Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The casual manner in which that priest tried to explain why the catholic church sent known child abusing priests back into parishes with direct contact with children was breathtaking.

And his excuse that the church wasn't aware of the effects of the abuse on children until the rape crisies centre opened was ludicrious and insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lordRothery

Exactly it really is incredible that the catholic church STILL are making excuses for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

WHAT ??????

is this guy for real ??

We didn't understand the effects of abuse on kids in the 70's ?

Is he SERIOUS ????
    Lapin wrote: »
    The casual manner in which that priest tried to explain why the catholic church sent known child abusing priests back into parishes with direct contact with children was breathtaking.

And his excuse that the church wasn't aware of the effects of the abuse on children until the rape crisies centre opened was ludicrious and insulting.
    Exactly it really is incredible that the catholic church STILL are making excuses for this.

Father, forgive them for they know not what they do........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

Quite the opposite, it is to be expected and there is nothing incredible about it at all.

The RC church's attitude to women and children has always been disgusting, and there is little that morally bankrupt institution could do which would surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Quite the opposite, it is to be expected and there is nothing incredible about it at all.

The RC church's attitude to women and children has always been disgusting, and there is little that morally bankrupt institution could do which would surprise.

Sad but unfortunately very, very true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pervert! :eek: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I see Coleman had his brother in law, former FF crap minister, Dermot Aherne on.

Mumha wrote: »
    I see Coleman had his brother in law, former FF crap minister, Dermot Aherne on.

Presumably he had others on over the course of the 2½ hour show. what is it about this guest that caused you to comment?

Presumably he had others on over the course of the 2½ hour show. what is it about this guest that caused you to comment?

This guest was part of the regime that bankrupted our country and is currently living it up on a whacking massive undeserved pension(s).

This interviewer didn't state his relationship to said guest.

This guest was part of the regime that bankrupted our country and is currently living it up on a whacking massive undeserved pension(s).

This interviewer didn't state his relationship to said guest.

I don't understand what it is you object to. Are you suggesting that no one should be allowed to be interviewed who you consider was part of the regieme that bankrupted Ireland? Or is it people who you judge to be "living it up" who your think should be banned from being interviewed? Or is it pensioners who are in receipt of occupational pensions which you judge to be "undeserved" who should be banned from being interviewed?

Is it your opinion that these bannings should only apply to the radio, or should they be extended also to tv, print media and other forms of non print media? How will pensioners know if you consider them to be "living it up" on "undeserved pensions"?

• Advertisement

I don't understand what it is you object to. Are you suggesting that no one should be allowed to be interviewed who you consider was part of the regieme that bankrupted Ireland? Or is it people who you judge to be "living it up" who your think should be banned from being interviewed? Or is it pensioners who are in receipt of occupational pensions which you judge to be "undeserved" who should be banned from being interviewed?

Is it your opinion that these bannings should only apply to the radio, or should they be extended also to tv, print media and other forms of non print media? How will pensioners know if you consider them to be "living it up" on "undeserved pensions"?

All of the above, plus their lowlife defenders in the interweb should be impoverished as well. Twould be nice to see them get jailed as well for criminal incompetence :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Thanks for the info. I'm interested to learn of the connections between the personalities in the news.
    I'm often frustrated at the lack of detail provided in the introduction of guests on RTE.

Thanks for the info. I'm interested to learn of the connections between the personalities in the news.
    I'm often frustrated at the lack of detail provided in the introduction of guests on RTE.

Thanks, it happens on all media outlets unfortunately. I can get over where they were from but we need to understand where they have come from when they are giving a tainted opinion rather than facts.

For example,

Noel Whelan, while he is a barrister and a commentator, is regularly put forward as an Independent commentator, when in fact he is died in the wool Fianna Fail and stood for election for FF.

Johnny Fallon is a columnist with the Indo, and is a former FF political advisor, steeped in FF, yet is put forward as a "political analyst".

Gerard Howlin, is a former spin doctor for Bertie Ahern, yet if now regularly on media programmes and in print as a political analyst !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Not to forget Ivan Yeates a former FG minister. George Lee a former FG TD. Fergus Finlay the mastermind behind Labour for years. Politicial connections are widespread among radio presenters.

Of course it isnt just the presenters Denis O'Brien owns Newstalk and in effect controls Independent News and media. A quick google of his name with the word Tribunal will show his politicial connections.

If the airwaves are the battlefield of Irish politics the newsrooms have long been the trenches on those battlefields.

touts wrote: »
    Not to forget Ivan Yeates a former FG minister. George Lee a former FG TD. Fergus Finlay the mastermind behind Labour for years. Politicial connections are widespread among radio presenters.

Of course it isnt just the presenters Denis O'Brien owns Newstalk and in effect controls Independent News and media. A quick google of his name with the word Tribunal will show his politicial connections.

If the airwaves are the battlefield of Irish politics the newsrooms have long been the trenches on those battlefields.

Yates and Finlay are regularly identified as to where they have been in the last, Lee, well few will have forgotten what happened him - I doubt he'll be too pro FG !

