Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

It was shot in front of a live audience, not canned laughter, the exterior scenes were played on monitors in the studio, so all real laughter.
    I don't think that canned laughter and a live audience are mutually exclusive.

I watched a programme where they showed one of those sitcoms being filmed. There were parts of the episode where the actual audience didn't laugh that much. In the actual broadcast episode the laughter was much louder, so it seemed that canned laughter was added as a booster for lines that didn't land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

BPKS wrote: »
    Don't say too such about Seinfeld in case ye spoil it for someone who hasn't seen it!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the councils decisions around the country to remove bins and toilets is beginning to backfire it seems, who would have guessed. The council around me can't even be bothered to empty the bottle/can recycling bins near me regularly.

Obliviously people need to make a better effort. But it has to work both ways

2smiggy wrote: »
    the councils decisions around the country to remove bins and toilets is beginning to backfire it seems, who would have guessed. The council around me can't even be bothered to empty the bottle/can recycling bins near me regularly.

Obliviously people need to make a better effort. But it has to work both ways

this definitely NEEDS to be addressed, long before now too! We are shameful here in terms of public facilities, you can get spotless facilities when you're abroad. I would have no problem paying 50cent anywhere to use a toilet if it was clean and convenient (nice clean portaloos). People should NOT have to go somewhere to buy a bun and a coffee in order to have a wee FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The beach near me was scattered with cans, bottles, pizza boxes, chips bags and the likes last Saturday and Sunday.

I'm not sure if we have a litter warden but the Gardaí really need to step up on this. If they went down amongst the groups, told them if the place wasn't cleaned up in a half hour when they got back they would "book" them, then maybe it wouldn't have been as littered.

The fact that these people (mostly late teens/early 20s who are telling us adults we are destroying the environment by the way) couldn't use the 7 or 8 bins or the 5 bottle/can banks within 100m of the beach is a different story.

• Advertisement

The beach near me was scattered with cans, bottles, pizza boxes, chips bags and the likes last Saturday and Sunday.

I'm not sure if we have a litter warden but the Gardaí really need to step up on this. If they went down amongst the groups, told them if the place wasn't cleaned up in a half hour when they got back they would "book" them, then maybe it wouldn't have been as littered.

The fact that these people (mostly late teens/early 20s who are telling us adults we are destroying the environment by the way) couldn't use the 7 or 8 bins or the 5 bottle/can banks within 100m of the beach is a different story.

Trouble is there are hundreds of litterers, where would they start... We could actually now do with teams of litter wardens, fat chance of them being employed in oncoming recession.

this definitely NEEDS to be addressed, long before now too! We are shameful here in terms of public facilities, you can get spotless facilities when you're abroad. I would have no problem paying 50cent anywhere to use a toilet if it was clean and convenient (nice clean portaloos). People should NOT have to go somewhere to buy a bun and a coffee in order to have a wee FFS!

I feel sorry for my old colleagues in the libraries, with their normal work to do, who will be expected to be toilet attendants now. When I was working there, they had got rid of the regular on-site cleaners ironically just as toilets were installed, with a cleaning schedule of THREE TIMES PER WEEK by visiting cleaners.

There was a good interview on the Pat Kenny show with an Offaly footballer who is a compulsive gambler the other day.

One of the things they both made a point about is the advertising these days - the proliferation of advertising and the way it is coming at people from everywhere.

Now I have to OTB app on my phone. The last few days I have got an alert telling me to listen to John Duggans Tips for Punchestown.

I'm also pretty sure that OTB has gambling ads on it the whole time.

Maybe Newstalk should take a look closer to home when it comes to this issue.

Nice idea but the guards can't (or refuse to) even do regular policing, never mind joined-up thinking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

There was a good interview on the Pat Kenny show with an Offaly footballer who is a compulsive gambler the other day.

One of the things they both made a point about is the advertising these days - the proliferation of advertising and the way it is coming at people from everywhere.

Now I have to OTB app on my phone. The last few days I have got an alert telling me to listen to John Duggans Tips for Punchestown.

This is a massive bugbear of mine.
    The proliferation of gambling advertising on TV and radio is very noticeable this past year.
    Really pushing their .com presence.
    It seems to be a huge income generator for our media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

That was Niall McNamee, he spoke very well and has also been interviewed in the press this week as part of a new support service, Extern problem Gambling. So much of Off the Ball's content is sponsored by bookies and it's a bigger issue than before especially underage. John's content on the website usually preaches responsible gambling but Boyles and Paddy Power don't miss a trick.

This is a type of question that's no longer asked on RTÉ these times for some reason. Are the foreign workers still motivated to remain, how will it affect the economy.

Hair colour for me is open a box of dye, mix in my own arty style highlight touches and I feel it's quite cool. What is it about people being so nervous about diy hair colour? It's the cutting I'm way more concerned about,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Very good point made about people here not bothered to tidy a table at fast food joints, leaving the mess for someone else. Says it all about the irish attitude really.

Call me Al wrote: »
    This is a massive bugbear of mine.
    The proliferation of gambling advertising on TV and radio is very noticeable this past year.
    Really pushing their .com presence.
    It seems to be a huge income generator for our media.

Should be banned from advertising like cigarettes.

Hair colour for me is open a box of dye, mix in my own arty style highlight touches and I feel it's quite cool. What is it about people being so nervous about diy hair colour? It's the cutting I'm way more concerned about,

Exactly, sure who'd be looking at us anyway? The birds in the trees? Maybe this is a minority position, but I avoid the barber at the best of times. The barbary ban was fine.

