Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    He's only half way through a 5 year contract.

I've not had much success in viewing Pat Kenny's actual salary and length of contract since joining NewsTalk 106-108 despite checking numerous links.

Although, I managed to find the below interesting piece which is well worth reading.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/whats-on-news/pat-kenny-money-newstalk-presenters-5765947

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I heard his voice on that TV advert for the 1916 commemorative newspaper publication. Pat Kenny must be feeling uneasy with audience ratings and is wondering if his contract at NewsTalk will exhaust or be renewed? He must be feeling insecure out in the private sector now especially after his unhappy experience at UTV Ireland and the slow ratings for The Pat Kenny Show even though he has worked just as hard if not harder at NewsTalk.

Careful there!
    Newstalk have threatened legal action against a tabloid newspaper for putting such speculation on the front page!

Bottom line, a broadcaster of the calibre of PK really shouldn't feel the need to compete with jobbing actors for voiceover work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

That said, let's say it is 5 Years for argument ...I wonder if he fails to achieve a minimum audience target in listener numbers away from RTÉ Radio 1 within a certain period of time into the contract, I wonder if NewsTalk had a clause (or clauses) allowing them to part company with Pat Kenny before the end of the full period if things were not working out as planned?

Despite his age, getting Pat Kenny to join was huge for Newstalk. I doubt they would have tried to put anything in the contract that would scared him off.

Getting rid of him now would make absolutely no sense. The stated target for his JNLR figures this year was 150,000. 134,000 might have been disappointing, but it's hardly a crisis. They have no one to replace and if he did go the listernership figures would quickly return to Tom Dunne-type numbers i.e 50,000. Not to mention the knock on affect it would have to the other shows numbers.

If they treated Pat in this way, they would never be able to attract a big name from RTE again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

My Members. My Members. My Members. My Members. My Members.

Not one mention of Patients.

This lad and his ilk are why the health service is crippled. Time to ban trade unions in the public service and force lads like this union leader to earn an honest living.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

no the 5 year thing is bang on.

i remember the song and dance pat made about how thanks to his investments during the boom he's stone broke and cant afford to retire.

s'what ya get when ya sink a million quid into an appartment in a plush hotel that gets NAMA'd i suppose.

and thats just one of his investments.

mental when ya think about it. if i had a million quid now i could afford to quit the job and pay meself 26k a year for the next 38yrs !

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

no the 5 year thing is bang on.

i remember the song and dance pat made about how thanks to his investments during the boom he's stone broke and cant afford to retire.

s'what ya get when ya sink a million quid into an appartment in a plush hotel that gets NAMA'd i suppose.

and thats just one of his investments.

mental when ya think about it. if i had a million quid now i could afford to quit the job and pay meself 26k a year for the next 38yrs !

:D

Are you including the accrued interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

That tech slot was some dross. Have we really become so lazy that running into a shop for milk is now the job of the fridge to look after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

neris wrote: »
    That tech slot was some dross. Have we really become so lazy that running into a shop for milk is now the job of the fridge to look after

Spend €15k+ on a fridge so you can avoid spending €1.50 on a carton of milk today when you really won't need it until tomorrow. Every Newstalk show has been talking about these fridges all week. I assume Denis O'Brien must have invested in the company that makes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You can't really blame them to be fair, news talk used to have decent tech slots but I think it went over the head of the average listener.

Now the tech slots are dumbed down and more novelty than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

That debating lark this morning was a bit of a sham really.Most of the speakers were disorganised, or stumbled over their words, some had no water either,but Pat losing it with the lad who had a go at newstalk (twice) was the highlight for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

David Drumm's brother Ken is on with Pat Kenny this morning? Did I hear that right. No doubt a charm offensive on his behalf, trying to soften up the ground before the yanks finally throw him out and he lands back here.

Drumm has a mistrust of the Irish Government!!!! Do you want to play back the tapes of him duping money out of the Irish state and then we'll talk about mistrust?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

David when not in jail is paid by a person that has significant loans with Anglo/IBRC

This person is paying DD to aide them to shaft the Irish taxpayer

The person has links to

http://www.safwayatlantic.com

Ask Ken about this Pat

http://www.businesspost.ie/scaffolding-tycoon-michael-breslin-insists-nama-must-sue-him-in-new-york/

When nobody else is allowed to comment on the David Drumm case in the media, why are we forced to listen to this bullsh1t.

Come on Pat ask a few hard questions ffs.

Seems to me that Ken could do with a stint in a US jail to knock the bullsh1t and arrogance out of him as well. -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I'm amazed at Pat Kenny allowing this interview with Drumms brother. It could prejudice any future trial. Does he not remember the Haughey/Harney fiasco?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I'm amazed at Pat Kenny allowing this interview with Drumms brother. It could prejudice any future trial. Does he not remember the Haughey/Harney fiasco?

Maybe that's why is being aired or am I being Machiavellian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Jus us he had me almost feeling sorry for Drum. It wouldn't be that prison is not agreeing with his digestive system that he wants to come back. His brother said the US was home. Leave the bollix to rot. When (hopefully) he's convicted over there then we can prosecute the bollix.

Jus us he had me almost feeling sorry for Drum. It wouldn't be that prison is not agreeing with his digestive system that he wants to come back. His brother said the US was home. Leave the bollix to rot. When (hopefully) he's convicted over there then we can prosecute the bollix.

David drumms home was in boston and he was going home and not doing a runner. Delusion must be a Drumm family trait. What a joke of an interview. In fairness i dont think was pat buying it

I thought it was a skech on Scrap Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If you want an interviewer to ask questions you need a proper interviewer not a jumped up disc jockey.

PK is a jumped up DJ ???

PK is a jumped up DJ ???

Why, what do you see him as - the Oracle of Delphi?

No,but I would class him as an accomplished interviewer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

PK is a jumped up DJ ???
    To the best of my knowledge, Pat Kenny is one of the few presenters on radio who has NEVER been a DJ!

(Open to correction on that, obviously)

I heard the interview with Drumms brother. Was a soft interview ok,more Drumms propaganda tbh. Can't figure out why it was allowed,wonder did DoB have anything to do with it.
    Hope he gets 30 years in the clink :).

His Wiki entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Kenny mentions that he was a DJ but even if he never was I stand by my post. :D

PK is a jumped up DJ ???

DJ Plank?

neris wrote: »
    DJ Plank?

Nope that would be Duffy or D'Arcy :eek:

Nearly a million between them :confused:

• Advertisement

Pat sounds a bit rough this morning.
    I guess he enjoyed the hospitality last night.
    Or he might have a cold.

Advertisement