Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Basic standard common sense.
    You must sell for more than the cost to produce..to make a profit.

If not someone must make up the difference.

The someone,is the issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Supermarkets are selling them at this price as a loss leader. Get people in the door and they'll hopefully spend money on other items.

Nice to see farmers trying to dictate the price supermarkets charge for the products on their shelves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I feel like I'm trapped in a late night lounge bar in New York, circa 1974 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

More Music wrote: »
    Supermarkets are selling them at this price as a loss leader. Get people in the door and they'll hopefully spend money on other items.

Nice to see farmers trying to dictate the price supermarkets charge for the products on their shelves.

It's certainly better that flogging off slabs of beer as a loss leader IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Pat has obviously been swotting up about Nicole Scherzinger, Tulisa etc.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

"Expose" on radio now! How the mighty are fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

What a racket...:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Jesus that backing singer is painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Terrible wasn't it?

Still Pat will back in the seat as normal on Monday which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

So what your saying is, you don't know.

It was a legit question.
    You seemed certain that many Irish farmers have to go to the wall if they cannot survive on 5c per Kilo.

Being from a farming background myself, I was (and still am) keen to hear your ideas on how 5c per kilo is a sustainable price.

..... So when you know what your talking about, please let us know.

5c per kilo? The farmers are not selling at 5c per kilo lol. Do you even have a basic notion of the debate? Of course you do, but like every other Farmer you're being disingenuous and spreading propaganda. Just because Aldi are selling at 5c doesn't mean the farmers are being paid that. Did anyone give a sh^t when Peats went to the wall because they were undercut by larger chains who could offer loss leading deals in the sales. No.

You don't need to tell me you're from a Farming background, i took that as a given because you demonstrate a narrow minded selfish interest in the debate. Now g'wan away and weep into your Turnips because your ilk in the Farming community are being forced to modernise or die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Skid X wrote: »
    Dermot Goode was on the show on December 9th talking about the Health Insurance market.

You can listen back to the show here

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/launch

Thanks very much.

This stuff with St Vincents is really rampant greed ... have these people no shame? (Silly question, of course they haven't) :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Callan57 wrote: »
    This stuff with St Vincents is really rampant greed ... have these people no shame? (Silly question, of course they haven't) :mad:

Why did it take so long to become public, and what were the administrators looking over the books actually doing?

Why did it take so long to become public, and what were the administrators looking over the books actually doing?

Probably the same thing as the "Auditors" at Anglo - working hard to make sure they didn't see anything inconvenient. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I can only listen to PK on the podcast due to work etc.

For me it is totally dire. Cuts in and out, and buffers for ages. But then again, that may be my WiFi.

Although the RTE (and other) podcasts and listen back....no problems.

Am I alone in this?

I have given up the Newstalk podcast and listen back now. sadly. But will try again someday.

If NT were on the ball, and had their listen back and podcasts second to none they would be in clover. But they don't seem to give a rats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Ciaran

I can only listen to PK on the podcast due to work etc.

For me it is totally dire. Cuts in and out, and buffers for ages. But then again, that may be my WiFi.

Although the RTE (and other) podcasts and listen back....no problems.

Am I alone in this?

I have given up the Newstalk podcast and listen back now. sadly. But will try again someday.

If NT were on the ball, and had their listen back and podcasts second to none they would be in clover. But they don't seem to give a rats.

Can you not download the file rather than streaming it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

5c per kilo? The farmers are not selling at 5c per kilo lol. Do you even have a basic notion of the debate? Of course you do, but like every other Farmer you're being disingenuous and spreading propaganda. Just because Aldi are selling at 5c doesn't mean the farmers are being paid that. Did anyone give a sh^t when Peats went to the wall because they were undercut by larger chains who could offer loss leading deals in the sales. No.

You don't need to tell me you're from a Farming background, i took that as a given because you demonstrate a narrow minded selfish interest in the debate. Now g'wan away and weep into your Turnips because your ilk in the Farming community are being forced to modernise or die.

If you can't answer the question, that's fine.

Just don't pretend you have the slightest notion what your talking about.

Also hiding ignorance with a petty insult is pretty sad.

