Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ben Dunne wants the banks to write down mortgages to whatever the property is worth today. And he wants the banks to give out more risky loans to businesses. And cut their fees to businesses and individuals.

He would almost make you feel sorry for the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Mary Hanafin on now, really infuriates me that Fianna Fail are starting to get back into the mainstream media and generally be accepted again. It's like Mary has hidden in a cave during a thunder storm and has now crawled back out after the storm. But I suppose she was asked on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Skid X wrote: »
    Ben Dunne wants the banks to write down mortgages to whatever the property is worth today. And he wants the banks to give out more risky loans to businesses. And cut their fees to businesses and individuals.

I posted on the wrong thread, but yes, he's a bit out there when it comes to economics.

He must have got banned from RTE after Joe gave him a whole show to 'educate' people about bankruptcy, what a fiasco that turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

He's not trying to make you feel sorry for the banks .

He's pointing out what IS going to happen !

Our banks are bust and within 2 yrs the gov WILL shovel more of your money at em .

Watch n see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Mary Hanafin on now, really infuriates me that Fianna Fail are starting to get back into the mainstream media and generally be accepted again. It's like Mary has hidden in a cave during a thunder storm and has now crawled back out after the storm. But I suppose she was asked on

Pat kenny seems to be shaking up that nest of rats and giving them there chance to break back on to the public scene.

Someone remind him he's no longer on RTE, he no longer has to lie down and have he's belly rubbed by them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Lapin wrote: »
    Does Newstalk operate at a lower volume to RTÉ and other stations?

I'm on a bus at the moment and was listening to Seán O'Rourke through headphones earlier but switched over to Pat Kenny during the music bit.

Its almost impossible to hear anything Kenny is saying and even more difficult to hear his guests, (especially those on the phone) despite me having the volume up full blast.

I tried a few other stations including 2FM, Today FM and Galway Bay and have no problem hearing them.

Only Newstalk seems to sound like the volume is down to 2.
    It's funny, I listen on the internet, and I find Newstalk is much louder than RTE...

Our banks are bust and within 2 yrs the gov WILL shovel more of your money at em .

They will go bust much quicker if they are forced to write down all Mortgages to their current value. It was a ridiculous statement by Ben Dunne and someone on the panel should have picked him up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

I hope Pat uses the word Mangina. That would be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Joe O'Conner working for the yankee dollar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Pat kenny seems to be shaking up that nest of rats and giving them there chance to break back on to the public scene.

Someone remind him he's no longer on RTE, he no longer has to lie down and have he's belly rubbed by them!

Kenny has been having his belly rubbed for years. And rubbing bellies in return. It's a part of the business. He gets big listenership numbers because he has the guests the audience wants to hear. If he berates them or pushes them too hard, they stop going on his show and go somewhere else, followed by listeners.

It's a game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

DubTony wrote: »
    Kenny has been having his belly rubbed for years. And rubbing bellies in return. It's a part of the business. He gets big listenership numbers because he has the guests the audience wants to hear. If he berates them or pushes them too hard, they stop going on his show and go somewhere else, followed by listeners.

It's a game.

He would have had more respect from hes listeners if he had nailed that rat bertie ahern.

But then the following week I see himself and joe duffy with bertie ahern at the launch of Gay Byrnes new book. Its no surprise he didn't question him on he's show.

No surprise really that fianna fail were given such an easy time of it down through the years. All RTEs so called top presenters that were meant to ask the questions were close friends of them.

It will be odd for Pat Kenny not to have the Minister(s) on his show on the morning after the Budget. They are sticking with Radio 1 and Sean O'Rourke (not surprisingly).
    In a comment to the Irish Examiner Pat Kenny said the fact he only moved to Newstalk six weeks ago mitigated against a change.

He added that he thought one of the Ministers could have been made available to each show.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/media/o-rourke-trumps-kenny-with-post-budget-phone-in-1.1557521

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well theres no surprise there.

it IS government FM after all

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

It will be odd for Pat Kenny not to have the Minister(s) on his show on the morning after the Budget. They are sticking with Radio 1 and Sean O'Rourke (not surprisingly).

