Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I think you are deliberately continuing this for the sake of argument and out of spite!!
    Why on earth would it be "spite"? I don't know you from Adam. I think the concept you're looking for is "a wish to achieve at least a rudimentary level of factual evidence."
    Now, downing another's opinion and calling it 'ridiculous' is certainly fascism and insulting.
    Still waiting for that shorter and shorter list of things that definitely aren't fascism. As I said, seems to be pretty much "anything you don't like". No actual argument required.
    I have never called others' opinions 'ridiculous' and have argued my point here without getting personal.
    So, "that's a ridiculous thing to claim" is "getting personal", whereas "that's fascism!" is all good? Methinks you haven't quite thought that through, either.
    But it could well become the start of a more repressive system if adopted by a government. People laugh it off as 'nanny state' but repression is repression.
    And the things you're complaining about are very plainly not repression at all. The idea that a) there could be repressive means to server the same general ends, and that b) an extreme form of such repression might amount to, or lead to fascism (sensu ... how the rest of the planet uses the word), is just one non sequitur laid end-to-end with another.
    As regards the quote from the Koran: it all depends on how one interprets it.
    I quoted the Qur'an because your precise claim was Islam's "teachings". For interpretation... well, as you're so well-versed in Islam, you'll already know how it's interpreted. Or are you going to now tell me 1.5bn Muslims are wrong about that interpretation, and you're right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Why on earth would it be "spite"? I don't know you from Adam. I think the concept you're looking for is "a wish to achieve at least a rudimentary level of factual evidence."

Still waiting for that shorter and shorter list of things that definitely aren't fascism. As I said, seems to be pretty much "anything you don't like". No actual argument required.

So, "that's a ridiculous thing to claim" is "getting personal", whereas "that's fascism!" is all good? Methinks you haven't quite thought that through, either.

And the things you're complaining about are very plainly not repression at all. The idea that a) there could be repressive means to server the same general ends, and that b) an extreme form of such repression might amount to, or lead to fascism (sensu ... how the rest of the planet uses the word), is just one non sequitur laid end-to-end with another.

I quoted the Qur'an because your precise claim was Islam's "teachings". For interpretation... well, as you're so well-versed in Islam, you'll already know how it's interpreted. Or are you going to now tell me 1.5bn Muslims are wrong about that interpretation, and you're right?

My argument states that there are agendas and there is a lot of stuff being fired at us in the name of health. I and many others can see that a lot of this is hyperbole and the use of terms like 'obese' and 'binge' are being reinvented.

As regards the world's 1.5bn Muslims: you will find that there is NO one generic form of Islam no more than there is one form of Christianity. Like Christianity, Islam is divided up into sects like Sunni, Shia, Alawite, etc. And even within each of this, there are different strands. Muslims in Albania, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Malaysia are ALL very different to each other. Muslims in sub Saharan Africa mix Islamic teaching with traditional beliefs. Even countries that consider themselves 'Islamic Republics' or 'Islamic States' have very differing interpretations of Sharia law. Some much more tolerant than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

My argument states that there are agendas and there is a lot of stuff being fired at us in the name of health. I and many others can see that a lot of this is hyperbole and the use of terms like 'obese' and 'binge' are being reinvented.
    That I actually agree with. It's your own, far worse, hyperbole I have to take exception to.

Essentially "binge" is being used to mean "drinking enough to become mildly intoxicated". It's something of a termjack. But that's a thing that happens, let's face it. Will everyone drinking three pints be even that? No, but then again, those that won't are almost certainly breaching the weekly guidelines, hence their higher tolerance.

Are either of these things bad for you? Probably; there does seem to be some epidemiological evidence for it. At the bottom end it's plainly not at all comparable to those of chronic, extreme excess usage.

Besides, let's face it, turning on the evening news these is almost certainly bad for you. (I don't just mean because of Sharon's hairdos and jackets, either.)
    As regards the world's 1.5bn Muslims: you will find that there is NO one generic form of Islam no more than there is one form of Christianity.
    Entirely off-point, as I didn't claim there was. Just that 1.5bn Muslims will tell you your interpretation of the Qur'an on alcohol is entirely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

alaimacerc wrote: »
    That I actually agree with. It's your own, far worse, hyperbole I have to take exception to.