The issue is that, as happens regularly on US TV, commentators on media should be CLEARLY identified as coming from a particular corner. That is not happening in Irish media.

Re O'Brien, he appears to be a user - some of his people are clearly FG but then the likes of Coleman and Healy are FF in Newstalk, while the Sindo is as Fianna Fail as you could possibly get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Yates and Finlay are regularly identified as to where they have been in the last, Lee, well few will have forgotten what happened him - I doubt he'll be too pro FG !

The issue is that, as happens regularly on US TV, commentators on media should be CLEARLY identified as coming from a particular corner. That is not happening in Irish media.

Re O'Brien, he appears to be a user - some of his people are clearly FG but then the likes of Coleman and Healy are FF in Newstalk, while the Sindo is as Fianna Fail as you could possibly get.

I'm intrigued as to how anybody could clearly identify Healy as being FF. He's more the radio equivalent of the Irish Daily Mail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'm intrigued as to how anybody could clearly identify Healy as being FF. He's more the radio equivalent of the Irish Daily Mail.

Might have something to do with jonathon healy can have for instance a piece about crumlin childrens hospital having to get all the funding for the new St Johns ward or heart unit.

Or maybe a piece about a woman who's child is seriously I'll and have lost there medical card, and then in the next segment he will have ex fianna fail td jim glennon on and not ask him a single question about the billions that fianna fail squandered on crooked banks and developers.

I wouldn't be surprised if all he's shows have to be pre cleared by fianna fail headquarters!

Might have something to do with jonathon healy can have for instance a piece about crumlin childrens hospital having to get all the funding for the new St Johns ward or heart unit.

Or maybe a piece about a woman who's child is seriously I'll and have lost there medical card, and then in the next segment he will have ex fianna fail td jim glennon on and not ask him a single question about the billions that fianna fail squandered on crooked banks and developers.

I wouldn't be surprised if all he's shows have to be pre cleared by fianna fail headquarters!

Glennon appeared on the Lunchtime Show prior to Healy hosting it. I fail to see how Healy not asking him about the money squandered by FF has anything to do with Fine Gael's cynical clawback of medical cards from chronically ill patients while Enda Kenny stands up in the Dail and continuously lies about it, and at the same time FG are wasting money by giving free GP care to children aged 5 and under without any semblance of means testing. Presumably Michael O'Leary will be delighted to know that his kids will be entitled to free medical cards :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

All of the above, plus their lowlife defenders in the interweb should be impoverished as well. Twould be nice to see them get jailed as well for criminal incompetence :D

Well said.

Well said, yeah FFers get an easy ride and whenever anyone mentions that we have no money because FF bankrupted the country, he always bats that down by saying "you can't keep using that old excuse" !!! FFS, you can't flick a switch and go from bankruptcy to having money when we are still borrowing 10 BN a year !!! :mad:

p.s. Glennon gets a free ride to dig away at the Government or Sinn Fein, and Healy takes it as gospel.

• Advertisement

It seems PK is absent this week as he was for most of the latter part of last week. I called newstalk on the number of their website to ask why, as there was no announcement at the top of the programme. Does anyone know why he is absent?

It seems PK is absent this week as he was for most of the latter part of last week. I called newstalk on the number of their website to ask why, as there was no announcement at the top of the programme. Does anyone know why he is absent?

He's back tomorrow.

He's back tomorrow.

So you think the reason he is absent is because he is back tomorrow? Eh, ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Xmas Shopping? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Surprised they didn't tell you the details of his personal life.

kneemos wrote: »
    Surprised they didn't tell you the details of his personal life.

I didn't get to speak to anyone at Newstalk. The number on their website isn't for them at all, but gets through to the building reception. She then said she would put me through to newstalk, and the person who eventually answered told me he worked for Phantom and not Newstalk. Back to reception and she eventually connects me to someone's voicemail. I have no idea whose voicemail it was, of if it was even someone at newstalks voicemail.

Remember, this company is in the communications business, and when one of their biggest stars is absent they just ignore his listeners and leave them to guess when and why he is absent.

In the absence of information maybe someone should start one of those exciting rumours that PK is unhappy with newstalk and is trying to oust Larry Gogan out at 2FM and get Larry's slot. PK doing the just a minute quiz should be worth a listen, and if Marian gets +- 300K for 4 hours a week, PK should be worth more than that for 5 hours replacing Larry Gogan every week.

It seems PK is absent this week as he was for most of the latter part of last week.
    He's back tomorrow.
    So you think the reason he is absent is because he is back tomorrow? Eh, ok.

I was merely pointing out that Pat Kenny is only absent for one day this week. I'm not privy to Pat's personal life so I wouldn't know the reason why he is absent, and I wouldn't be sad enough to ring up Newstalk to try to find out.

I was merely pointing out that Pat Kenny is only absent for one day this week. I'm not privy to Pat's personal life so I wouldn't know the reason why he is absent, and I wouldn't be sad enough to ring up Newstalk to try to find out.

Ouch! Hopefully I am not "sad enough" to call you names like you just did to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Really? You actually demanded to know why the presenter of a programme on a commercial privately owned station was off for a few days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Aw, can't we all just get along?? :P

Advertisement