Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

BarryD wrote: »
    I think you could presume that she might prefer to still be alive?? And if there hadn't have been confusion and lack of action resulting from the 8th amendment, she might well still be alive?

But I guess her husband would be in best position to know and he seemed fairly sure where the problem lay.
    I thought the main cause of her death was the poor performance of health professionals in the hospital, who didn't bother checking her condition regularly enough to spot she had sepsis? Or did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I thought the main cause of her death was the poor performance of health professionals in the hospital, who didn't bother checking her condition regularly enough to spot she had sepsis? Or did I miss something?

I think you missed quite a lot actually

Callan57 wrote: »
    I think you missed quite a lot actually

Where? Isn't that the main finding of the report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Pat Kenny giving a party political broadcast on behalf of Alice Mary Higgins Seanad campaign. Who you say? She's Michael D's daughter! Of course that's nothing to do with her campaign. :rolleyes:

God, another election for failed TDs, non entities and David Norris. More snouts for the trough.

Great, just great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Pat Kenny giving a party political broadcast on behalf of Alice Mary Higgins Seanad campaign. Who you say? She's Michael D's daughter! Of course that's nothing to do with her campaign. :rolleyes:

God, another election for failed TDs, non entities and David Norris. More snouts for the trough.

Great, just great.

We had a golden opportunity to get rid of that useless pointless doss-house and the people of Ireland blew it big-time.

I hope all those who voted in favour of its retention will be happy to see the sight of all those failed TD's, that the public have clearly rejected, turning up to take their cushy Seanad seats in a couple of months.
    Michael McDowell, the most vociferous man in the campaign to retain the Seanad, has now thrown his hat in the ring for a Seanad seat.

As Joe Duffmeister would say, "Well done, well done, well done" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

We had a golden opportunity to get rid of that useless pointless doss-house and the people of Ireland blew it big-time.

Have to agree with this Harry, the gobsh1tes wanted to vote against it cos Enda Kenny was for it, instead of just getting rid of it cos it was the best decision for the country.

Seeing David Norris sipping Champagne on the front lawn celebrating their "victory" that night made me sick. I hope they are at least monitoring what exactly he is using the Seanad header paper for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I hope all those who voted in favour of its retention will be happy to see the sight of all those failed TD's, that the public have clearly rejected, turning up to take their cushy Seanad seats in a couple of months.
    Michael McDowell, the most vociferous man in the campaign to retain the Seanad, has now thrown his hat in the ring for a Seanad seat.

As Joe Duffmeister would say, "Well done, well done, well done" :rolleyes:

What makes you so bitter Hal.

You seem to have a lot of anger.

How do you see the future, lad ?

Raging against the machine?

I agree with the texters, cant believe that O'Gorman getting airtime calling for abortion again. Surely this is not what Amnesty was set up for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I agree with the texters, cant believe that O'Gorman getting airtime calling for abortion again. Surely this is not what Amnesty was set up for?

Amnesty Ireland have no credibility anymore - what with O'Gorman driving his personal agenda and their ongoing support for Ibrahim Halawa.

Amnesty Ireland have no credibility anymore - what with O'Gorman driving his personal agenda and their ongoing support for Ibrahim Halawa.

Yeah, if you look at the slider on their website, two (of the four) issues they are pushing are abortion and Ibrahim Halawa.

I'm not really sure where I stand on Halawa, I dont really buy his story that he was just walking down the street when this whole malaise befell him. A friend of mine is adamant that he was an active participant in the protests and should be treated as such.

• Advertisement

Yeah, if you look at the slider on their website, two (of the four) issues they are pushing are abortion and Ibrahim Halawa.

I'm not really sure where I stand on Halawa, I dont really buy his story that he was just walking down the street when this whole malaise befell him. A friend of mine is adamant that he was an active participant in the protests and should be treated as such.

Well, the Halawa case isn't as cut and dried as certain people want you to think. The Colonskeagh mosque is the headquarters of the European Council for Fatwa and Research which is very heavily linked to the Muslim Brotherhood. Ibrahim Halwas father Hussein Halawa is the imam there.

