Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,971 ✭✭✭✭zell12

2smiggy wrote: »
    I'd imagine the majority of us south of the border may not want a united ireland either !! If anything I would gift them more of the border counties
    All of Ulster was to be NI, except DL,CN,MN had nationalist leaning majorities, hence why only 6/9 counties were portioned by Westminster by law in 1921

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

This cook book is desperately needed as there are only 15 million different cook books in existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Anyone else agree that Newstalk really do put all their eggs into the Pat Kenny basket. Lunchtime Live is such a "Loose Women-esque" talk sh1te about nothing type show. If they've no budget stick on some music or something. Always assumed it was Ciara that had the show so drivel, but her protege has continued the downward spiral. Absolute Muck.

I like Andrea, but I can't handle that show. I agree it feels (as did Ciara's version) like a "how are you coping not getting your hair done" section is always likely to come on after the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

A revealing and disturbing segment today.
    PK played a snatch of Micheal Martin speaking to Off The Ball on the topic of structured PE classes in primary school.
    In the course of this he said that the emphasis on games should be reduced... showing how the poison of PC has tainted the thinking even of an otherwise seemingly sensible 60 year old man.
    Fair play to Pat -he blew this nonsense out of the water. He pointed out that competition enhances the sense of fun and enables kids to unconsciously become active and not regard it as a chore or an imposed duty.
    The competitive instinct is strong in most kids -they challenge each other to see who can run fastest ,who can throw stones farthest -even who can pee highest up a wall!
    This PC notion that kids somehow shrivel up because they might actually lose at anything is utter tosh. There might be a small number who take it to heart too much but they can be counselled by parents , teachers etc.- without denying the benefits of mass competitive sport to the large majority.
    The sooner kids learn that things don't always work out in your favour the better -''you win some ,you lose some''.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

^^^ that and the valuable life lessons that can be learned from losing but getting up and trying again and again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

PK had a bit of edge/bite to him today when talking about congestion in goatstown... sounded like he was wearing a leather jacket and maybe cowboy boots also ?

Also if we are changing national anthem it should be Scatman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

boardise wrote: »
    A revealing and disturbing segment today.
    PK played a snatch of Micheal Martin speaking to Off The Ball on the topic of structured PE classes in primary school.
    In the course of this he said that the emphasis on games should be reduced... showing how the poison of PC has tainted the thinking even of an otherwise seemingly sensible 60 year old man.
    Fair play to Pat -he blew this nonsense out of the water. He pointed out that competition enhances the sense of fun and enables kids to unconsciously become active and not regard it as a chore or an imposed duty.
    The competitive instinct is strong in most kids -they challenge each other to see who can run fastest ,who can throw stones farthest -even who can pee highest up a wall!
    This PC notion that kids somehow shrivel up because they might actually lose at anything is utter tosh. There might be a small number who take it to heart too much but they can be counselled by parents , teachers etc.- without denying the benefits of mass competitive sport to the large majority.
    The sooner kids learn that things don't always work out in your favour the better -''you win some ,you lose some''.

I have an alternative idea to having formal PE classes in primary schools as ‘part of the curriculum’. Why not let the kids out after school and let them play football or climb trees or skip and jump or run around like March hares just like kids used to do.
    Kids will keep themselves fit if they get half a chance and they will enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I have an alternative idea to having formal PE classes in primary schools as ‘part of the curriculum’. Why not let the kids out after school and let them play football or climb trees or skip and jump or run around like March hares just like kids used to do.
    Kids will keep themselves fit if they get half a chance and they will enjoy the experience.

Not when there's screens to glue themselves to night and day!! (In a lot of cases)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

PK had a bit of edge/bite to him today when talking about congestion in goatstown... sounded like he was wearing a leather jacket and maybe cowboy boots also ?

Also if we are changing national anthem it should be Scatman.

