Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Can believe nobody has commented on the segment on today with Natasha Fennell about confidence. Throughout the interview she kept referring to the fact that "confidence comes from knowing that you have the compUtence to do something". At first I thought she stumbled over her words, but many times she continued to use the word compUtence instead of competence. Pat didnt pick her up on it during the interview, presumably (I thought) cos it would have been just embarrassing for everyone.

However, after she had left, he read out a number of texts referring to her mistake and pointing out the irony of somebody who gives talking in confidence/competence who cant pronounce the word competence. In response, Pat passed it off by saying "I know a number of people who pronounce the word 'specific' as 'pacific', so maybe it's just one of those things". Shocking that the first time that Natasha Fennell finds out about this mispronunciation is on live radio.

Yeah, I heard that and was thinking the same. I came to the conclusion that Ms Fennel was nothing more than a chancer who has learned off a few cliches and buzz-words and is making a living out of it. She kept contradicting herself whenever Pat raised a point about what she had just said previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Does this not all boil down to the fact that she went with the absolute lowest quote and did not verify that the guy was any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Does this not all boil down to the fact that she went with the absolute lowest quote and did not verify that the guy was any good.

It does, but it's a good story, what a professional !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Story with a happy ending, which makes a pleasant change! And she has her dog to thank for it!! :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Wow... that was some segment Pat Kenny just had on the woman who lost her son to an uninsured driver out on bail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Wow... that was some segment Pat Kenny just had on the woman who lost her son to an uninsured driver out on bail.

Heartbreaking...
    Our justice system is a joke .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The Gardai are great at catching 'the fish in a barrel' for speeding offences. When it comes to real policing of genuinely dangerous people on the roads, they are pathetic.

Yep, utterly heartbreaking, every parents nightmare.

Made even worse by the fact that he should have been long off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The Gardai are great at catching 'the fish in a barrel' for speeding offences. When it comes to real policing of genuinely dangerous people on the roads, they are pathetic.

Just wait till you light up at a traffic light junction with a child in the back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just wait till you light up at a traffic light junction with a child in the back!

Anyone who does that need a punch to the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Anyone who does that need a punch to the face.

:eek:

He's back!!!!!

I never left, I'm always vigilant for self righteous stupidity.

Some people are so stupid and selfish to do so that a new law is required to have them think twice, where's the harm in that?

There's isn't any valid arguments against this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

must be a record for boards.
    It only took 8 posts for a topic to be dragged off topic ...all because of some attention seeking muppett.

Ah Harrys alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

jharr100 wrote: »
    Heartbreaking...
    Our justice system is a joke .

Yeah listened to some of this seems the lad's couldn'd be ar$$ed to follow basic procedure on numerous occasions.

And this young lad paid the penalty...the litany of lazyness and sloppyness is staggering.

Surely this requires a follow up public enquiry with the appropriate heads rolling.?

No ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Why does this woman keep referring to Thomas Murphy as "Slab". Is she working for the Sunday World now or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Why does this woman keep referring to Thomas Murphy as "Slab". Is she working for the Sunday World now or something?

Because nicknames are how the public know criminal gangste...... sorry "good republicans".

"Slab" "The Penguin" "The Viper" "The General" etc. These nicknames may be annoying and may almost glamorize these gangland figures but they are now established in the public consciousness by the tabloid media and the mainstream media are just reflecting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Newstalk taking legal action over report claiming Pat Kenny will be axed

(Source article)
    http://www.thejournal.ie/pat-kenny-newstalk-axe-2515846-Dec2015/

Will Pat Kenny still be working in the same programme slot at NewsTalk in 12 months time or; will they eventually both agree to part company after the dust settles following the forthcoming General Election during the Spring? If George Hook decided to retire from The Right Hook by the Autumn/Winter 2016, maybe Pat Kenny will move to a Drivetime current affairs slot instead of departing the station altogether?

Kenny was actually the first presenter of the RTÉ Radio One programme called "Today at 5" which was an early evening news & current affairs show (the show was later presented by Myles Dungan for a number of years before eventually being replaced by "Five-Seven Live" with Rachel English) Kenny hosted Today at 5 for a year or so but then later returned to his mid-morning show called "The Pat Kenny Show" which at that time started at 11:00am and immediately followed The Gay Byrne Show in the Radio One weekday schedule. Of course in those days if you were based in the Cork area and a regular listener to RTÉ Radio during the late morning and early evening meant that RTÉ Cork Local Radio programming came on but you could still retune to an alternative frequency to catch Radio One from Dublin if you wanted to get your daily news fix at that hour - this was in the days before we had any legal competition outside of RTÉ Radio & TV monopoly so; no option to tune into The Last Word on Today FM or The Right Hook on NewsTalk!

