Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

If you did not know that journalists working professionally as journalists need to be paid, then you now know that. To tell someone else they "left out" telling you that journalists working professionally as journalists needs to be paid suggests a certain naiveness.

And "naiveness"(sic) suggests a certain illiteracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Welcome to the wonderful world of fuked up PC leglislation.

no wonder so many companies dont do crimbo do's anymore. they blame the economy but getting sued for some of that crap is mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I was just about to post something similar, this one spouting PC waffle to beat the band.

I can foresee emails coming around next year, "here is your invite to this year's Christmas Party, subject to your reply having acknowledged the attached 50-page memo that outlines your rights and responsibilities".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Scary isn't it? Xmas parties across the land drawing up contracts -

- No physical contact under any circumstances
    - No lifts home
    - No phones/cameras
    - Burqa dress code only
    - chastity belts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

mike65 wrote: »

- No lifts home
    - No phones/cameras
    - Burqa dress code only
    - chastity belts

Reminds me of some of the rules during my boarding school days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

mike65 wrote: »

- No lifts home
    - No phones/cameras
    - Burqa dress code only
    - chastity belts

The Legal Profession will achieve what the RC Church couldn't :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Was there an element of bitchiness to Pat repeatedly referring to Brendan O"Brien as "a former RTE broadcaster"? It seemed like it was a dig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Was there an element of bitchiness to Pat repeatedly referring to Brendan O"Brien as "a former RTE broadcaster"? It seemed like it was a dig.

Maybe but that's not new in broadcasting circles is it?

Will Leahy was talking on his programme one evening about the 2nd Captains TV Show when it was on there in the Autumn. Said something to the effect that it should be good, as the presenters used to present a sports show on another station " a sort of poor man's Game On".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

As someone who used to be a fan of PK, I don't think I listened to his show once this week, and seem to be losing the habit. I think what irritates me are the incessant ads and competitions, coupled with the fact that when pat was in RTE he was able to give topics more time, and guests more time, but at Newstalk the most interesting articles seem to be chopped short.

As someone who used to be a fan of PK, I don't think I listened to his show once this week, and seem to be losing the habit. I think what irritates me are the incessant ads and competitions, coupled with the fact that when pat was in RTE he was able to give topics more time, and guests more time, but at Newstalk the most interesting articles seem to be chopped short.

Agree, it does seem to be a dumped down version of his old RTE1 show. After the first week I find I rarely listen now and mostly just use play back & skip through th adverts & competitions and in honesty most of the items too. If i had to listen to that Ben Dunne advert all day I'd go doolally.
    All in all I think Pad made a very bad decision ... unless, of course, Denis made it well wroth his while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Well he probably needs to pay to have his trophy house painted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

Well he probably needs to pay to have his trophy house painted

More inverted snobbery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Ditto. The formats of the shows are pretty much exactly the same, as well - right down to Friday gatherings - which I found disappointing and surprising. Some of the only distinguishing qualities are the shorter and less frequent ads, and the better news-readers, on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Very ditto.

I'm listening less & less lately.

I've noticed meatier political topics are thin on the ground.... A lot more 'lifestyle' stuff.

I can't remember the last time he tore into a politician?
    (Though I find both newstalk & TodayFM are quite soft on the political classes).

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

Very ditto.

I'm listening less & less lately.

I've noticed meatier political topics are thin on the ground.... A lot more 'lifestyle' stuff.

I can't remember the last time he tore into a politician?
    (Though I find both newstalk & TodayFM are quite soft on the political classes).

It got off to a cold start but I'll be honest I find myself listening more and more. I was delighted to hear they didn't do a Nelson Mandella special as I find that the radio,tv and papers had covered it exceptionally well. The man was a legend and not too much could really be said about his passing that we didn't already know. Pat covered a few different storied including ESB which showed he and the team connected and considered the audience had already had been mandellaed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

That was the same with me.

I got everything on the mandella front on the night he died when ALL the TV stations played their prerecorded peices at once .

