Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

"Junkies have ruined the boardwalk"

Next time I'm in the city centre, I must remember to tap some young man on the shoulder, and explain how inconvenient I find his catastrophic, fatal addiction. I just want to enjoy the river, why is he in the way?

tumblr_lgf2pj1UsF1qh59n0o1_r1_500.gif

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

meeeeh wrote: »
    You might struggle to understand but I'm absolutely delighted that hairdressers are reopening. I get colour and highlights and I'm not doing that at home. I dyed my hair plenty of times before but not the style I have now. Kids also need haircuts, Daughter's hair started to split.

I don't understand why restarting of GAA for example is so important to people but I don't dismiss it as something superficious.

We all have different little joys and at the moment pedicure and haircut are two things I really look forward to.
    Yes, fair cop. Perhaps one thing we might all be more aware of is the diversity of personal needs. People who missed the barber or hairdresser will be delighted, and nobody wants to piss on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Very good point made about people here not bothered to tidy a table at fast food joints, leaving the mess for someone else. Says it all about the irish attitude really.

Something I've learned in Ireland: that's not my job work ethic.
    What I've seen and experienced, not that I'm a lazy arse myself

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"The likes of Denis O'Brien, who has shown leadership in... developing leaders".

That's a strange way of describing "assistance" to politicians.

"John Delaney could run anything".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Barna77 wrote: »
    Something I've learned in Ireland: that's not my job work ethic.
    What I've seen and experienced, not that I'm a lazy arse myself

Except it's not a job, its being a decent human being.
    Grown adults behaving like moody teens, sticking it to 'the man' by being messy counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

"Junkies have ruined the boardwalk"

Next time I'm in the city centre, I must remember to tap some young man on the shoulder, and explain how inconvenient I find his catastrophic, fatal addiction. I just want to enjoy the river, why is he in the way?

Interesting that some terms are still acceptable on the radio and other things aren't.

And I've seen the junkies by the way. They have taken over since lockdown.

Interesting that some terms are still acceptable on the radio and other things aren't.

And I've seen the junkies by the way. They have taken over since lockdown.

They haven't "taken over" anything. They are people living on the margins of the community, with a countdown hanging over their life expectancy, fervently ticking, like a bomb.

I understand and agree with the apprehension that people feel when they're around someone with a drug addiction. I bet women, especially, feel vulnerable, as meeeh has articulated.

Still, the most important human trait is mercy. That means you expect the best from everyone and treat them with a bit of dignity. Sometimes you'll be disappointed, that's life.

Not trying to be "woke" here, or take any moral high ground. None of us enjoy seeing, or interacting with, these people. But mercy is an older word than "woke", and it is necessary wherever people try to live together.

They haven't "taken over" anything. They are people living on the margins of the community, with a countdown hanging over their life expectancy, fervently ticking, like a bomb.

I understand and agree with the apprehension that people feel when they're around someone with a drug addiction. I bet women, especially, feel vulnerable, as meeeh has articulated.

Still, the most important human trait is mercy. That means you expect the best from everyone and treat them with a bit of dignity. Sometimes you'll be disappointed, that's life.

Not trying to be "woke" here, or take any moral high ground. None of us enjoy seeing, or interacting with, these people. But mercy is an older word than "woke", and it is necessary wherever people try to live together.

It's just that Dublin seems to have a very big issue in this respect compared to most places I've visited. Oddly Vancouver, an otherwise beautiful place, does too, and there they have thrown everything at it to try and understand why it's occur very there and what to do about it, including tons of compassion.

I get that compassion, and mercy, are the least that can be given but moving through Dublin City centre during lockdown hasn’t been very pretty.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I get that compassion, and mercy, are the least that can be given but moving through Dublin City centre during lockdown hasn’t been very pretty.
    i agree. I'm not sure if there are more homeless people about, or if we are just noticing them now.

Worth remembering, though, that if it's bad for us passing through from some banal suburb, it's worse for them, who live there. I hope nobody is eating as they read this (you shouldn't be reading the internet during dinner, anyway) but I was recently walking from Dawson Street onto Grafton Street and I stepped into actual human, greasy, turgid waste!

You can just imagine my surprise! Look, I've been caught short myself, but this was several inches too far.

As bad as it can be for us, homeless people have to put up with it themselves. They have to live, and sleep, around that carry-on. You wouldn't wish it upon your enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Maybe if the opened up more beds in detox centres for the drug addicts, and build accommodation to cater for the homeless instead of spending a million euro a day on cycle lanes, to keep a certain type of voter happy the city might be better for everyone.

Then again the addicts and homeless don't vote so let them die on the streets,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

mgn wrote: »
    Maybe if the opened up more beds in detox centres for the drug addicts, and build accommodation to cater for the homeless instead of spending a million euro a day on cycle lanes, to keep a certain type of voter happy the city might be better for everyone.

I'd go for more accommodation that isn't hotels or bought by hedgefunds AND cycle lanes if I had my choice.