There is a video* floating around of Ibrahim Halawa addressing a cheering crowd onstage declaring that he is an Egytpian living abroad in Ireland but that he has come back home to stand with his (muslim) brothers and was renouncing Ireland as it was not his home (it was in Egyptian but with English subtitles). This happened before the the incident/protests that led to his and others arrests. That's why I take all the stories about a poor Irish citizen caught abroad with a pinch of salt. That's not to say that his and others treatment at the hands of the Egyptian authorities has been good, or anything like it. But then again the Irish government has gone above and beyond in their efforts to help him IMO.

*I think I saw it on a thread in politics.ie I can't remember it was exactly, but it's around.

There is a video* floating around of Ibrahim Halawa addressing a cheering crowd onstage declaring that he is an Egytpian living abroad in Ireland but that he has come back home to stand with his (muslim) brothers and was renouncing Ireland as it was not his home (it was in Egyptian but with English subtitles)

The story being broadcast in the media is that "He went to Egypt on holiday" in 2013, but that really doesn't fit with this video. I mean you dont go on holidays and then get up on stage giving speeches.

This purports to be that video. However my Arabic is not what it used to be. :( Can anybody translate?

I did a quick google and found a good timeline here.

There is a translation of the video if you scroll down. It seems I was a little wrong about what he said in the video. He describes himself as an Egyptian living in Ireland on his Facebook.

FWIW The site owner describes himself as pro Israel, so you can make your own judgement as to the translation of the video. But I'm sure there are other Arabic speakers around who could translate.

FWIW The site owner describes himself as pro Israel, so you can make your own judgement as to the translation of the video.

Yeah, I understand that. But I think the fact that they are trying to portray the visit as a "family holiday" is extremely disingenuous and indicative of the wool that is being pulled over people's eyes.

Lynn Boylan certainly buys the story hook, line and sinker. But then again, she also believes that Gerry wasnt in the RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Pat reading Ronnie Reagan's cheesey love letters... creeeepeeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

[Turns on]

Cecelia Ahern.

[Turns off]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Pat was near-frothing at the mouth reading texts about 'work-shy welfare scroungers', showing his true unpleasant colours. Might as well be listening to Niall Boylan, sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

parasite wrote: »
    Pat was near-frothing at the mouth reading texts about 'work-shy welfare scroungers', showing his true unpleasant colours. Might as well be listening to Niall Boylan, sad

I think he was spot on. He was asking serious questions about why we just accept that so many people are on welfare when we have thousands of people coming in from Eastern Europe and Asia to do jobs in supermarkets and filling stations that our welfare classes won't do. Is it that they are trapped or is it that they are happy to have someone else pick up their tab. It's totally unsustainable and finally someone is breaking from the left wing concensus in the media and is asking the hard questions. The whole only middle class "suckers" paid Water tax thing has really made people angry and could yet be a tipping point into a revolution but not the sort of revolution the likes of Paul Murphy and Brendan Ogle would like. Today's segment was tapping onto that sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

touts wrote: »
    The whole only middle class "suckers" paid Water tax thing has really made people angry and could yet be a tipping point into a revolution but not the sort of revolution the likes of Paul Murphy and Brendan Ogle would like.

You bet, I got onto my new locally elected TDs and made my views abundantly clear to them. They'd better not come around here looking for votes if they cave in to the likes that don't want to make a small contribution towards their water and sewage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

parasite wrote: »

about time someone stood up for the tax paying middle classes who are barely breaking even at months end while these leeches and parasites live a cushy lifestyle with no effort and contribute nothing back into society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I think he was spot on. He was asking serious questions about why we just accept that so many people are on welfare when we have thousands of people coming in from Eastern Europe and Asia to do jobs in supermarkets and filling stations that our welfare classes won't do. Is it that they are trapped or is it that they are happy to have someone else pick up their tab. It's totally unsustainable and finally someone is breaking from the left wing concensus in the media and is asking the hard questions. The whole only middle class "suckers" paid Water tax thing has really made people angry and could yet be a tipping point into a revolution but not the sort of revolution the likes of Paul Murphy and Brendan Ogle would like. Today's segment was tapping onto that sentiment.