Fair play to Pat, the missus must have suggested she'd already had enough of him! :)

Is anyone else suffering momentary volume drops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

mike65 wrote: »
    Fair play to Pat, the missus must have suggested she'd already had enough of him! :)

Yep it's happening on RTE,2fm and KCLR?. Must be something to do with mast on mt Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mike65 wrote: »

Might as well stayed in bed for the sake of an hour and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

been pretty much the only show worth listening too this morning IMO.

Im sick to death of newstalks fecking "documentaries" though.

is it REALLY that hard to slap something together over the year to roll out at christmas instead of relying on them and "Best of" interviews?

even letting some of the behind the mike crew throw somthing together thats original would be better than the repeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

kneemos wrote: »
    Might as well stayed in bed for the sake of an hour and a half.

It's a good idea to have a shorter show at this time of year, there is usually very little happening.

2 1/2 hours is too long for the regular show, there is too much padding most days.

It's a good idea to have a shorter show at this time of year, there is usually very little happening.

2 1/2 hours is too long for the regular show, there is too much padding most days.

:eek:

Only one of the most disruptive storms for years, 60k subscribers without power, severe road and travel disruption,30 year papers unleashed, apparent stabbings
    In Shankhill, murder hunt in Wexford, civil war in South Sudan, car bombs in Beirut,flooding in the UK..... Yeah guess you're right , very little happening:cool:

:eek:

Only one of the most disruptive storms for years, 60k subscribers without power, severe road and travel disruption,30 year papers unleashed, apparent stabbings
    In Shankhill, murder hunt in Wexford, civil war in South Sudan, car bombs in Beirut,flooding in the UK..... Yeah guess you're right , very little happening:cool:

That's silly, do you expect radio stations to do their schedules in advance and know that there will be extreme weather?

This is a slow news week, everyone knows that. All TV and Radio News programmes are shorter than usual (if they are on at all). And there are hardly any Current Affairs issues, which is the staple of PK's show.

That's silly, do you expect radio stations to do their schedules in advance and know that there will be extreme weather?

This is a slow news week, everyone knows that. All TV and Radio News programmes are shorter than usual (if they are on at all). And there are hardly any Current Affairs issues, which is the staple of PK's show.

No it's not a slow news week and it's not silly.

It's only a slow news reporting week in this country because the media want to go on a two week holiday.

Can I respectfully refer you to the Sky News promo....

" just because it's Xmas doesn't mean there is nothing happening"

It's the very same ,newswise, as any other week.

Just RTE don't report it

Kenny started the programme with the weather and disruption, they did the car bomb, someone getting stabbed in Dublin is hardly news thee days.

No it's not a slow news week and it's not silly.

It's only a slow news reporting week in this country because the media want to go on a two week holiday.

Can I respectfully refer you to the Sky News promo....

" just because it's Xmas doesn't mean there is nothing happening"

It's the very same ,newswise, as any other week.

Just RTE don't report it

That's the same Sky News which normally fill up the end of the year with endless repeats of their 'Best of the year' programmes.

It's not just this country - have a look at the listings for the UK or US. Very few people want to listen to hard news this week, unless there is a major incident.

That's the same Sky News which normally fill up the end of the year with endless repeats of their 'Best of the year' programmes.

It's not just this country - have a look at the listings for the UK or US. Very few people want to listen to hard news this week, unless there is a major incident.

I have to disagree, BBC4 had the Today prog.as normal this morning.

With reference to "hard news" you may have a point, however that shouldn't prevent a station which has the listener in mind,and commercial advantage, from putting out a programme which keeps the listener in touch with what is going on.

I posted earlier that Newstalk, in my opinion, got it right,with the Chris Donohue
    offering this morning breezy, informative, live and told the punter what the weather traffic, general news was.

To just shunt out music, two hours of John Murray, followed by two hours of Ronan Collins, to me is treating the RTE1 listener like some kind of gombeen who is fobbed off by this poor service year after year for the benefit of the staff.

Not good enough in my opinion for a 2014 broadcasting service.

Haven't moved with the times and won't probably until forced by the competition to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The banjos are back today!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ya just know pat rocks out to this music every night when he goes home.

:D

only excuse i can see for it.

Advertisement