Anyone decrying the installation of cycling infrastructure at this point still has their head in the last century.

I'd go for more accommodation that isn't hotels or bought by hedgefunds AND cycle lanes if I had my choice.

Anyone decrying the installation of cycling infrastructure at this point still has their head in the last century.

Anyone thinking that spending a million a day on cycling lanes is justifiable when you haven't got public toilets or even a rubbish bin in the parks, then the are the ones with their heads in the last century.

I’d be looking at the children’s hospital for the “money waste”, another bugbear of Pat’s, than the cycle lanes.

Anyone thinking that spending a million a day on cycling lanes is justifiable when you haven't got public toilets or even a rubbish bin in the parks, then the are the ones with their heads in the last century.

Hmm...

Look, it's one thing to say say "give the resources to the poor, instead of cyclists", which sounds reasonable, but as soon as we do that, Pat Kenny will be bombarded with texts about the feckless, undeserving poor.

I'm not accusing you personally, it's just how it *always* goes. Let's see a radio segment advancing an argument for a detox unit or injection/treatment centre in any locale, and watch the furore unfold.

"Too many "junkies"!" — get them off the streets
    "Get them of the streets!" — but into the suburbs
    "NOT HERE, please!" — and on it goes.

Hmm...

Look, it's one thing to say say "give the resources to the poor, instead of cyclists", which sounds reasonable, but as soon as we do that, Pat Kenny will be bombarded with texts about the feckless, undeserving poor.

I'm not accusing you personally, it's just how it *always* goes. Let's see a radio segment advancing an argument for a detox unit or injection/treatment centre in any locale, and watch the furore unfold.

"Too many "junkies"!" — get them off the streets
    "Get them of the streets!" — but into the suburbs
    "NOT HERE, please!" — and on it goes.

There is plenty of people objecting to cycles lanes, but the seem to get away with when it suits,

There is plenty of people objecting to cycles lanes, but the seem to get away with when it suits,

I recall when I cycled around as a student there weren't any lanes, how on earth did I manage?!
    Now there are lanes but the bloody things don't go where I want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

How many times does Luke O'Neill say "you know" and "you see" drives me mad ^_^

I get he is not media trained and probably just his way of talking, just wish he would stop saying those phrases....

Ah, feels good to get that off my chest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How many times does Luke O'Neill say "you know" and "you see" drives me mad ^_^

I get he is not media trained and probably just his way of talking, just wish he would stop saying those phrases....

Ah, feels good to get that off my chest...
    It'd be a close run bingo card between Luke's "you see?" and Pat's "antigen test"!

My money would be on Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

You Raise Me Up? , I may puke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

I would fear for PK's sanity -if he's suggesting a pop song as a national anthem for a putative 'united Ireland'.
    He got a few texts in from 'Newstalk listeners' and now thinks he has the foundation for a campaign.
    For the love of God Pat -drop this inanity now -please !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Poor journalism yet again. Failing to acknowledge that one third of Catholics in the North don't want a United Ireland. We have to move away from this thought that a Catholic wants a United Ireland. They are two separate things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Poor journalism yet again. Failing to acknowledge that one third of Catholics in the North don't want a United Ireland. We have to move away from this thought that a Catholic wants a United Ireland. They are two separate things.

I'd imagine the majority of us south of the border may not want a united ireland either !!

If anything I would gift them more of the border counties

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

boardise wrote: »
    I would fear for PK's sanity -if he's suggesting a pop song as a national anthem for a putative 'united Ireland'.
    He got a few texts in from 'Newstalk listeners' and now thinks he has the foundation for a campaign.
    For the love of God Pat -drop this inanity now -please !

What song he on about ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

What song he on about ?

'you raise me up'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

What song he on about ?

'You Raise Me Up'.

I thought he was just throwing it out as a piece of whimsy -but when he kept coming back to it my jaw hit the floor. Hopefully this madness will pass .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Anyone else agree that Newstalk really do put all their eggs into the Pat Kenny basket. Lunchtime Live is such a "Loose Women-esque" talk sh1te about nothing type show. If they've no budget stick on some music or something. Always assumed it was Ciara that had the show so drivel, but her protege has continued the downward spiral. Absolute Muck.

boardise wrote: »
    'You Raise Me Up'.

I thought he was just throwing it out as a piece of whimsy -but when he kept coming back to it my jaw hit the floor. Hopefully this madness will pass .

I'd rather the Vengabus song as a new anthem tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I'd rather the Vengabus song as a new anthem tbh.

I'd take Cotton Eye Joe remixed with the Vengabus over that Westlife drivel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

2smiggy wrote: »
    I'd imagine the majority of us south of the border may not want a united ireland either !!

If anything I would gift them more of the border counties

Especially Leitrim - I'd even settle for just the village of Dromod and only on the provisio

that they build a watch tower, massive PSNI base and a British Army heliport. :D

Advertisement