Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

meeeeh wrote: »
    Sorry I should know we are dealing with a troll. Tell me how showed you more courtesy than you deserved. You made a statement about my post without explaining why you think it doesn't work. Your ego might expect people will willingly comply with your demands to explain themselves without you contributing anything but unfortunately you posted nothing to deserve respect like that.

Ok - trolling is not my style at all as an examination of my posting record would show . But you're right -an explanation could reasonably be expected so I apologise for my negligence and will try to give a succinct -necessarily incomplete - response.
    I do this in the full knowledge that nothing I say will change your mind one jot -and that's fine .In fact when I saw the analogy first my spontaneous reaction was to laugh out loud . I took it as a piece of whimsical humour. As I considered it further, the fundamental ludicrousness of the statement was borne in on me.
    So here goes :-
    The disparity between the source domain of the analogy -human sexual behaviour-and the target domain -an episodic pandemic activity- is as wide as between ,say, a tractor and a banana. It is scarcely conceivable that the gap could be analogically bridged in any meaningful way.
    Briefly- the source domain could be characterised, inter alia, as natural, instinctive, necessary, omnipresent,ubiquitous and non-medical.
    The target domain differs radically in being artificial,learned ,not necessary,rare, sporadic and medical.
    In the broad real world sense -it is quite feasible and acceptable for a CMO to issue the statement he did about the tests. To think that he could ever contemplate making a statement about condom use along the lines suggested by the analogy is patently absurd.
    There is much more that could be said but ,as I'm sure you'll agree, a forum like this does not lend itself to extended detailed expositions of a detailed academic nature.

At least now we can say that both 'camps' have had their say - explanations have been exchanged generally ,if not entirely, eschewing insults and unworthy jibes. It always amazes me how quickly any disagreements on forums like this degenerate into gratuitous exchanges of personal disparagements.
    I conclude by saying that I accept your good faith and intelligence in this matter throughout . Analogy is an important and complicated field of study where many theoretical positions are held-so no surprise any two people might
    take diametrically opposing views of any particular analogical production.
    You may be disposed to reject any or all of what I have said but even if you choose to post anything else about the kernel of the issue I will not prolong the discussion any further This is my final word on this specific matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

Well done on your education and 50 years career in linguistics. Maybe some continued education in punctuation and the appropriate use of parentheses versus square brackets would compliment this nicely.

I must say I find the tenor of your remarks rather disappointing and demeaning.
    They tell me enough for me to ascertain the general calibre of the person I'm dealing with.
    If I may ,for the nonce ,descend to your cheap level of operation -I will simply say 'compliment' ? ----ouch !
    Kinda made my day that did. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

BPKS wrote: »
    I was laughing at his rant against Thick Americans.

This coming from people who returned the party to power a decade after they lead the country into financial ruin. Yes Pat - we are waaaaay smarter than those dumb Americans.

This is a message the US Consumer Product Safety Commission had to push out yesterday as a temporary fuel shortage was feared.

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1392482092823502849

They did this after videos emerged of people doing exactly that with several filled plastic bags in the boot of their car and other videos of people filling cleaning buckets and storage bins emerged also.

Put things like this and the ongoing insistence (which I think Pat was alluding to) that the election was stolen or that Covid is part of a new world order plan, then I wouldn't be necessarily calling Pat out on this one.

Edit to ad pic:
    Untitled-design-42.jpg?w=980&q=75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Cole wrote: »
    I've got limited knowledge on the whole antigen/PCR vs antigen tests thing, but that's not how I heard the interview it at all. When Pat challenged him on his defence of NPHET ("propaganda" claim) and said he was actually saying that antigen testing is useless, I thought Donnelly was heading for trainwreck interview, but he came back at Pat with the clearest explanation I've heard of the qualified endorsement that he (and NPHET I presume) have for antigen testing.

If you test positive on an antigen test, assume you're positive (and get your PCR test for confirmation and to allow for contact tracing).
    Test negative, assume you still might be positive...and keep following covid safety guidance

I agree with your position highlighted above but that's not NPHET's stance that Donnelly was defending. They don't want us to use them at all because they think we're all ill behaved and will be using them as a justification for having a load of house parties and no longer following any restrictions. That's not the same as your position above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Klonker wrote: »
    I agree with your position highlighted above but that's not NPHET's stance that Donnelly was defending. They don't want us to use them at all because they think we're all ill behaved and will be using them as a justification for having a load of house parties and no longer following any restrictions. That's not the same as your position above.

Fair enough. I've never been entirely clear on NPHET's position (or lack of one). I guess Donnelly's kind of stuck between endorsing a test that seems to be a very useful tool against covid, but also not entirely dismissing NPHET's views...a tricky one for him as the health minister.

• Advertisement

Listening to Pat Kenny this morning he is interviewing this Palestinian American "journalist".

Very Dissappointing, biased interview. The ISRAELIES are responsible for ^%*£(^&£$ing this up. It's ALL THE ISRAELI'S FAULT!!!!!

ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Listening to Pat Kenny this morning he is interviewing this Palestinian American "journalist".

Very Dissappointing, biased interview. The ISRAELIES are responsible for ^%*£(^&£$ing this up. It's ALL THE ISRAELI'S FAULT!!!!!

ffs.

in fairness to Pat, he will talk to anyone, and listen to anyone's point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

ffs.