He had two nimbys on who both agreed with each other as did Pat. Not much of a 'debate' really. Both contributors were at great pains to say they weren't against housing developments per se, just these ones in their locality.
    Nimbyism dressed up as concern. It's a well worn approach and pathetically transparent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Does anyone else find Eoghan Corry a lot better travel correspondence than Pol O Conghaile on these types of shows? : I listened to Pol's segment this morning as I've flights booked for June and I don't really feel like I learned anything from him. At least Eoghan will complain and have a good moan about the government and the current restrictions :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They haven't "taken over" anything. They are people living on the margins of the community, with a countdown hanging over their life expectancy, fervently ticking, like a bomb.

I understand and agree with the apprehension that people feel when they're around someone with a drug addiction. I bet women, especially, feel vulnerable, as meeeh has articulated.

Still, the most important human trait is mercy. That means you expect the best from everyone and treat them with a bit of dignity. Sometimes you'll be disappointed, that's life.

Not trying to be "woke" here, or take any moral high ground. None of us enjoy seeing, or interacting with, these people. But mercy is an older word than "woke", and it is necessary wherever people try to live together.

I agree with all that.

Saying they've taken over Still stands. Almost everyone that makes a trip to town now comments on them.

It does not look good.

Sounds like he's from D4!!

Love Jack Lemmon, my favourite actor, The Apartment, Some Like it Hot and The Odd Couple are essential viewing

Lemmon and Matthau were a great team,The Odd Couple is an all time classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

This cook book is desperately needed as there are only 15 million different cook books in existence.
    And none of them read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I wonder will Pat take tomorrow off to queue outside Lidl for 5 packs of 5 antigen tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

BPKS wrote: »
    I wonder will Pat take tomorrow off to queue outside Lidl for 5 packs of 5 antigen tests.

typically he had to start going on about this. Of course Luke O'Neill parroting sur if they get have the tests right , better than nothing ?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This time I agree with them. What Tony Holohan is saying is equivalent to thinking that not selling condoms will prevent people having sex.

meeeeh wrote: »
    This time I agree with them. What Tony Holohan is saying is equivalent to thinking that not selling condoms will prevent people having sex.

what use is a test that is 50% accurate ? I'm all for opening up and getting back to normal, but this antigen test is not far from useless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Antigen replaced Trump. Something had to. You see.

• Advertisement

A street brawl in Dalkey.

What is the world coming to.

EDIT: and a young fella feeling a young wan up near the Church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

what use is a test that is 50% accurate ? I'm all for opening up and getting back to normal, but this antigen test is not far from useless

I think the test is EU approved. The use is that you can quickly find people who could have Covid19 and isolate them. That's people who don't think they have covid. Nobody thinks social distancing can end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

BPKS wrote: »
    A street brawl in Dalkey.

What is the world coming to.

EDIT: and a young fella feeling a young wan up near the Church.

Skirt up above the cheeks of her bottom!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

what use is a test that is 50% accurate ?
    I think it's significantly higher than 50%.

The point is that having some information is better than having no information. 70% is greater than guesswork.

So many other countries are doing antigen testing – it's difficult to understand what is especially different about us.

The point is that having some information is better than having no information. 70% is greater than guesswork.

So many other countries are doing antigen testing – it's difficult to understand what is especially different about us.

Pat’s reasoning was always that it should have been used in hospitals, and other care “facilities” so that you could test someone and send them home if necessary. Instead of sending them home for 2 weeks.

It would save a lot of money and keep “essential” staff working. It makes a lot of sense but I think the fact no reason for not doing it was ever forthcoming.

I’m surprised no one tried to hide it behind GDPR.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

We are naughtier in this country? :pac:

Pat having a good laugh at the idea of Dublin City Council workers going to a 4 day work week, to improve productivity :D

I would strongly suggest everybody listens to the interview with the woman from Limerick whose 11 year old son was murdered by his uncle.

Was a tough listen but was also a nice reflection on his all too short life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Skirt up above the cheeks of her bottom!

Yeah great laugh.
    Wonder would the parents have as good a laugh over it?

• Advertisement

Yeah great laugh.
    Wonder would the parents have as good a laugh over it?

You’d have to ask them.

Advertisement