It couldn't be perhaps that many employers prefer economic migrants to Irish workers - for a start they are unlikely to be bolshie and join trade unions. Of course if they did away with the dole we would all be in economic nirvana. :rolleyes:

You bet, I got onto my new locally elected TDs and made my views abundantly clear to them. They'd better not come around here looking for votes if they cave in to the likes that don't want to make a small contribution towards their water and sewage.

Me too Barry, and I would urge any of those 'idiots' who paid the water charges would let their 'reps' know in no uncertain terms that they can't shuffle away from this bill a and leave people who were compliant hanging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Do we have thousands of migrants coming over here? Didn't we experience a massive recession and huge outflows of people over the last few years.

Also it's worth remembering that during the boom time we had unemployment figures of 4%, thats technical full employment in the eyes of economists.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It couldn't be perhaps that many employers prefer economic migrants to Irish workers - for a start they are unlikely to be bolshie and join trade unions. Of course if they did away with the dole we would all be in economic nirvana. :rolleyes:

Or it could be,God forbid, that they have a work ethic which makes the business viable,and has a core of good reliable workers as opposed to jerks who seem to think they don't need to contribute in any way.

Just show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Or it could be,God forbid, that they have a work ethic which makes the business viable,and has a core of good reliable workers as opposed to jerks who seem to think they don't need to contribute in any way.

Just show up.

Will you go way out of that - you need to get out a bit. It doesn't matter how much work ethic you have if there aren't any jobs. It's only a tiny minority who choose social welfare as a lifestyle choice and not having a job has little do with having a work ethic.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Will you go way out of that - you need to get out a bit. It doesn't matter how much work ethic you have if there aren't any jobs. It's only a tiny minority who choose social welfare as a lifestyle choice and not having a job has little do with having a work ethic.

Tell me this, my friend, how come in the initial roaring of the CT thousands of Immigrants came to this island, some with little or no English,how come these people found work in restaurants, shops, filling stations, and many other places and were not a burden on the taxpayer.

I'll answer that for you, because they were able to do the jobs, were enthusiastic, weren't carrying baggage, had a modicum of customer service, but most of all they saw the job as a way forward and were majic word 'employable'

Go forking figure that out.

Tell me this, my friend, how come in the initial roaring of the CT thousands of Immigrants came to this island, some with little or no English,how come these people found work in restaurants, shops, filling stations, and many other places and were not a burden on the taxpayer.

I'll answer that for you, because they were able to do the jobs, were enthusiastic, weren't carrying baggage, had a modicum of customer service, but most of all they saw the job as a way forward and were majic word 'employable'

Go forking figure that out.

FULL EMPLOYMENT... we had FULL EMPLOYMENT... if it's not sinking in I can repeat it a third time, FULL EMPLOYMENT.

So now go figure out that, and see how it meshes with your delusions of 'work-shy layabouts'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

So now go figure out that, and see how it meshes with your delusions of 'work-shy layabouts'.

Plenty of people drawing down unemployment allowances who are not 'work-shy' per se. They take the social welfare and are quite happy to get out and work for whatever other 'cash in hand' jobs are going, whether that work is of a legal or illegal nature.

Entrepreneurial you might even call them in some ways but cheating the system and the honest taxpayers.

Plenty of people drawing down unemployment allowances who are not 'work-shy' per se. They take the social welfare and are quite happy to get out and work for whatever other 'cash in hand' jobs are going, whether that work is of a legal or illegal nature.

Entrepreneurial you might even call them in some ways but cheating the system and the honest taxpayers.

So in other words you have no answer to my question other than trying to switch the focus? Pathetic.

Keep on hating dudes.

• Advertisement

Ahh now Barry, you can't be saying stuff like that in here.

I know it's true, but,y'know solt(sic) of the earth these lads, decent skins, doin' their best and stuff.

Only problem is the forkers don't want to pay their way, want the taxpayer to prop them while they 'tip around' in the empty quarter.

Shame on you for denigrating hard working folk:D

Advertisement