Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

neris wrote: »
    John lonergan is some bloody idiot. The poor prisoners not getting to hug their baby but its ok if drugs are been smuggled on the baby. This guy is probably part of the reason people have no problem reoffending knowing that prisions going to be a cake walk coz of his legacy

... and he always conveniently ignores the fact that they are in prison by virtue of their own actions & like the rest of us they have free will. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭serfboard

Callan57 wrote: »
    ... and he always conveniently ignores the fact that they are in prison by virtue of their own actions & like the rest of us they have free will. :mad:
    And this "free will" is in no way influenced by their backgrounds and whether or not they suffered deprivation?

"Free" will is a lot less free than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

serfboard wrote: »
    And this "free will" is in no way influenced by their backgrounds and whether or not they suffered deprivation?

"Free" will is a lot less free than you think.

Ah yet another apologist - sure isn't it always someone elses fault :mad:
    I wasn't brought up with a silver spoon but I don't go around making my neighbours lives a misery and acting as if the world owes me.

I wasn't brought up with a silver spoon
    Neither was I
    I don't go around making my neighbours lives a misery and acting as if the world owes me.
    Neither do I.

But neither was I (or I suspect you) brought up in an environment where my parents abused me or neglected me, or were alcholics or drug addicts, and so I don't know how I would feel (or how I would behave) if I did. And I don't think you do either.

I posted earlier that I was surprised that Pat was shocked that one of his guests (who ended up in prison) left school without being able to read or write. John Lonergan was also on the programme and said that 50-60% of prisoners in Mountjoy were either illiterate or semi-literate. Now, how do you think that happened?

I don't condone anti-social behaviour or criminality. But, a ounce of prevention is better than a ton of cure and every euro we cut back on prevention (AKA social workers, care orders) we end up, as a society, having to pay back one hundred fold in terms of social cost - lives wrecked and wasted - as well as the financial cost of incarceration.

If you think none of that is valid, and people from stable family backgrounds set out to be bad just for the hell of it, well I think we'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

These GPs are not presenting their case very well. All they are saying is 'we need more money' but have no idea how they are going to improve the service.
    Pat is calling their bluff!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 no_car

you have to hand it to the GP sector , not only have they managed to sail through the recession without dropping their fees by a penny

they appear to have gotten together and decided to embark on a very slick propoganda campaign as they sense their closed shop racket may be under threat

GP,s are a sheltered sector of the economy , their is a cap on the numbers which can practice so theese doctors whinging about their not being enough doctors rings a little hollow , they themselves support a regulated sector which keeps numbers low in order to keep a floor under fees , as for their blather about the cost of running a business , paying staff , paying rates , paying ESB , do mechanics , hairdressers , hardware store ( none of those are sheltered from competition ) not have those very same expenses

anyone who has lived in australia knows that GP,s over there often have xray equipment in their clinics ( and other equipment ) which of course takes the pressure off hospitals as many tests can take place at local level , in ireland a GP seems to only require s stethescope and a half a dozen magazines in the waiting room

i suspect the social conscience - " wont someone think of the inner city deprivation " rhetoric is just a ploy to try and get the public on side

at the end of the day GP,s in ireland are the highest paid in the eurozone and seem determined to keep it that way

spare us the spurious sob storys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

no_car wrote: »
    you have to hand it to the GP sector , not only have they managed to sail through the recession without dropping their fees by a penny

GMS fees have fallen hugely, and most private fees have been dropped too.
    GP,s are a sheltered sector of the economy , their is a cap on the numbers which can practice

No, there isn't.
    y
    at the end of the day GP,s in ireland are the highest paid in the eurozone and seem determined to keep it that way

Source? Or are you just repeating more inaccurate hearsay like you did previously?

L1011 wrote: »
    GMS fees have fallen hugely, and most private fees have been dropped too.

No, there isn't.

Source? Or are you just repeating more inaccurate hearsay like you did previously?

GP consultation fees have not dropped and as someone with a long term illness , ive visited half a dozen different GP,s since 2007 spread over fifty visits

GP consultation fees have not dropped and as someone with a long term illness , ive visited half a dozen different GP,s since 2007 spread over fifty visits

Your GPs haven't dropped their fees - or, if you've gone to that many, you don't actually know if they have as you haven't gone back to the same GPs.

Local to me every single one of them has, and there's now two surgeries offering €30 consultations.

L1011 wrote: »
    Your GPs haven't dropped their fees - or, if you've gone to that many, you don't actually know if they have as you haven't gone back to the same GPs.

