Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Meathlass wrote: »
    God this is some rubbish on PK now.

I, like thousands of people, are at work today and would like to hear decent radio, not hyperactive kids screaming at huskies.

I was just thinking that (and I switched back to RTE to see if it's any better there).

Radio descends into complete farce for the few days before Christmas (and probably after), complete waste of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Agreed.

I mean there's very few important news stories they could be covering is there?

- Pregnant woman on life support case review
    - Tragic incident in Glasgow
    - North Korea cyber vandalism
    - Talks in the North
    - Labour almost at the margin of error in opinion polls
    - Erupting scandal in the UK involving pedophilia and murder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I was just thinking that (and I switched back to RTE to see if it's any better there).

Radio descends into complete farce for the few days before Christmas (and probably after), complete waste of space.

The biggest cringe fest on both radio and TV around this time is the obsession with the returning 'emigrants' at Christmas and the same process in reverse after Christmas. There should be no big deal these days when family members are only a few hours journey away. I saw one family on the RTE news losing the run of themselves because a daughter was returning home from BIRMINGHAM of all places.
    What is wrong with these people; Birmingham is all of a 40 minute flight away. Imagine the consternation if their darlings went to live in far-flung Kerry or Donegal when it would take them 3 or 4 HOURS to get home.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The biggest cringe fest on both radio and TV around this time is the obsession with the returning 'emigrants' at Christmas and the same process in reverse after Christmas. There should be no big deal these days when family members are only a few hours journey away. I saw one family on the RTE news losing the run of themselves because a daughter was returning home from BIRMINGHAM of all places.
    What is wrong with these people; Birmingham is all of a 40 minute flight away. Imagine the consternation if their darlings went to live in far-flung Kerry or Donegal when it would take them 3 or 4 HOURS to get home.

Not as good as the guy who was studying in the US since September (3 months folks). He did a video of himself coming home, surprising his mother and then hiding in a box to jump out at his sister who cried as if she hadn't seen him for years.

C'mon, 3 months.

Anyway, Robin Williams now. At least that's vaguely interesting and lets Pat go for a cup of coffee while the VT is running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Meathlass wrote: »
    Agreed.

I mean there's very few important news stories they could be covering is there?

- Pregnant woman on life support case review
    - Tragic incident in Glasgow
    - North Korea cyber vandalism
    - Talks in the North
    - Labour almost at the margin of error in opinion polls
    - Erupting scandal in the UK involving pedophilia and murde
    r

It's okay Meathlass, I'm sure Joe Duffy has it covered.... Oh no, today is the top ten people of Ireland in 2014, as judged by Joe Duffy himself..

• Advertisement

It's okay Meathlass, I'm sure Joe Duffy has it covered.... Oh no, today is the top ten people of Ireland in 2014, as judged by Joe Duffy himself..

Oh Christ really!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So Ivor 'fraudster' callelly could get an award yet!

Salt o de earth according to Joe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Pat Kenny loses all broadcasting integrity if he doesn't cover the Gemma o Doherty case today!

Will he break the Denis o Brien blackout of the story?

Didn't hear anything on NT yesterday about it, either in their news bulletins or programmes. Can't find anything on their website either.

Also wasn't in the news service they provide to local stations.

Sean O'Rourke covered it as breaking news yesterday.

She had claimed she was chosen for redundancy after she called to the home of former Garda commissioner Martin Callinan as part of her investigation into the wiping of his penalty points.

Seems like a major enough deal to me.

Bizarre that NT aren't covering it considering the Irish Independent reported on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

More Music wrote: »
    Didn't hear anything on NT yesterday about it, either in their news bulletins or programmes. Can't find anything on their website either.

She had claimed she was chosen for redundancy after she called to the home of former Garda commissioner Martin Callinan as part of her investigation into the wiping of his penalty points.

Bizarre that NT aren't covering it considering the Irish Independent reported on it.

Probably orders from on high by II Duce O'Brien. Radio is a more powerful medium. He wouldn't want it to make the national airwaves. It's laughable really, because the likes of Healy et al like to think of themselves as crusading journalists, but at the end of the day, they care more about who pays their wages than reporting the truth.

More Music wrote: »

I believe it was part of the settlement that it was mentioned in the paper.

I have asked Matt cooper, jonathon Healy and political editor Gavin Reilly on twitter and none of them would comment.

Gavin Reilly said he was on holidays and hadn't heard anything about. And he only covers the political side of things.

The wiping of penalty points for Independent editor Steven rae, the sacking of a reporter because she questioned the Garda commissioner on the matter, sounds political to me!

How is Denis o Brien allowed to continue in he's quest to buy as much of the national media as he can?

There is obviously a I scratch your back, you scratch mine going on between the Guards and INM.

Are they wiping penalty points in return for an favorable treatment from INM?

• Advertisement

Probably orders from on high by II Duce O'Brien. Radio is a more powerful medium. He wouldn't want it to make the national airwaves. It's laughable really, because the likes of Healy et al like to think of themselves as crusading journalists, but at the end of the day, they care more about who pays their wages than reporting the truth.

I asked Healy what's more important, your journalistic integrity in covering this story or the Denis o Brien dollar?

He made no mention of the story!

Pat Kenny loses all broadcasting integrity if he doesn't cover the Gemma o Doherty case today!

Will he break the Denis o Brien blackout of the story?