Essentially "binge" is being used to mean "drinking enough to become mildly intoxicated". It's something of a termjack. But that's a thing that happens, let's face it. Will everyone drinking three pints be even that? No, but then again, those that won't are almost certainly breaching the weekly guidelines, hence their higher tolerance.

Are either of these things bad for you? Probably; there does seem to be some epidemiological evidence for it. At the bottom end it's plainly not at all comparable to those of chronic, extreme excess usage.

Besides, let's face it, turning on the evening news these is almost certainly bad for you. (I don't just mean because of Sharon's hairdos and jackets, either.)

Entirely off-point, as I didn't claim there was. Just that 1.5bn Muslims will tell you your interpretation of the Qur'an on alcohol is entirely wrong.

We agree on the term 'binge'. The old saying 'just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you' comes to play with regard to myself and any agendas I see. 'Fascist' may or may not be too harsh a word but I am calling a spade a spade and recognising these things for what they are before it is too late. Some 20 years ago, there was not much talk about binge drinking being three pints in one sitting, or there was not much talk about units of alcohol, or about obesity. Exaggerated? History will decide. But I do think that the NEXT form of fascism could well be the healthocracy. With regard to a 100% fascist healthocratic dictatorship emerging in Ireland, I do think thankfully it is very very remote. But elements of such an ideology are finding their way into mainstream media and perhaps politics.

Just to take note of how things changed, look at the fags. 30 years ago, smoking was done everywhere and some 40-50 years ago, was considered cool. Now, we are taught to think that fags, cigars and pipes are all bad and antisocial. I take and enjoy a drink (I don't smoke) and believe I have a right to enjoy it.

What the Koran says is all about not letting drink block your success or cause hurt. I know plenty Albanian, Iranian and Indian Muslims who do drink alcohol and who consider themselves religious. I know Afghan, Arab and Pakistani Muslims who consider alcohol the 'liquid of the devil'. Ayatollah Khomeini was fond of wine in France when he got depressed after his son died. His later views on alcohol were rather a personal reinterpretation of his own depressive mind. Note how he did not ENTIRELY ban booze in Iran! I even know a song called 'Whiskey is the devil in liquid form' and that was written and sung by an alcoholic Christian! So, who is right!?!?! With regard to regimes like Saudi Arabia banning alcohol outright, that is a law of a state and derived from one particular interpretation of the Koran. I'm sure, the Pahlavi Shahs of Iran had an entirely different teaching! Again, who has the right or wrong interpretation? The Koran is simply a book with advice and a lot of things that are vague enough. Down the years, it has been interpreted in various different ways. The same with the Bible and the Torah and all other religious books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Healy in for the week by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Time to fire some teargas into Gorsehill to clear the bastards out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

touts wrote: »
    Time to fire some teargas into Gorsehill to clear the bastards out.

If 'labels' o'donnell is handing in the keys at the BOI AGM what's Bertie's buddie beades doing in Gorse Hill?

Also, can someone from Revenue ask Jerry Beades why he hasn't paid VRT and duties on the Jaguar he's driving ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Who's this homophobic prick Pat's talking to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

my friend wrote: »
    o'donnell is handing in the keys at the BOI AGM

When the drama queen handed the keys over, I was wishing Boucher said "have you the outstanding 700mill in the other pocket?!!"

the_monkey wrote: »

Don't you know you can't call them homophobic. You're infringing their basic human rights...... :rolleyes:

Just call him a prick....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

When the drama queen handed the keys over, I was wishing Boucher said "have you the outstanding 700mill in the other pocket?!!"

As if that prima donna move impresses anyone .... you'd think after 80+ court case, all of which he'd lost, the proverbial penny would drop. But no, arrogance rules :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Just at the end of the show some nutter texted in to say that "a marriage between two men can't be consummated because they can't have sex!" :D

Pat said he'd explain it all to her on tomorrow's show :pac:

catallus wrote: »
    Just at the end of the show some nutter texted in to say that "a marriage between two men can't be consummated because they can't have sex!" :D

Pat said he'd explain it all to her on tomorrow's show :pac:

One way to increase the listnership figures :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

the_monkey wrote: »
    Does being opposed to Gay marriage make you a homophobe?

Anyway, the guy's name is FF Senator Jim Walsh.

Thought he came across as far less strident than the Iona types - however, he kept referring to "Married, biological parents".

