Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Boroso

I agree and as soon as I heard his name being announced, I turned Newstalk off. It sounds as if he does compile it all from Wiki or google, and his delivery style comes over as patronising. The producer needs to think again about this aspect of the show as its not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

These Fionn Davenport history things feel like cheap filler to me, something a work experience kid could knock out with a couple of hours on Wikipedia.

Can't listen to him with his put on voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Boroso wrote: »
    The producer needs to think again about this aspect of the show as its not working.

They should swap Davenport's bit with Graham Finlay's excellent history slot on the Moncrieff show, more in keeping with what assumes are the relative statuses of the two programmes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Even if your claim is true that the people of Spain, Italy, France, Greece, Malta and Cyprus live longer and healthier lives, how does that in any way show that claim is dependant on her claim, in the program, that's it's all to do with glugging gallons of olive oil?

Well I wasn't trying to establish that she is right about olive oil, I was trying to disprove your claim about people in Mediterranean not living longer (in comparable income countries).

And secondly as far as I know olive oil is one of the better fats to consume but as a replacement for other fats, not in addition to other fats. I seriously doubt this is true for all the rubbish olive oil that is being sold in the shops though.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Well I wasn't trying to establish that she is right about olive oil, I was trying to disprove your claim about people in Mediterranean not living longer (in comparable income countries).

And secondly as far as I know olive oil is one of the better fats to consume but as a replacement for other fats, not in addition to other fats. I seriously doubt this is true for all the rubbish olive oil that is being sold in the shops though.

Well, her claim was that olive oil has health and longevity benefits, and there is no evidence for that

• Advertisement

Well, her claim was that olive oil has health and longevity benefits, and there is no evidence for that
    I know Wikipedia is not the most reliable source but there is some research implying health benefits of olive oil. I might be wrong but I would love you to support your claims with a bit more than because I said so.
    Preliminary clinical studies provide evidence that consumption of olive oil may lower risk of heart disease risk factors such as lower blood cholesterol levels and reduced LDL cholesterol oxidation,[73] and that it may also possibly influence inflammatory, thrombotic, hypertensive and vasodilatory mechanisms.[36][74][75][76] Although epidemiological studies indicate that a higher proportion of monounsaturated fats in the diet may be linked with a reduction in the risk of coronary heart disease,[77] a cause and effect relationship has not yet been established with sufficient scientific evidence.[78]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil

I know Wikipedia is not the most reliable source but there is some research implying health benefits of olive oil. I might be wrong but I would love you to support your claims with a bit more than because I said so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil

I agree that Wikipedia is not a reliable reference source.

You seem to have misunderstood and I make no claims and would never ask anyone to believe anything from anyone "because I said so". It is because "she said so" on the PK program which prompted me to post here, as her claims were unproven.

Science doesn't work by someone making a claim, and then someone else having to disprove it. In any case, you can't prove a negative. (If I asked you to prove there were not invisible teapots flying around space, you could not prove there were not).

Science works by someone making a claim, and then producing evidence for their claim. To claim, as she did, that glugging gallons of olive oil was responsible for both a healthier and longer life, is a claim without foundation, and it's important to point that out.

There is an urban myth, possibly created by a tv advert for a margarine made with limited amounts of olive oil, that "at the table no one grows old", creating the myth that using oilve oil leads to a longer and healthier life. The power of advertising is such that many people believe that to be true, when in fact there is absolutely no evidence that it is true.

I agree that Wikipedia is not a reliable reference source.

You seem to have misunderstood and I make no claims and would never ask anyone to believe anything from anyone "because I said so". It is because "she said so" on the PK program which prompted me to post here, as her claims were unproven.

Science doesn't work by someone making a claim, and then someone else having to disprove it. In any case, you can't prove a negative. (If I asked you to prove there were not invisible teapots flying around space, you could not prove there were not).

Science works by someone making a claim, and then producing evidence for their claim. To claim, as she did, that glugging gallons of olive oil was responsible for both a healthier and longer life, is a claim without foundation, and it's important to point that out.

There is an urban myth, possibly created by a tv advert for a margarine made with limited amounts of olive oil, that "at the table no one grows old", creating the myth that using oilve oil leads to a longer and healthier life. The power of advertising is such that many people believe that to be true, when in fact there is absolutely no evidence that it is true.

Wikipedia link I posted has plenty of links to health claims done by proper research, all I asked was some of them being disproved. What has a local add for margerine to do with global research I do not know.