RTÉ Radio One used often provided additional programme strands at various times of the day by various means in those days such as:

RTÉ Radio One FM
    RTÉ Radio One: Medium Wave 729kHZ (in those days Atlantic 252kHZ used the LW frequency which was a joint venture between RTÉ and RTL, I think)
    RTÉ FM 3 Music (mainly classical music now largely aired on RTÉ lyric FM)
    RTÉ Cork Local Radio (aka RTÉ Cork 89FM and RTÉ Radio Cork) if you were based in the Cork area 11am-1pm, 2:45pm-6:30pm weekdays and at certain times over the weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Is PK show on tomorrow? (Christmas Eve)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Is PK show on tomorrow? (Christmas Eve)?

No, he signed off today until New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Ivan Yates said he is off until Jan 4 but I thought PK said he was on over Christmas, not sure about tomorrow tho.

chinwag wrote: »
    Ivan Yates said he is off until Jan 4 but I thought PK said he was on over Christmas, not sure about tomorrow tho.

Yep, I heard his show yesterday morning (which was Christmas Day) which is very unusual - I don't think Pat Kenny ever did his "Today with Pat Kenny" show on RTÉ Radio 1 on Christmas Day in times past!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Yep, I heard his show yesterday morning (which was Christmas Day) which is very unusual - I don't think Pat Kenny ever did his "Today with Pat Kenny" show on RTÉ Radio 1 on Christmas Day in times past!

They were pre recorded "best of" shows yesterday and today afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I see Pat has got himself a gig doing the voiceover for an add for a collection of newspapers from around 1916.

The wolf must still be close to the door in the wake of Gorse Hill and the bank shares collapse..

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I see Pat has got himself a gig doing the voiceover for an add for a collection of newspapers from around 1916.

The wolf must still be close to the door in the wake of Gorse Hill and the bank shares collapse..

I heard his voice on that TV advert for the 1916 commemorative newspaper publication. Pat Kenny must be feeling uneasy with audience ratings and is wondering if his contract at NewsTalk will exhaust or be renewed? He must be feeling insecure out in the private sector now especially after his unhappy experience at UTV Ireland and the slow ratings for The Pat Kenny Show even though he has worked just as hard if not harder at NewsTalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I heard his voice on that TV advert for the 1916 commemorative newspaper publication. Pat Kenny must be feeling uneasy with audience ratings and is wondering if his contract at NewsTalk will exhaust or be renewed?

He's only half way through a 5 year contract.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    He's only half way through a 5 year contract.

I don't think they gave him a 5 year contract. I seem to recall it was 2 or 3 years. He was 65Yrs old when he left RTÉ so; I would be amazed if NewsTalk were prepared to offer him such a long contract at his age. Most presenters are lucky to get 12 month contracts which are reviewed on an annual basis. Apparently Gay Byrne was always on 12 month contracts at RTÉ even during his peak career all those years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I don't think they gave him a 5 year contract. I seem to recall it was 2 or 3 years. He was 65Yrs old when he left RTÉ so; I would be amazed if NewsTalk were prepared to offer him such a long contract at his age. Most presenters are lucky to get 12 month contracts which are reviewed on an annual basis. Apparently Gay Byrne was always on 12 month contracts at RTÉ even during his peak career all those years ago!

From the article in your post above...
    His pay package was previously reported to be in the region of €2 million, spread out over five years.

• Advertisement

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    From the article in your post above...

I do recall the 2 million figure but I've no recollection of 5 Years - I thought it was over a shorter timeframe more like 3 years. It would be highly unusual as well given his age at the time he signed for NewsTalk.

That said, let's say it is 5 Years for argument ...I wonder if he fails to achieve a minimum audience target in listener numbers away from RTÉ Radio 1 within a certain period of time into the contract, I wonder if NewsTalk had a clause (or clauses) allowing them to part company with Pat Kenny before the end of the full period if things were not working out as planned?

Advertisement