I struggle to understand the fixation on radio programmes with haircuts and hairdressers. It's ubiquitous, borderline trivial.

Mind you, I think Daniel McConnell was correct yesterday when be pointed out that the overly cautious approach lacked sense. I'd be far more concerned about all pubs reopening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This pandemic really destroyed the environment. Our local woods was relatively clean with the exception of roadside where the same scumbags continue to drop fast food cartons out of the car. Now there was tent left over, people were starting fires, bottles, cigarette packages thrown into hard to reach areas so it hard for us who care for the place to collect them. There is definitely lack of bins in Ireland but that kind of littering is not done by people who would use bins. That's done by people who are used to live in a pig stay and don't understand the rest of us don't want to.

I think there should be an environment levy on all the incomes including social welfare collected at source and that should pay for litter collection and management. Any littering should be heavily fined and again deducted at source. At this stage I don't care if line to Vincent dePaul is around the corner because people can't make ends meet due to littering fines.

Ireland is a beautiful country it's just not treated as such.

meeeeh wrote: »
    This pandemic really destroyed the environment. Our local woods was relatively clean with the exception of roadside where the same scumbags continue to drop fast food cartons out of the car. Now there was tent left over, people were starting fires, bottles, cigarette packages thrown into hard to reach areas so it hard for us who care for the place to collect them. There is definitely lack of bins in Ireland but that kind of littering is not done by people who would use bins. That's done by people who are used to live in a pig stay and don't understand the rest of us don't want to.

I think there should be an environment levy on all the incomes including social welfare collected at source and that should pay for litter collection and management. Any littering should be heavily fined and again deducted at source. At this stage I don't care if line to Vincent dePaul is around the corner because people can't make ends meet due to littering fines.

These people are the sorts that would normally jet off to resorts, have everything picked up for them by unfortunate min wage workers and staff and generally be the worst kind of package tourist and now we are stuck with them for a second summer.

Exactly, sure who'd be looking at us anyway? The birds in the trees? Maybe this is a minority position, but I avoid the barber at the best of times. The barbary ban was fine.

I struggle to understand the fixation on radio programmes with haircuts and hairdressers. It's ubiquitous, borderline trivial.

You might struggle to understand but I'm absolutely delighted that hairdressers are reopening. I get colour and highlights and I'm not doing that at home. I dyed my hair plenty of times before but not the style I have now. Kids also need haircuts, Daughter's hair started to split.

I don't understand why restarting of GAA for example is so important to people but I don't dismiss it as something superficious.

We all have different little joys and at the moment pedicure and haircut are two things I really look forward to.

Walked on a local road near my home a good bit over the last year.

A couple of months ago - in the middle of the so called hard lockdown - we found 3 bags from McDonalds thrown into the side of the ditch.

Nearest McDonalds is 30km from us:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Walked on a local road near my home a good bit over the last year.

A couple of months ago - in the middle of the so called hard lockdown - we found 3 bags from McDonalds thrown into the side of the ditch.

Nearest McDonalds is 30km from us:mad::mad:
    I bet they considered it essential travel.

I can actually tell you exactly what fast food someone in the neighbourhood had every second night. I don't know who it is but it is someone local and they throw stuff through the window on the same stretch of the road.

I bet they considered it essential travel.

I can actually tell you exactly what fast food someone in the neighbourhood had every second night. I don't know who it is but it is someone local and they throw stuff through the window on the same stretch of the road.

Worrying is the amount of beer and cider cans on roadsides, youd be wondering if it was passengers or drivers.
    Came across a Heineken beer carton with wrappings and rubbish squeezed inside before being fcuked out of a window. Bet they keep the inside of their car clean.

Any littering should be heavily fined and again deducted at source. At this stage I don't care if line to Vincent dePaul is around the corner because people can't make ends meet due to littering fines.

Yes. Awareness campaigns have their place, but alongside punitive measures (that are actually enforced). Some will never care or give a sh1te about others, so hit them hard...and make them care.

We have a massively bad attitude to the beauty of our environment. All my family members on both dudes have been trained since infancy to put our litter in our pockets. Parents in Ireland don't bother teaching basic civic pride. We compare badly to do many other countries, it's shocking. Even a shanty town in Namibia is way cleaner,

"The likes of Denis O'Brien, who has shown leadership in... developing leaders".

That's a strange way of describing "assistance" to politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

"The likes of Denis O'Brien, who has shown leadership in... developing leaders".

I was wondering why this was a “segment” at all until I heard the name drop.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

A free ad for the Schwarzman programme and not a single question from Pat about any ethical issues re. Chinese state ideologies/universities. It took a texter to prompt Pat and even then he admitted that he didn't want to get into it...very disappointing from Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Antigen testing rears it’s ugly head, yer again. The truckers are using it but not sure if that’s enough for Pat.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

"Junkies have ruined the boardwalk"

Next time I'm in the city centre, I must remember to tap some young man on the shoulder, and explain how inconvenient I find his catastrophic, fatal addiction. I just want to enjoy the river, why is he in the way?

• Advertisement

"Junkies have ruined the boardwalk"

Next time I'm in the city centre, I must remember to tap some young man on the shoulder, and explain how inconvenient I find his catastrophic, fatal addiction. I just want to enjoy the river, why is he in the way?

I'm not overly fretful and I don't like to pull woman card but this is the type of statement adult man can make. (I Don't mean that as an insult but certain things aren't part of your experience). No parent will allow their kids to enjoy the part of the town and ask your female friends how many would feel safe walking somewhere like that on their own.

Yes bigger issues have to be resolved in conjunction with that but is it really too much to ask for people to feel safe in nice public spaces.

Advertisement