By any objective analysis the Israeli's are solely responsible for the atrocities in Palestine.

Their treatment of the Palestinian people is disgusting and the world as a whole has to do a lot more to stop the blatant ethnic cleansing being carried out by the Israeli state...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

2smiggy wrote: »
    in fairness to Pat, he will talk to anyone, and listen to anyone's point of view.

Except if it involves raising any questions about antigen tests!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Two minutes after the Rotunda spokesperson said their phones were fine, the line goes dead.

• Advertisement

Did Pat say if he got the vaccine yet,I may have missed him saying so?

What on earth is this music?

It's like something Jeremy from Peep Show would create.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Did Pat say if he got the vaccine yet,I may have missed him saying so?

I'm not sure, but at his age I'd imagine he would nearly be after his second Pfizer jab at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You can fuKofta with that one, Gareth.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

ffs.

He had an Israeli lad on yesterday, was the basically the same interview but it started with the Palestinians throwing stones.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

He had an Israeli lad on yesterday, was the basically the same interview but it started with the Palestinians throwing stones.

He also had a English journalist on earlier in the week who said the Israeli's (IDF & civilian's)
    started the whole thing by using excessive force (guns & stun grenades) to remove Palestinians
    from one of their most sacred mosques during a religious holiday...

put the houses anywhere, except near Pat !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

By any objective analysis the Israeli's are solely responsible for the atrocities in Palestine.

Their treatment of the Palestinian people is disgusting and the world as a whole has to do a lot more to stop the blatant ethnic cleansing being carried out by the Israeli state...

Maybe, just maybe if Israel treated Palestinians like people instead of vermin .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The Israeli representatives you see speaking on this matter whether in Ireland, the US or UK are all identical in the style in which they use.
    I'd say the media training they get in Israel before heading out in to the world is planned and coordinated very purposefully.
    They all have the ability to without hesitation to blame the Palestinians and Hamas and more tellingly when the disproportionality of the response is pointed out to them to first double down and the longer the engagement goes on to then appear bored and disinterested in what is being said.

There's videos of RBB confronting the Israeli ambassador at an Oireachtas Committee and in some of the more heated exchanges, the ambassador looks like he is being told the specifics and differences of 100 different colours of gray paint.

Very interesting in a body language/communication/debate kind of way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Pat signed on for another two years thank god.

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Pat signed on for another two years thank god.

excellent news !!

best thing on Irish radio by a mile (except when Joe loses the plot :pac:)

59u6ba.jpg[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,614 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Pat Kenny has turned into an old hack stuck in the 1980s.

Tried to blame the HSE and the government for the ransom attack very clueless unless it involves blaming the HSE and the government.

In fact, an awful lot of Newstalk contend is based on vague blaming the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

mariaalice wrote: »
    In fact, an awful lot of Newstalk contend is based on vague blaming the government.
    You can hardly be surprised from an outfit who had an advertising campaign a few years back talking about "state-run spin" ...

Perhaps the reason there are more conspiracy theories today about the moon-landing is because media outlets keep ventilating this, and other, conspiracies, which they didn't do in 1969.

The contributor has himself said that the moon-landing conspiracy was given fresh stimulus when a FOX documentary on the subject was aired, a few years ago. A good idea might be not to not air an extended segment on the topic near the top of a mainstream current affairs programme.

The media keeps highlighting these bizarre theories and then asks itself "why are more people getting seduced by conspiracy theories?"

The media keeps highlighting these bizarre theories and then asks itself "why are more people getting seduced by conspiracy theories?"

q1u5lzuii2731.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Perhaps the reason there are more conspiracy theories today about the moon-landing is because media outlets keep ventilating this, and other, conspiracies, which they didn't do in 1969.

The contributor has himself said that the moon-landing conspiracy was given fresh stimulus when a FOX documentary on the subject was aired, a few years ago. A good idea might be not to not air an extended segment on the topic near the top of a mainstream current affairs programme.

No well adjusted, happy person believes this nonsense, CT's are either mentally ill or losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,224 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

No well adjusted, happy person believes this nonsense, CT's are either mentally ill or losers.

It depends on the conspiracy theory.

Like I said about the Martin Luther King one a few weeks back - would you consider people who believe he was killed by the FBI with the help of local Italian mafia mentally ill or losers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

Like I said about the Martin Luther King one a few weeks back - would you consider people who believe he was killed by the FBI with the help of local Italian mafia mentally ill or losers?

Ok, so the ones that you think are plausible are fine but every other conspiracy theory believer is a loser or mentally ill.

You don't have to look too far in this country to find plenty of conspiracy theories that turned out to be true.
    Remember when the IMF came in and there were government ministers denying it was happening hours before hand? RTE were silent on it as well even though it was being broadcast on UK media.
    Do you remember Maurice McCabe and the Garda corruption which the Government and state media did everything to discredit?

It seems to me that only losers or people without the capacity to think for themselves would believe anything on the main stream media and not question it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't overly care one way or the other but those type of conspiracies are a bit different because state involvement in one off criminal activities is harder to prove (or disprove). For example Russians are saying Navalny wasn't poisoned an if he was nothing to do with us. It's not exactly irrational to think Putin sent couple of agents with a bit of poison yet there is no proof at the moment.

Aliens, moon landings, vaccination conspiracies and other large scale nonsense is just nonsense.

Advertisement