Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

Ok- what segment did you hear ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I thought he was very hard on Emer Higgins and very populist in his line of questioning. You don't need to do much to discredit David Hall so there is no point going hard on him.

Anyway there will be plenty of usual poor me stories about property tax. Once you read whinger texts the quality of show goes down.

boardise wrote: »
    Pat Kenny 's tone a disgrace today .
    Presenting a tax as 'hammering the people' plus ,referring to Dubliners putatively being discriminated against , 'if you can't afford it get outa town' showed serious bias of a simplistic tabloid nature unworthy of the topic . All out aggression against Emer Higgins , free rein to David Hall.

Is poor pat getting stung for a few bob is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

lots of people with very expensive houses claiming poverty when it comes to paying property tax. there is zero amenities provided by the council (bar a very badly pot holed road) where I live, and property tax still has to be paid. Also money had to be paid to the council when building a house despite no water or sewage services provided.

I would not mind if they bundled rubbish collection and broadband into the price maybe, at a reasonable price. The council seem to be getting further away with doing anything them selves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Is poor pat getting stung for a few bob is he?

he must be !! He was a bit ignorant to the FG politician that was on. I thought I was listening to Joe Duffy :pac:

• Advertisement

boardise wrote: »
    Ok- what segment did you hear ?

He asked a minister why we need a new tax. He said the USC was a temporary tax because of the global crash in 2008, and yet we still have it, why? Which I think was a great question.

He gets rude when he doesnt get a clear or straight answer.

2smiggy wrote: »
    lots of people with very expensive houses claiming poverty when it comes to paying property tax. there is zero amenities provided by the council (bar a very badly pot holed road) where I live, and property tax still has to be paid. Also money had to be paid to the council when building a house despite no water or sewage services provided.

I would not mind if they bundled rubbish collection and broadband into the price maybe, at a reasonable price. The council seem to be getting further away with doing anything them selves

That has been Pats narrative for a few days now. Saying he was harsh on a TD, he is asking "where is this money going?" and she couldn't give a straight answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭elperello

2smiggy wrote: »

I know people living in the country who have pay a cash contribution to get their public road repaired and they also have to pay LPT.

He asked a minister why we need a new tax. He said the USC was a temporary tax because of the global crash in 2008, and yet we still have it, why? Which I think was a great question.

He gets rude when he doesnt get a clear or straight answer.

Because USC makes sense. It's a stable wide base tax that we should aim for. Considering fall in corporate taxes is on the horizon in would be mind numbingly stupid to end it. (you can't say that on air though). That kind of populist actions lead to last financial crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gay Byrne and then Pat always hated property or wealth taxes. They have allies in the People Before Profit Party.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    I know people living in the country who have pay a cash contribution to get their public road repaired and they also have to pay LPT.
    And we were probably put into a value band that is about two bellow where we should be because we live in the country and there was little info on local property sales when it was brought in. We were actually giggling when we saw last evaluation.

meeeeh wrote: »
    And we were probably put into a value band that is about two bellow where we should be because we live in the country and there was little info on local property sales when it was brought in. We were actually giggling when we saw last evaluation.

Maybe you are lucky in where you live.

There are also those who live in areas where Dublin residents like to buy second homes buoyed up by higher equity in their main homes and better incomes.

Locals have to compete with them to buy and then pay higher LPT based on the artificially inflated valuation.

elperello wrote: »
    Maybe you are lucky in where you live.

There are also those who live in areas where Dublin residents like to buy second homes buoyed up by higher equity in their main homes and better incomes.

Locals have to compete with them to buy and then pay higher LPT based on the artificially inflated valuation.

There will be always hard luck stories from people but most of us who live in the country live in more comfortable houses than those paying equal amount of tax in the cities. LPT is another constant and stable tax and doesn't live in the magic 'tax the rich' cloud. While home doesn't make you rich it is an asset and tax should be paid.

There will be always hard luck stories from people but most of us who live in the country live in more comfortable houses than those paying equal amount of tax in the cities. LPT is another constant and stable tax and doesn't live in the magic 'tax the rich' cloud. While home doesn't make you rich it is an asset and tax should be paid.

It is true that in terms of space you get more bang for your buck in the country but the downside is the lack of amenities.

