Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

great to hear about the revival of the language, hearing groups conversing as gaeilge in marley park regularly and its so nice to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Pat has to get his Trump fix in !!

I hate that expression, "sleep hygiene".

We already have expressions for 'sleep quality' or 'sleep routine' – those perfectly clear words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Cole wrote: »
    Hearne...People before Profit candidate in the 2007 GE?
    Indeed he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

gourcuff wrote: »
    great to hear about the revival of the language, hearing groups conversing as gaeilge in marley park regularly and its so nice to hear.

What's the story there? I know we have more Gaelscoileanna than ever but that's about all I know at the moment.

• Advertisement

that Fr Iggy on again, do all the radio stations have him on speed dial, like John O'Donovan from Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭leath_dub

An egotistical mouthpiece who never met a microphone he didn't like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

leath_dub wrote: »
    An egotistical mouthpiece who never met a microphone he didn't like

I'm only vaguely aware of him, but he does have that whiff of him alright...loves the 'clever' metaphors...and the reactions to him are pretty predictable. It's either "he can feck off if he's so unhappy" or "he should be running the country"

Jaysus that Daniella Moyles (had to Google her) interview/book promotion was something else. Another former media personality turned mental health guru with a book to plug...hitting all the self help buzz words. The wellness industry is ever growing...yellow pack psychology for the masses.

I wish Pat would spread his grumpiness around a bit more. That was rife for a bit of his ever increasing dismissive tone, but I'm guessing Daniella is part of his social/media circle in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,224 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I thought nothing in the world would ever quench my appetite for 99s but Jonathan Healy managed to do just that with his piece this morning.

My waist-line thanks you oh smug one.

PS - Does he have to put a Pate news report in everyone of his pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I really dislike that chef slot, don't know what it is about him but I have to turn it off.

pc7 wrote: »
    I really dislike that chef slot, don't know what it is about him but I have to turn it off.

it has got worse and worse, like both of them do not want to do it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

“Vongole as they call clams in France and Spain”.Or do you mean Italy dear chef?

I don't mind it, but he sounds more like a barman in a North Side pub, not a top chef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I don't mind it, but he sounds more like a barman in a North Side pub, not a top chef.

A little bigoted perhaps?

cmac2009 wrote: »
    A little bigoted perhaps?

How is that bigotry?

How exactly is a "top chef" supposed to sound?

I have no interest in these foodie slots on radio, but I actually enjoy listening to him sometimes. He sounds like a down to earth fella who's not up his own arse about food and cooking...like some culinary types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That cooking slot is completely inoffensive. I find it a bit 'cooking for dummies' sometimes but it's grand. You can get some inspirations for weekly dinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Luke O'Neill's contributions have really gone down hill lately.

Clearly little or no preparation done and comes across as barely interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I quite like that chef fella on Fridays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I quite like that chef fella on Fridays.

Thankfully it's not an inmate of Ballymaloe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It’s not his accent I don’t like, I just don’t like the slot, I turn off when he’s on. He has never made me interested in trying anything he’s suggested when I have listened so I now just turn the dial.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I've done a few of his recipes and they've come out well. He has some handy tips.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Luke O'Neill's contributions have really gone down hill lately.

Clearly little or no preparation done and comes across as barely interested.

I think it's more a case that there isn't really much to talk about? Country is reopening and there's only so many times he can go on about the vaccine effectiveness before it gets repetitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,224 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Faugheen wrote: »
    I think it's more a case that there isn't really much to talk about? Country is reopening and there's only so many times he can go on about the vaccine effectiveness before it gets repetitive.

Luke is biding his time, hoping there will be enough about Covid to keep him relevant until he is announced as a participant in that RTE Dancing Show in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

It’s not his accent I don’t like, I just don’t like the slot, I turn off when he’s on. He has never made me interested in trying anything he’s suggested when I have listened so I now just turn the dial.

I dont know why he bothers , he made millions from the sale of a company he founded in Trinity recently , seems to be a mates slot at this stage.

I dont know why he bothers , he made millions from the sale of a company he founded in Trinity recently , seems to be a mates slot at this stage.

Perhaps he loves his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s great to have someone who knows their stuff able to explain it to “lay people” without blinding us with the minutiae of the science.

His optimism is infectious, too. People really admire the guy. It’s great to hear someone who seems to really love what they do take the time to educate, and inform, those outside of that “field”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Before COVID, he was a regular in the "explain sciencey stuff to the public" slot. I'd say he's hoping to be able to get back to that. He seems to enjoy it, and is very good at it. Few enough real scientists interested as he is in public education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Yeah I really like Luke's segments. I would say they were more interesting and informative pre Christmas with vaccine development/trials than now.

I loved the fact this week he wasn't at all concerned about the Indian variant, even saying he would like to see us give our vaccines away once we vaccinate all over 30s as under 30s don't get get serious disease. Night and day from what you hear coming from a lot of other experts. I get the feeling he disagrees a lot with NPHET's approach to covid but is too polite to say too much and doesn't want to be disagreeing with the public health adviceo.

Advertisement