If this is your logic for not allowing Gay marriage, then adoption should be banned and women should have their tubes tied until they get married. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

catallus wrote: »
    Just at the end of the show some nutter texted in to say that "Pat said he'd explain it all to her on tomorrow's show :pac:

For real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

4real yo, it's right at the very end of today's show on the playback :)

Loony on the radio!

OMG a real bible thumper, there is such a whacky fringe in Norn Irons Protestant population.

If the Bible predicted this than why are you trying to stop it?

If the Bible predicted this than why are you trying to stop it?

Sure if the bible predicted no point trying to stop it is there? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Loony on the radio!

OMG a real bible thumper, there is such a whacky fringe in Norn Irons Protestant population.

An election candidate who wants rock music banned, gay people jailed and feminism abolished has rejected claims she is extreme.
    Susan Anne White, who caused a stir when she stood in last year's council elections, is now aiming to become MP for West Tyrone.
    The devout Christian says her campaign will focus on moral issues including society's "dangerous" homosexual agenda.
    She also wants to outlaw rock music, saying it fuels sexual anarchy and drug use.
    Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph, Mrs White, who is standing as an Independent, denied that her views were extreme.
    "I don't consider myself extreme - not at all," she said. "It is society that has moved. Not so far in the past, most people would have shared my views.
    "My views only seem extreme because society has moved away from God's principles."
    Mrs White, who is from Trillick in Co Tyrone, is one of nine candidates standing in West Tyrone on May 7.
    The outgoing Sinn Fein MP, Pat Doherty, has a comfortable 10,000-plus majority. Last May, Mrs White stood for the new Fermanagh and Omagh Council, receiving just 67 first preference votes.
    Mrs White said she opposes feminism "with all her might", and says it is to blame for the recession.
    "Feminism is responsible for many of the social ills we see all around us," she added.
    "They [feminists] are responsible for the economy - they destroyed the whole concept of a family wage with the father as the bread-winner and the stay-at-home mother. They make women feel they have to be out in the workforce."
    Mrs White is also "absolutely opposed to the homosexual agenda" in today's society. If I had the power, I would certainly re-criminalise homosexuality, along with adultery," she added.
    She said anyone involved in homosexual or adulterous practices should be jailed.
    "I would stop the funding of gay pride parades and other depraved art and cultural events," she added.
    Despite her strong views, Mrs White claims she is a "true friend" to the gay community.
    "I tell them the truth," she added. "The person who is not a friend, the person who is the enemy to the homosexual is the person who pats them on the back and says their lifestyle is perfectly normal and acceptable."

She's beyond satire. Until recently, I had no idea that we had religious lunatics (creationists included) sharing this island. These people are the christian version of the Taliban.

Pat Kenny just asked her questions and probably didn't feel the need to challenge her on her insane ideas. The more she spoke, the deeper her she was digging her own hole.

Kenny should have asked her about her plans for the 'end times' or 'rapture'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Hi
    What was the title and author's name of the novel reviewed today? A crime thriller set in Morocco. (Listen again not working for me)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Hi
    What was the title and author's name of the novel reviewed today? A crime thriller set in Morocco. (Listen again not working for me)
    Thanks

The Heat of Betrayal by Douglas Kennedy was mentioned on the show.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/douglas-kennedy-heat-betrayal-its-adventure-story-that-turns-into-nightmare-1499184

Any chance it was this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

chinwag wrote: »
    The Heat of Betrayal by Douglas Kennedy was mentioned on the show.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/douglas-kennedy-heat-betrayal-its-adventure-story-that-turns-into-nightmare-1499184

Any chance it was this?

That's it. Thanks. I misheard the titile as "The heat of the trail"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Loony on the radio!

Well yeh, there was a lad by the name of paisley was a fairly strong proponent of that type of religious fundamentalmism, you might recall. Save Ulster from Sodomy was one of his campaigns in the present regard.

Brian O'Donnell and Gerry Beads on the show talking about Gorsehill.

Anyone know where I can get blood pressure medication over the counter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

My heart is bleeding here. Poor brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

He's some neck doesn't he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Mycroft H wrote: »
    He's some neck doesn't he.

If the bank could get it and sell it for scrap they might get alot of money back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hope he doesn't choke on one of those marbles in his gob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

He is one of the ENTITLED

Advertisement