I'm surprised they're not all on his show. What I heard of the Reilly interview was real soft, and he's prompting Joan Burton at the moment.

Easy does it there Pat. Don't go rocking any boats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/media/o-rourke-trumps-kenny-with-post-budget-phone-in-1.1557521

Not sure I ever saw the benefit of it in fairness.Mostly a whinge fest.Good PR for the Minister maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Thought Joan burton came across really badly. Mind you they are her policies. Shame on labour, wpe out in the next election I'd say.

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    Thought Joan burton came across really badly. Mind you they are her policies. Shame on labour, wpe out in the next election I'd say.

Her half-arsed approach to Welfare fraud is unbelievable. Gardai doing checkpoints...

Yesterday the indo had a story of someone claiming 23k by using someone elses PPSN card. Todays paper, an aul one claiming Welfare for a Son in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yesterday the indo had a story of someone claiming 23k by using someone elses PPSN card. Todays paper, an aul one claiming Welfare for a Son in America.
    While I don't condone any of this, it's a pity that the Indo wouldn't have the same sense of outrage about someone getting a debt of 140 million written off - a "capital hole" in the banks balance sheet that will now have to be filled by you-know-who.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Even the weekly review is now being used as a channel for Mario to pimp his trade.

I'm feckin sick of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bloody hell, a lot of filler today. This segment is awful, basically a showcase for Mario to be Mario again (a joke well beyond its sell by date at this stage), Lucinda saying not much and I can't even remember the name of the 3rd person.

Earlier we had a "documentary" about Al Capone. Is Pat so shy of quality guests and content that he has to resort to these things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Bloody hell, a lot of filler today

Ok I could live without the weekly panel but he also had interviews with Lynwood Barkley and Professor Brian Cox today which I found very interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ok I could live without the weekly panel but he also had interviews with Lynwood Barkley and Professor Brian Cox today which I found very interesting

In fairness to PK, I was dipping in and out today so didn't hear those. Maybe I'm wrong but it does seem like when I do get to listen it's a bit all over the place. The Caroline Morahan (star of "I Keano" and "Anglo the Musical" :rolleyes:) was all I caught last week so throw in today's mixed bag and you can see my disillusionment.

Oh, did Cox talk about his D:Ream days? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

He did actually! Amongst lots of other things.. He's dreamy (Professor Cox that is now, not Pat! 😜)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 TheBorderFox1

I wonder does Pat Kenny ever get that sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach when he thinks he may have now made the wrong move - then again when he checks his pay slip - I don't think he would care to be honest such is his ego and arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I wonder does Pat Kenny ever get that sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach when he thinks he may have now made the wrong move - then again when he checks his pay slip - I don't think he would care to be honest such is his ego and arrogance.

I honestly don't know why some people think this? Pat comes across as a nice, affable kind of guy in my opinion. :confused:

If you want ego and arrogance, check out Derek Mooney and Joe Duffy on a weekday afternoon. I don't know how they still get away with plugging their personal little agendas on a station funded by the taxpayer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

This fatal foetal abnormality piece is tough listening. My heart goes out to any parent who has had to go through what the contributors had to.

As an aside, one thing that's not as good after the move is that the podcasting isn't as good as it was on RTÉ. Only a few articles per day seem to make it into the list and the feed (http://www.newstalk.ie/content/001/podcastFeeds/271.xml) doesn't seem to go back that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Scraping the barrel as regards content this morning.
    Definitely not enough newsworthy stories for himself and SOR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the nervous, warbling, almost-about-to-break-into-tears-esque voice of the woman in the travel slot grating?

Yakuza wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find the nervous, warbling, almost-about-to-break-into-tears-esque voice of the woman in the travel slot grating?

Awful. I checked the Newstalk camera last week to see if she looks as nervous as she sounds...nope, it's just her voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Yakuza wrote: »

First time I've heard her was today, came in mid-way through her slot. I was wondering if she had won a prize and had to review her holiday or something, she did not sound like a regular contributor to a radio show...

Advertisement