Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Had to switch to Lyric for a bit of peace. (Cheltenham on SO'R now, I'm sick of it already and it hasn't even started yet)

I reached my fill of it at ten to 9 this morning during the Breakfast Shows preview.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Jesus Christ Pat - A a Dawn French moment with Shane Lowry there. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Christ that walker fella is exhausting to listen to.

He's like John Lonergan on speed :eek:

Had to switch to Lyric for a bit of peace. (Cheltenham on SO'R now, I'm sick of it already and it hasn't even started yet)

makes 2 of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Christ that song rattles my brain :mad:

Why does he have to play so much of it?

How naive is this guy to not know the background to those people in the Israeli embassy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How naive is this guy to not know the background to those people in the Israeli embassy?

VERY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Mary Lou and Pat having a right ol barney

Newstalk gone way OTT about George Hook leading the parade below in Cork.

Give it a rest lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭emo72

He stumped the insurance regulator this morning. Great radio. A couple of seconds radio silence, I'm sure the regulator won't forget this for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

emo72 wrote: »
    A couple of seconds radio silence
    Was Terrance Flanagan on again? ;)

• Advertisement

He stumped the insurance regulator this morning. Great radio. A couple of seconds radio silence, I'm sure the regulator won't forget this for a long time.

That was Pat Kenny at his absolute best this morning.

He completely stumped the so called regulator and exposed a gaping anomaly that the regulator is being paid to regulate.

In the space of two minutes he uncovered the cosy relationship between the insurance companies and the regulator and the wholly unfair situation whereby those who have been covered for years are suddenly back to square one upon the death of a spouse.

Probably the finest piece of radio journalism you'll be likely to hear this year and confirms Kenny's reputation as the leading current affairs broadcaster in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Lapin wrote: »
    That was Pat Kenny at his absolute best this morning.

He completely stumped the so called regulator and exposed a gaping anomaly that the regulator is being paid to regulate.

In the space of two minutes he uncovered the cosy relationship between the insurance companies and the regulator and the wholly unfair situation whereby those who have been covered for years are suddenly back to square one upon the death of a spouse.

Probably the finest piece of radio journalism you'll be likely to hear this year and confirms Kenny's reputation as the leading current affairs broadcaster in the country.

Agreed - incredible piece of radio. I'm sure Pat couldn't believe his luck.

Ha, I thought my stream had dropped just then. Eh, I'll get back to you in writing Pat. Jesus, you would have thought that would be something he'd be absolutely clear in given how many people operate their policies like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What the feck? Do your rehearsal before you go on air!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

What the feck? Do your rehearsal before you go on air!

Yeah, the guy was all so cool and chilled, the mask quick slipped when he started singing, did he not realise it was live radio!

Dick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Who was that?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Who was that?

A son of someone involved with the Quiet Man soundtrack.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Who was that?

Paul Harrington, total amateur

Reverting to Wednesday's show I was wondering about HIA CEO Don Gallagher, what is his salary? Anyone have an inkling?

He's a leader in the mould of Pat Neary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

my friend wrote: »
    Reverting to Wednesday's show I was wondering about HIA CEO Don Gallagher, what is his salary? Anyone have an inkling?

He's a leader in the mould of Pat Neary.

Newstalk are notably heavy on promoting private health insurance. Anybody know why?

Don't know how many times I've heard Dermot Good (sp?) selling his wares.

I'd like to hear some real incisive debates on this business and in particular the changes coming in. I for one, don't buy this idea that people should necessarily be taken by this 'get in cheap on a basic policy'. One thing that is clear about the private health insurance industry, is that once they have you in, it's hard to leave without losing the value of all your contributions. So essentially they are free to hike up rates and be reasonably certain that people will just grit their teeth and pay up.

• Advertisement

Private health insurance doesn't work on a contribution basis, you don't lose contributions if you move around companies. Your cover is based on the policy type you're currently paying for, nothing to do with any previous policies.

And many commentators are saying it's not worth getting in cheap as you're paying for little cover, best to go with a reasonably decent one.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Private health insurance doesn't work on a contribution basis, you don't lose contributions if you move around companies. Your cover is based on the policy type you're currently paying for, nothing to do with any previous policies.

And many commentators are saying it's not worth getting in cheap as you're paying for little cover, best to go with a reasonably decent one.

The model is all wrong - private health insurance is often marketed on a similar basis to say, pension schemes (pay in when you're young and you'll benefit when you're old etc). This is 'deceitful', as private health insurance operates more like motor or house insurance, with the added proviso that if you lapse in your payments, you stand to lose a lot.

If people pay into a pension scheme, they accumulate a benefit over a long period. If they skip payments in some years if funds don't allow for it, they don't lose the benefit of previous savings.

This is how private health insurance should be run - the way it's currently structured is highly objectionable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

BarryD wrote: »
    Newstalk are notably heavy on promoting private health insurance. Anybody know why?

Don't know how many times I've heard Dermot Good (sp?) selling his wares.

I'd like to hear some real incisive debates on ethis business and in particular the changes coming in. I for one, don't buy this idea that people should necessarily be taken by this 'get in cheap on a basic policy'. One thing that is clear about the private health insurance industry, is that once they have you in, it's hard to leave without losing the value of all your contributions. So essentially they are free to hike up rates and be reasonably certain that people will just grit their teeth and pay up.

Doesn't news talk owner Denis o Brien also own the Beacon private hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

BarryD wrote: »

Yep Dennis owns the Beacon Hospital. Bought it a few months back

Doesn't news talk owner Denis o Brien also own the Beacon private hospital?

And there's the health insurance advertising backing up the programme..

I don't know about you but it's tendency to advertorial slant of the show content that turns me off.

This is not public service broadcasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Newstalk is owned by a private company - within the rules of the BAI they can do as they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Newstalk is owned by a private company - within the rules of the BAI they can do as they see fit.

Nobody said they can't but neither is there anything wrong with listeners being made aware of possible (likely) bias or station agendas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Jeremy Clarkson's 'frack-aaaa'!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Callan57 wrote: »
    Nobody said they can't but neither is there anything wrong with listeners being made aware of possible (likely) bias or station agendas

Or the fact that you could be talking out of your rear end..........(likely)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Or the fact that you could be talking out of your rear end..........(likely)

Quite possibly but then I wouldn't be alone in that now would I?

Advertisement