol. More as we get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

People are "openly squatting, not even going behind the bushes" in the Phoenix Park, according to Pat's patrol. More as we get it.

Not much chance of them getting social housing near Pat anyway, he may be hand wringing in public but if they tried to organise social housing near him he would be objecting again.

Not much chance of them getting social housing near Pat anyway, he may be hand wringing in public but if they tried to organise social housing near him he would be objecting again.

I’d say as long as they weren’t blocking the view or an “eyesore” he wouldn’t have an issue. Don’t think he has issues with the, potential, new residents more so the buildings, themselves.

Not much chance of them getting social housing near Pat anyway.

Who? The Phoenix Park shitters? I'm afraid you've lost me, gerry.

Edit: Oh, they're not homeless, they're people who have been caught short when out and about.

Pat is sweating,its Seinfeld!

Pat is sweating,its Seinfeld!

You mean Seinfield surely:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Best TV comedy in history, love it Jerry, love it! People were either Friends or Seinfeld fans I was 100% Seinfeld, smart, iconic TV.

Must watch Seinfeld. Only ever caught a few glimpses of it when it was on TV3 in the afternoons the early 00's. Slightly put off by the canned laughter.

I wonder was it that Helen McEntee texting in, saying she's spending maternity leave watching Seinfeld. She'd be more into the Judge Rinder maybe. Or Law and Order.

Anyway, back to the show, I like that John Vardy guy. Knows his stuff.

Best TV comedy in history, love it Jerry, love it! People were either Friends or Seinfeld fans I was 100% Seinfeld, smart, iconic TV.

Same here,have the whole 9 seasons on dvd,could never stand Friends!

• Advertisement

Must watch Seinfeld. Only ever caught a few glimpses of it when it was on TV3 in the afternoons the early 00's. Slightly put off by the canned laughter.

I wonder was it that Helen McEntee texting in, saying she's spending maternity leave watching Seinfeld. She'd be more into the Judge Rinder maybe. Or Law and Order.

Anyway, back to the show, I like that John Vardy guy. Knows his stuff.

It was shot in front of a live audience, not canned laughter, the exterior scenes were played on monitors in the studio, so all real laughter.

Same here,have the whole 9 seasons on dvd,could never stand Friends!

When I met someone who said I don't understand Seinfeld, it's not funny I knew we had nothing in common, Seinfeld, Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure ruled my TV world in the 90s.

I think its all on Disney +,someone can correct me!

Amazon Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

RTE Player and All4 have it. I'd recommend All4.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

As someone who watched Friends before I watched Seinfeld I couldn't believe the amount of stuff Friends lifted from it.

Amazon Prime.

I have Prime and its not on it anymore!

Don't say too such about Seinfeld in case ye spoil it for someone who hasn't seen it!

Don't say too such about Seinfeld in case ye spoil it for someone who hasn't seen it!

Nothing happens in the end.

• Advertisement

When I met someone who said I don't understand Seinfeld, it's not funny I knew we had nothing in common, Seinfeld, Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure ruled my TV world in the 90s.

I liked Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure (early seasons) and I didn't like Seinfield at all. I liked Friends more but not enough to actually watch it. Married with Children was just sophisticated enough for me.;) I suspect it would melt the Twitter with it's stereotypes if they reran it.

Advertisement