Local to me every single one of them has, and there's now two surgeries offering €30 consultations.

30 euro is not within the realms of average GP charges , way to go picking an extreme outlier example

the average is fifty euro across the entire country and higher in dublin

• Advertisement

L1011 obviously has a vested interest here

ive no problem with anyone making money but GP,s opperate in a sheltered sector of the economy , as do pharmacists , dentists , solicitors ( though legal fees did take quite a drop during the recession and ive witnessed it first hand )

they seem happy to drive on the move to primary care but first they want to ensure it doesnt impinge on their own earnings , primary care will of course require significant investment by GP,s as they spend damn all in thier clinics in this country , you need to go to hospital for the slightest little thing , checking blood pressure is about as advanced as it gets at local level

Seeing vested interests when your inaccurate beliefs are challenged is common, but inaccurate here.

If you can find me five surgeries in Dublin charging more than 50 I'd be astounded.

Both GP and pharmacy sector are open to any qualified people, zero shelters. This isn't the 1990s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Just because this reporter chap is trying to portray the O'Donnell's as just "doing what everybody else was doing", doesnt mean that the whole lot of them werent greedy bast*rds...

Edit: he's a lawyer, now I understand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What are those Land League clowns doing in the middle of this? Davitt must be turning in his grave :rolleyes:

What are those Land League clowns doing in the middle of this? Davitt must be turning in his grave :rolleyes:

You're just about to find out Harry... Pat Kenny must be listening in on you.. ;)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Harry = Pat Kenny

eh... Nice to meet you "harry"... I'm sorry for all the things I said about you in the past, please dont come and take possession of my back lawn..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What are those Land League clowns doing in the middle of this?

The answer is in your question, they're just a bunch of clowns.

It's breathtaking that they think O'Donnell needs their help when he was legal council to some of the biggest companies and organisations operating in the country. They know the law better than him ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Isn't this clown jerry beades, Bertie the crook aherns best friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yes, one of the Drumcondra Mafia ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Harry = Pat Kenny

eh... Nice to meet you "harry"... I'm sorry for all the things I said about you in the past, please dont come and take possession of my back lawn..

file-pics-pat-kenny-leaves-rte-for-newstalk-390x285.jpg

• Advertisement

yeah those Catholics were always refusing protestants jobs up the North, after the generous Queen offered them the opportunity to die for her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

......... please dont come and take possession of my back lawn..

I nearly choked on my toasted hambo yesterday morning when I heard the name this house currently under dispute in Killiney.

Gorse Hill.

The same name as Pat's patch under dispute up the road in Dalkey a few years ago. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Lapin wrote: »
    I nearly choked on my toasted hambo yesterday morning when I heard the name this house currently under dispute in Killiney.

Gorse Hill.

The same name as Pat's patch under dispute up the road in Dalkey a few years ago. :pac:

Haha, thought the same thing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Who ever this european games guy is a useless dope. Pat must have asked him the same question numerous times without a proper answer. He still hasnt given a list of the sports involved

Pat talks about freedom of the press and your man starts going on about how hes no problems with the mobile service and coverage in azerbijan

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

neris wrote: »
    Who ever this european games guy is a useless dope. Pat must have asked him the same question numerous times without a proper answer. He still hasnt given a list of the sports involved

Pat talks about freedom of the press and your man starts going on about how hes no problems with the mobile service and coverage in azerbijan

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

He really should be kept away from microphones alright, Pat set up very simple straightforward questions and he seemed to answer a different question every time, very strange....

He really should be kept away from microphones alright, Pat set up very simple straightforward questions and he seemed to answer a different question every time, very strange....
    Not strange at all. Your man comes in with prepared talking points and is going to say them irrespective of what question he is asked.

serfboard wrote: »
    Not strange at all. Your man comes in with prepared talking points and is going to say them irrespective of what question he is asked.

Probably true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

listening to that letter from the sister of a man who commited suicide cos his ****ing b'itch c'unt c'unt c'unt wife turned his kids against him and refused him access.

Terrible time to be a man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It was indeed a very sad letter. Among the many lessons to be learnt from it, chief among them in my opinion is, always get proof of any payments you make to someone.

Whether it's a visible paper trail as it transfers from one account to another or through a trusted third party in the case of cash payments.

The events that led to that poor man taking his own life ultimately came down to her word against his due to a lack of payment records.

The bitch has blood on her hands. I hope she lies awake at night with that thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Good god - this over entitled whinger is getting airtime...???

Advertisement