It's a BIG story but like the JFK thing ya reach a tipping point very quickly . Was nice to get a break from it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Only just heard the interview with Sean Quinn via podcast, not sure when it was aired. Terrible interview from Kenny, he seemed content to allow Quinn say what he wanted, didn't challenge him on any points, and it sounded like Kenny had a list of questions he wanted to ask, there wasn't many follow up questions or anything.

Is he being constrained by Newstalk? Or is he just gone soft in his old age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

dulpit wrote: »
    Only just heard the interview with Sean Quinn via podcast, not sure when it was aired. Terrible interview from Kenny, he seemed content to allow Quinn say what he wanted, didn't challenge him on any points, and it sounded like Kenny had a list of questions he wanted to ask, there wasn't many follow up questions or anything.

My opinion is that he doesn't have the back up of the very experienced team he had in Montrose .

The little I heard of him was poor,and I had great regard for him in RTE.

He doesn't seem to 'fit' in Newstalk if that makes sense, just seems out of place.

There seems just to be something 'wrong' when he hands over to a reporter who is probably 40 years younger than he is,and then has to 'stand over ' the report given when ,to my mind ,it is nothing he would put his name to in RTE.

Difficult to put in words, but I would say O'Rourke is the clear winner so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭serfboard

Difficult to put in words, but I would say O'Rourke is the clear winner so far.
    I think so as well.

I "moved the dial" at the start out of curiosity, but the PK show now is much more lifestyle fluff and issues clearly aimed at women than previously. That presumably is the strategy, but it doesn't appeal to me.

I'd much rather Seán tearing into some politician and being given longer to do it!

Having said that, I don't think Seán is as good at the lighter topics. Overall I think Pat has the better skill mix, but he's not employing them on Newstalk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

serfboard wrote: »
    I think so as well.

I "moved the dial" at the start out of curiosity, but the PK show now is much more lifestyle fluff and issues clearly aimed at women than previously. That presumably is the strategy, but it doesn't appeal to me.

I'd much rather Seán tearing into some politician and being given longer to do it!

Having said that, I don't think Seán is as good at the lighter topics. Overall I think Pat has the better skill mix, but he's not employing them on Newstalk.

Its interesting to hear people say they love hearing Sean 'tear' into a politician. I don't recall him tearing into many politicians when the property bubble was in full effect, or unions were calling for and getting unsustainable wage increases.

Our national broadcaster also had a duty to ask the tough questions of the crooks that sold out our country but they failed to do so.

Pat kenny had bertie ahern on recently, and had a good chin wag about GAA. Refusing to ask him any questions about him bankrupting a country. Even though pat is now working for a private corp and shouldn't have to worry about a chastising from montrose.

We are very poorly served by public service broadcasting in this country. But I suppose as long as the government are setting the licence fee to pay there over inflated wages, nothing will change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

dulpit wrote: »

I listened to it the day it was aired. Newstalk were constrained about what was allowed to be aired for legal reasons. Kenny emphasised this many times before the recorded interview was aired itself. If he was grilled properly, then I doubt it was allowed to go to air for legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

what would the legal reasons be?
    also if we're not allowed to question them how will we know who is responsible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

what would the legal reasons be?
    also if we're not allowed to question them how will we know who is responsible?

Because of the legal proceedings by anglo (and whoever else) against him. I didn't hear the interview but trial by media as tempting as it seems can't replace court proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

meeeeh wrote: »
    Because of the legal proceedings by anglo (and whoever else) against him. I didn't hear the interview but trial by media as tempting as it seems can't replace court proceedings.

That's fair enough, but he could still have probed further, instead of allowing Quinn a soapbox to talk from for about 20-25 minutes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It's a good thing we have a choice of Pat and Sean O'Rourke. I'm all Mandella-ed out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

It's a good thing we have a choice of Pat and Sean O'Rourke. I'm all Mandella-ed out at this stage.

Its like any news worthy item these days. It goes on and on and on and on. Pat kenny covering it now so im reversing the dial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Its like any news worthy item these days. It goes on and on and on and on. Pat kenny covering it now so im reversing the dial.

Just in time for Marie Louise O'Dramatic :eek:

Just in time for Marie Louise O'Dramatic :eek:

Hence my arrival here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

totally agree there:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Pat seems unsure who owns 90% of hospitals.

Advertisement