I guess you pay your money and take your choice.

LPT is definitely not going away anytime soon.

Because USC makes sense. It's a stable wide base tax that we should aim for. Considering fall in corporate taxes is on the horizon in would be mind numbingly stupid to end it. (you can't say that on air though). That kind of populist actions lead to last financial crisis.

The phrase "oh its only a temporary tax" referring to income tax, was used by England to fund the war against France in 1799 and we still have income tax to this day.

I was already paying a stable wide base of tax before USC came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

I enjoyed the interview with Major General Maureen O'Brien. She doesn't deny the additional challenges that women face in the Defence Forces (especially in her day), but she also doesn't rely on just trotting out meaningless cliches that sometimes characterises these kind of discussions.

Unfortunately her achievements will be most likely go under the radar of many young girls, while the likes of Cardi B will be all over the (social) media and held up as some kind of symbol of female empowerment.

I was already paying a stable wide base of tax before USC came in.

Not enough of it or it wouldn't cause such a hole in public finances when property crisis started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,224 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

serfboard wrote: »
    Any country that elects that Healy-Raes can't be complaining about moronic voters in any other country.

Or Paul Murphy

Or Ming Flanagan

Or Bertie Ahern

Or Charlie Haughey

Or BIFFO

Or Mick Wallace

Or Claire Daly

The list is endless - and not confined to gombeem Kerrymen politicians

On the discussion on LPT this morning, we heard from a texter giving out about the new rates.

They recalled how in the mid 90s they bought a house in "their village" in Dublin in the mid 90s for £85k. Its now worth €600k and because the texter lost his business and the wife had lost her job their income was 1/3 of what it was used to and they couldn't afford the payment along with their mortgage payments.

Pat read it out (Joe Duffy style) with much bluster, using it as an example of the argument Pat himself was trying to make. Pat failed to ask why the £85k mortgage taken out by the texter over 25 years ago was still being paid and was so high it was being used as an excuse not to pay the LPT.

I expected better from him.

i thought Pat Kenny put up a very weak opposition, unusually incoherent: nobody in government is trying to "hammer" us, they are trying to fund the Exchequer during a crisis.

David Hall didn't say much, just allowed the govt representative to crucify herself. Very wise.

I happen to agree with the government's approach, but Emer Higgins's defence was pretty sloppy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

i thought Pat Kenny put up a very weak opposition, unusually incoherent: nobody in government is trying to "hammer" us, they are trying to fund the Exchequer during a crisis.

David Hall didn't say much, just allowed the govt representative to crucify herself. Very wise.

I happen to agree with the government's approach, but Emer Higgins's defence was pretty sloppy.

Yeah I agree. Anyone complaining about the LPT is just looking for something to be complaining about. Now covid is dieing down the media and opposition are trying to dramatise every other little thing.

Klonker wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. Anyone complaining about the LPT is just looking for something to be complaining about. Now covid is dieing down the media and opposition are trying to dramatise every other little thing.

I'm not sure about that.

A change to LPT tax was always going to cause a bit of a fuss.

The Government knew that and were fairly well prepared.

The surprise would be if the media and opposition didn't react to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

When I tuned in to Kenny today -the first phrase I hear from him is to the effect that some cohort of students is 'screwed'.
    This is the point I was making about tone -I'm puzzled and disappointed that a man of such intelligence and breadth of vocabulary resorts to such shock jock usage . It really grates and is surely totally unnecessary for the purposes of eliciting enlightening responses from interviewees.
    A measured and neutral tone means that attention is not distracted by any stylistic eccentricity but remains focused on the substance of the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"Bitcoin bimbo" who is this idiot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I thought it was a p***take, sadly not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

What a loike totally annoying piece and 'journalist'

Here is some Crypto rap - eeeeeeeeerrrr Sorry Pat

I thought Newstalk had changed to Spin for a minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

BPKS wrote: »
    Here is some Crypto rap - eeeeeeeeerrrr Sorry Pat

I thought Newstalk had changed to Spin for a minute

Who would have thought that they could find someone more irratating than Jonathan?

Sara Madden is your answer

• Advertisement

Who would have thought that they could find someone more irratating than Jonathan?

No - give me Sara any day of the week over King Smug

Advertisement