Does anyone remember when Newstalk started and they had the ads running for the station saying "Newstalk, no State run spin".

Ya they got that right, its Denis o Brien run spin!

What an embarassement of an organization Communicorp is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Does anyone remember when Newstalk started and they had the ads running for the station saying "Newstalk, no State run spin".

Ya they got that right, its Denis o Brien run spin!

What an embarassement of an organization Communicorp is!

O'Brien is the Rupert Murdoch of Irish media. He obviously realised early on that if you control the media, you can control "the truth". For such a hot-shot "successful" businessman, the fact that he's prepared to allow Newstalk to run at a loss tells us all we need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Fergus Finlay was on Pat's show earlier commenting on Lucinda Creighton's new project.

One of the topics in her Press Conference was about how Self Employed people on low wages pay far more Tax/USC/PRSI than their PAYE counterparts (which has been quite widely publicised).

Mr Finlay response to this was "well, there aren't many Self Employed people on €18,000 a year". Nothing to back it up, just a throwaway "let them eat cake" comment. He is as bad as Joe Duffy, who also thinks everyone is either worrying about collecting rent on heir multiple properties, or collecting Social Welfare every week. The low paid mean nothing to him.

I'm not convinced by Lucinda Creighton, but if Fergus Finlay ever runs for office he won't be getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Skid X wrote: »
    Fergus Finlay was on Pat's show earlier commenting on Lucinda Creighton's new project.

One of the topics in her Press Conference was about how Self Employed people on low wages pay far more Tax/USC/PRSI than their PAYE counterparts (which has been quite widely publicised).

Mr Finlay response to this was "well, there aren't many Self Employed people on €18,000 a year". Nothing to back it up, just a throwaway "let them eat cake" comment. He is as bad as Joe Duffy, who also thinks everyone is either worrying about collecting rent on heir multiple properties, or collecting Social Welfare every week. The low paid mean nothing to him.

I'm not convinced by Lucinda Creighton, but if Fergus Finlay ever runs for office he won't be getting my vote.

I think his point is that the self employed & farmers have many ways of making it LOOK like they are on 18,000

Callan57 wrote: »
    I think his point is that the self employed & farmers have many ways of making it LOOK like they are on 18,000

To be honest, I thought he meant that all Self Employed people are doing alright and can afford to pay more tax.

Skid X wrote: »

I thought all of Newstalk's coverage of Lucinda's announcement was extremely unfair... They lined up every politician and scholar they could to take shots at Lucinda.. All hurlers on the ditch who have contributed nothing to society themselves, interested only in lining their own pockets, queuing up with the wet sponges.. ...

That Fergus Finlay really turns my stomach... I'm not sure if Lucinda will succeed in what she is trying to do, but at least she IS trying, and not just creaming off 100k from a children's charity... Him, an ex spin doctor, who really didnt seem to have a problem with the way politics was run when it was filling his pockets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Alan Shatter's election campaign and image revival has just begun.

Hanafin was on a break in Paris.. I suppose she has to do something with that 140k a year that she gets for making a mess of the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Hanafin was on a break in Paris.. I suppose she has to do something with that 140k a year that she gets for making a mess of the country...

I suppose it's hard to get the Charvet shirts in Dublin these days, since Charlie departed..

• Advertisement

Even the way that Liam Doran says the word "Services" annoys me...

Is he sure that it wasnt the Palestinians.. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Rhona Mahoney on complaining about lack of funding in her hospital. I might take that a bit more seriously if she first took a 50% pay cut (she would still be on over 100K a year) and hired 3 or 4 Nurses. The problem with the health service isn't funding. It's the massive amount of money that is wasted on management and support staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

touts wrote: »
    Rhona Mahoney on complaining about lack of funding in her hospital. I might take that a bit more seriously if she first took a 50% pay cut (she would still be on over 100K a year) and hired 3 or 4 Nurses. The problem with the health service isn't funding. It's the massive amount of money that is wasted on management and support staff.

I don't think Dr Mahoney would consider herself an overpaid manager or member of support staff. How very dare you. She's a grossly overpaid medic, if you please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Is this a VERY long ad for Grant Thornton?

Hmm.. is Pat conveniently ignoring the question of whether the Irish media should be reproducing the Charlie Hebdo cartoons??????

BarryD wrote: »
    Hmm.. is Pat conveniently ignoring the question of whether the Irish media should be reproducing the Charlie Hebdo cartoons??????

This is Pat Kenny, who was too cowardly to mention the Gemma O Doherty case because Denis o Brien is now paying hes pension, and ordered a blackout!

The hypocrisy of Newstalk even talking about this subject is sickening.

I wonder do the Newstalk "journalists" feel any embarassement or shame when they talk about the French story?

This is Pat Kenny, who was too cowardly to mention the Gemma O Doherty case because Denis o Brien is now paying hes pension, and ordered a blackout!

The hypocrisy of Newstalk even talking about this subject is sickening.

I wonder do the Newstalk "journalists" feel any embarassement or shame when they talk about the French story?

It was covered on their News programme afterwards but the interview with the editor of the IT was fairly soft..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pat doing a good job at exposing Mary Lous economic ignorance this morning. The less she knows about something, the more she blusters on, it's an obvious tell with her.

• Advertisement

Enda Kenny being interviewed now. I hope PK is in attack mode.

Advertisement