Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Wasn't his point that it doesn't go far enough, why should all college graduates get a vote but non graduates don't ?

That's an issue for the 60 other seats. The people voted to give the vote to all graduates and Varadkar has no right to say he knows better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

touts wrote: »
    he people voted to give the vote to all graduates and Varadkar has no right to say he knows better.

Wasn't that from the 1970s sometime ? I think Leo is a long way down on the list to be complaining about that not being implemented.

Wasn't that from the 1970s sometime ? I think Leo is a long way down on the list to be complaining about that not being implemented.

Just because lots of ministers from all parties bowed to pressure from the University senators not to implement the will of the people does not give Leo the right to say he won't do it. The will of the people should have been implemented long before now and Leo has no right to say he won't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I know what you're saying, but he's implying if there's going to be seanad reform, it'll be done correctly, not a half measure for now and then sit on it for another while longer.

I know what you're saying, but he's implying if there's going to be seanad reform, it'll be done correctly, not a half measure for now and then sit on it for another while longer.

It's not a perfect solution but again it comes back to the fact that it should not be for him to say it is a half measure and we'll wait for a better solution. The people voted for this. It is shocking that no government since then has stood up to the University senators and forced this through. This "reform" can be implemented in the morning without any constitutional problems. Certainly more should be done but the constitution had 6 seats for third level graduates and unless the government holds another refererendum to get rid of those seats the easiest way to reform these 6 seats is to open it up for all graduates vote in the election. In a stroke that would massively extend the franchise.

• Advertisement

Plus the six university senators were among the most vocal supporters of a no vote last week. Implementing the 7th ammendment and letting graduates of all colleges vote would be a case of be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

With that Harry Potter interview it was nice to switch to SOR and hear Eamon Dunphy.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ditto ^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Caroline Morahan is a successful Hollywood actress?? That's news to me :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭serfboard

Caroline Morahan is a successful Hollywood actress?? That's news to me :confused:
    Pat obviously reading the bumpf sent in by her agent.

OTOH, according to the IMDB, she is in a film that's in post-production with Sharon Stone and Andy Garcia, and she was also in a film with Michael Madsen (of Resevoir Dogs fame).

• Advertisement

This discussion on the prospects of a new political party emerging would have been interesting were it not polluted with the presence on Mary O'Rourke.

Why do radio producers feel the need to seek her opinion on all matters, political or otherwise?

I cannot think of any other country that would entertain the thoughts and opinions of someone who had a hand in the destruction of the country.

Especially someone from a political dynasty that had a grip on the party in power for many years.

The woman should be serving time for treason along with the rest of her former cabinet colleagues.

serfboard wrote: »
    Pat obviously reading the bumpf sent in by her agent.

OTOH, according to the IMDB, she is in a film that's in post-production with Sharon Stone and Andy Garcia, and she was also in a film with Michael Madsen (of Resevoir Dogs fame).

I actually feel a bit sorry for her. Whoever advised her to give up a fairly good TV career over here and head over to hollywood should be named and shamed so that no one else uses them as an agent or advisor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭serfboard

Lapin wrote: »
    The woman should be serving time for treason along with the rest of her former cabinet colleagues.
    Except that she won't be. And some of her former cabinet colleagues (O'Dea, O'Cuiv and Martin) will be back in cabinet after the next election, unfortunately.

This discussion on the prospects of a new political party emerging would have been interesting were it not polluted with the presence on Mary O'Rourke.

Why do radio producers feel the need to seek her opinion on all matters, political or otherwise?

I cannot think of any other country that would entertain the thoughts and opinions of someone who had a hand in the destruction of the country.

Especially someone from a political dynasty that had a grip on the party in power for many years.

The Toole is even more annoying. He keeps linking the center right with "conservative catholics". He won't be happy until the red flag is flying over Leinster House.

Now The Toole says a left wing party is relatively easy to win support with things like social justice etc but center right party would have to look to leave the Euro in order to get people's attention. How is that man even still entertained in the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Greenman wrote: »
    With that Harry Potter interview it was nice to switch to SOR and hear Eamon Dunphy.:)

thanks for reminding me.

llivelines shyte right now so im streaming this as i missed the begining of it.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

To be fair, pretty much everyone over the age of 30 had a hand in destroying the country...

Those unsustainable mortgages didn't apply for themselves...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    To be fair, pretty much everyone over the age of 30 had a hand in destroying the country...

What?

I'm over thirty. I'm paying my mortgage. I didn't need or want a new reg car outside my door to impress the neighbours. I have no loans.

But most importantly I didn't vote for a party that is built around cronyism and corruption in fianna fail and there gangster Galway tent buddies.

Were not all responsible!

One of the most outlandishly ridiculous things I've ever read.

Hard to figure out if its a troll or not.

But a complete and utter load of bollox either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

We all partied, right? Bertie, is that you? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We know she gives good radio ;) And as she was in FF and power so long she is good value if you are a current affairs radio producer looking for someone with ready (half) baked opinions.

What?

I'm over thirty. I'm paying my mortgage. I didn't need or want a new reg car outside my door to impress the neighbours. I have no loans.

But most importantly I didn't vote for a party that is built around cronyism and corruption in fianna fail and there gangster Galway tent buddies.

Were not all responsible!

Do you have a patio covered in hardwood decking? If so you are one of them - a reckless Celtic Tiger cub! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Individuals defaulting on their mortgages did not cause the banking crises, the banks haven't even begun to address this problem yet. Huge "non-performing" commercial property loans given to a relatively small number of developers is what sunk the banks. Aided and abetted by tax breaks, inadequate supervision of the Irish banking system and excessive borrowing by the Irish Banks on the corporate and international money markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Trololol :P

Seriously, chill guys, it was tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

In Ireland, people dont vote for something, they vote against something else.
    In the last election, people voted against fianna fail. Now that labour are in the feeling seems to be "I didnt know thats what you stood for" Same thing happened with the greens and happens in all referendums in Ireland.
    A new party will do really well on the first run and then when they start to implement policy people will start the "what are doing, I didn't know know thats what they stood for".
    By the way just got my voting card. Is there another referendum comming up or are the postmen back from holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Just listening to today's show now - that interview with Prof Patrick Wall made for rivetting listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Pat stuggling with Caroline Morahan's name there.

He called her surname Moran, and then Mornahan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"And for her acclaimed performances in I, Keano and Anglo: The Musical"

Read that and weep, Meryl Streep..

(apologies for the unintended rhyme)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

She said "you have all the experience here, you direct it", so I called in Brendan Courtney to check all the women bra sizes and sent Shia Lebouf off to see if he could get Twink's autograph...

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    Pat stuggling with Caroline Morahan's name there.

He called her surname Moran, and then Mornahan

I'm struggling to picture her to be honest.

Advertisement