Wikipedia link I posted has plenty of links to health claims done by proper research, all I asked was some of them being disproved. What has a local add for margerine to do with global research I do not know.

I don’t have the time to trawl through your article in wiki, which you acknowledge is unreliable. If you want to post some of your health claims here, with the evidence, I'll take a look at them.

I know all you asked was to disprove them, and I already replied:
    Science doesn't work by someone making a claim, and then someone else having to disprove it…

Science works by someone making a claim, and then producing evidence for their claim.

You see the problem is that plenty of research supports her claims. You didn't offer anything that contradicts her claims. And btw I don't need the lectures on how science works.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266258.php

• Advertisement

You see the problem is that plenty of research supports her claims. You didn't offer anything that contradicts her claims. And btw I don't need the lectures on how science works.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266258.php

If you consider a conversation to be a "lecture", then why do you want to continue a conversation with someone who you consider to be lecturing you?

You seem to want us to do all your work for you, to trawl through links you post here, either for wiki or other links, and then looking for whatever it is you consider to be evidence, and then to discuss that.

If you want to make a claim, and show us your evidence, then do that. But I don't have time to do that for you from the links you produce.

Well mister you said her claims were myth without offering any substance.

I posted a link which disproves your claims about health expectancy.

I posted links which disprove your claims about olive oil health benefits being a myth.

All you managed was a review of an add for margerine and an 'explanation' (note the lack of word 'lecture') on how science works. Seriously?

If you want to make a claim, and show us your evidence, then do that. But I don't have time to do that for you from wading through the links you produce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

They should swap Davenport's bit with Graham Finlay's excellent history slot on the Moncrieff show, more in keeping with what assumes are the relative statuses of the two programmes.

Or Turtle Bunbury from the Breakfast Show.

If you want to make a claim, and show us your evidence, then do that. But I don't have time to do that for you from wading through the links you produce.
    Then don't call people halfwits if you can't support your claims.

Anyway I prefer arguing with people who can offer some substance so I am out.

Then don't call people halfwits if you can't support your claims.

Anyway I prefer arguing with people who can offer some substance so I am out.

Ironically, as everyone reading this can see, I have been asking you to produce some substance for your claims in the last few posts, and it's a mystery why you haven't done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I dare say that Lord Xenu will be unavailable for comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

This "Church" was invented by a science fiction writer, some of its beliefs are some of the most outlandish stuff I've ever heard. It makes the bible look like a news bulletin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yakuza wrote: »
    This "Church" was invented by a science fiction writer, some of its beliefs are some of the most outlandish stuff I've ever heard. It makes the bible look like a news bulletin.

"Some" of the beliefs ?

She said she was involved with drugs since she was 13 before Scientology came along to save her, so how did she managed to study and get into Queens University ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Will pat ask about the alien spirits captured by Xenu and put into volcanoes & blown up by H-bombs?

Please Pat... please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

"Scientology believes Man to be basically good, not evil" - a direct quote from its website. That's fair enough (if fairly self-evident).
    It's the whackjob stuff about the Xenu incident / thetans etc. which is off the wall. Check out http://www.xenu.net/archive/infopack/6.htm (A site debunking this "Church").

Edit - he's starting to get stuck into her, she's on the back foot now. Gwaaan PK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

something up here lads.

paul willimans is being very restrained on pat kenny now in relation to the murder last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

something up here lads.

paul willimans is being very restrained on pat kenny now in relation to the murder last night

Paul Williams being restrained??? :eek:

Can I listen back to that before the whole show ends, does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

something up here lads.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

None of the usual rhetoric from him. even slagged off some coverage saying theres no proof for the allegations.

not like him at all IMO.

None of the usual rhetoric from him. even slagged off some coverage saying theres no proof for the allegations.

not like him at all IMO.

I had assumed that when we wrote here it was out opinions we were giving, and not the opinions of others.

If you don't say "IMO" at the end of a post, are we to assume that particular post may not be your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I had assumed that when we wrote here it was out opinions we were giving, and not the opinions of others.

If you don't say "IMO" at the end of a post, are we to assume that particular post may not be your opinion?

Where would we be without the pedantic police? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭endas donkey

smug gilmore on now with his usual 'we will do whatever the hell we want'.

Get this cretin off the airwaves now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

smug gilmore on now with his usual 'we will do whatever the hell we want'.

Get this cretin off the airwaves now

Was it not Rabbitte who was rabbiting on? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭endas donkey

yes you are correct it was smug rabbitte.

Advertisement