Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lead article a child being savaged by a dog...Pat's moving into Joe Duffy territory....off to SOR with me.

I've found that I don't listen to him as much as I used to when he was on RTE, maybe it's editorial direction, him being allowed more reign over the topics, I don't know, but he's slipping down the tabloidy slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

'Destroyed' still strikes me as a odd word to use in cases like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

One year on, I wonder does Pat ever have any second thoughts about moving the dial himself?

While I imagine he's still glad to be out of the confines of RTÉ, I often think he feels a tad frustrated with the resources at his disposal in Digg's Lane.

Despite its name, Newstalk doesn't have the same gravitas as the state broadcaster when it comes to news and current affairs and often relies more on tabloid human interest stories to generate listener's interest.

Presenters at Newstalk are encouraged to partake in the debates themselves and add their own opinions. To his credit, Kenny largely avoids this and his programme remains balanced and impartial as a result unlike others at the station which have become mouthpieces for their presenter's views and agendas.

Now that the silly season is over, The Pat Kenny Show needs to get down to doing what its host does best. Less of the cat stuck up a tree stuff and more of the serious interviews that have earned Kenny his deserved reputation as the best current affairs broadcaster in the country.

Newstalk needs to live up to its name and invest more in this programme above all others. Espicially in the headline first hour. Maybe even take on a special reporter assigned specifically to Kenny to take on the bigger stories with him. Retain the regular features for the second hour such as the excellent science slot with Luke O'Neill.

Kenny would probably have it a lot better at Newstalk if his former employers had difficulty in replacing him. But Seán O'Rourke has eased into to his new role and made the mid morning slot his own. And over the past year I've found my dial moving back to Montrose more and more often between 10am and midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've found that I don't listen to him as much as I used to when he was on RTE, maybe it's editorial direction, him being allowed more reign over the topics, I don't know, but he's slipping down the tabloidy slope.

... more like speeding down it like an olympic skier :eek:

Lapin wrote: »
    To his credit, Kenny largely avoids this and his programme remains balanced and impartial as a result unlike others at the station which have become mouthpieces for their presenter's views and agendas.

This I think is becoming less and less of a point though, he becomes less impartial on some topics, overly so I think, such as the Angela Kerins debacle for example. There's a few other cases that I can't actually remember at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭serfboard

ThisRegard wrote: »
    he becomes less impartial on some topics
    IMO this was happening before he left RTE, and if you're becoming like that, and your opinions are aligining to DOB's (public sector bad, private sector good), then Newstalk is the place to go.

George Hook boasts after all that he is not a journalist and so he doesn't believe in OTOH-OTOH type discussion ...

I don't have any issues with Hook being like that, that's the way he's always been and you expect it from him. As you say, he doesn't hide from his ideologies and allegiances.

Or his lack of knowledge on nearly every subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Lapin wrote: »
    And over the past year I've found my dial moving back to Montrose more and more often between 10am and midday.

Tend to agree - the advertorial culture on Newstalk wears thin after a while. I know they don't get a licence fee etc. and I don't mind plain ads too much but when the advertising is integrated into the show, I find myself moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Trees, the trees! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

How bleedin' hard is it to pronounce "Al-Qaeda"? "Alkeeda" definitely isn't one of the normal ways to pronounce it, outside of whevever Michael O'Regan hails from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Rose of Tralee Chairman on next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Rose of Tralee whinging about whingers. Yawn.

This is exhilarating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

Yakuza wrote: »
    How bleedin' hard is it to pronounce "Al-Qaeda"? "Alkeeda" definitely isn't one of the normal ways to pronounce it, outside of whevever Michael O'Regan hails from.

Michael O'Regan is very difficult to listen to at the best of times, how he was chosen to stand in for Pat is beyond me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Robert2012 wrote: »
    Michael O'Regan is very difficult to listen to at the best of times, how he was chosen to stand in for Pat is beyond me..

Obviously the bottom of the barrel has been reached.:(

Where is Pat gone - again? Getting to be a bit like Gerry Ryan was with all his absences. You think he is back from his holidays and then you tune in to find
    he is off again, as per today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

I always found Kenny to be over rated.

RTE gave him many opportunities,and the salary to boot.

He then ends up doing exactly the same thing with a rival.

He appears to lack creativity,and comes across as bland and repititious.He never appeared to be in touch with his audience.

I can think of many individuals and organisations,who deserve his salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Where is Pat gone - again? Getting to be a bit like Gerry Ryan was with all his absences. You think he is back from his holidays and then you tune in to find
    he is off again, as per today.

Probably something to do with his UTV gig, I wouldn't be surprised if his absence became a regular Friday occurrence :rolleyes:

I always found Kenny to be over rated.

RTE gave him many opportunities,and the salary to boot.

He then ends up doing exactly the same thing with a rival.

He appears to lack creativity,and comes across as bland and repititious.He never appeared to be in touch with his audience.

• Advertisement

gladrags wrote: »

What possible business is it of yours what his salary is? You're not paying it but that obviously has no effect on your sense of begrudgery...if he can squeeze a few scheckles out of Irelands favorite tax-exile then I say fair play to him.

What possible business is it of yours what his salary is? You're not paying it but that obviously has no effect on your sense of begrudgery...if he can squeeze a few scheckles out of Irelands favorite tax-exile then I say fair play to him.

Relax, its Friday.

I would imagine as has squeezed more than a few sheckles from the public purse,for what I regard was one of Ireland's favourite bottomless money pits.I think it is fair to say Pat was less than value for money.

He then proceeds to whinge about his last employer,who shovelled the dosh at him.

Anyway, he is in the public domain,and I have every right to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Radio Freak

kenny is well paid for his show on Newstalk as he is a very experienced presenter. You must be working for rte or another station to make comments on

kenny is well paid for his show on Newstalk as he is a very experienced presenter. You must be working for rte or another station to make comments on

Kenny is just one of many experienced presenters,good at his job,like many others.

We are all experienced,I am sure.

Tell me how he has improved Irish society?, given his exhorbitant salary.

I am merely an observer,a statistic,I have no media connection.

You're right of course. Only volunteers of Vincent de Paul, nurses and holy saints should get paid squillions. Everyone else should receive a stipend and the occasional potatoe if they meet your expectations of good behaviour. PK and his ilk should be excommunicated to Mayo where they can grow potatoes for the new elite.

Probably something to do with his UTV gig, I wouldn't be surprised if his absence became a regular Friday occurrence :rolleyes:

I suspected it might have something to do with that!

You're right of course. Only volunteers of Vincent de Paul, nurses and holy saints should get paid squillions. Everyone else should receive a stipend and the occasional potatoe if they meet your expectations of good behaviour. PK and his ilk should be excommunicated to Mayo where they can grow potatoes for the new elite.

I believe you know exactly what I mean,and you know the difference between substance and shallow repetitive talk shows,that clearly serve no purpose,and achieve less.

Radio,was and is a priceless medium for society,all politics aside.

Spare me from your left/right mantra.

I believe you know exactly what I mean,and you know the difference between substance and shallow repetitive talk shows,that clearly serve no purpose,and achieve less.

Radio,was and is a priceless medium for society,all politics aside.

gladrags wrote: »

I'll grab me potatoe on the way out...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

FFS the man is a private individual working for a private employer.

Can he not take a couple of days off without people jumping to conclusions about his reasons for doing so? It would be different if he was being paid through the licence fee tax.

And what the hell is a potatoe anyway?

Advertisement