Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Tell me this, my friend, how come in the initial roaring of the CT thousands of Immigrants came to this island, some with little or no English,how come these people found work in restaurants, shops, filling stations, and many other places and were not a burden on the taxpayer.

The long term unemployment rate at the time was just over 1%, or around 28,000 people. So demand outstripped supply in the labour market. Sorry if that doesn't suit your rhetoric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

So in other words you have no answer to my question other than trying to switch the focus? Pathetic.

Sorry, but what's your question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Do we have thousands of migrants coming over here? Didn't we experience a massive recession and huge outflows of people over the last few years.

Also it's worth remembering that during the boom time we had unemployment figures of 4%, thats technical full employment in the eyes of economists.

Go into any shop or restaurant and it's still quite common to be served by someone from Eastern Europe or Asia. And it's a long time 7+ years since we had full employment. Pat was asking very valid questions yesterday on why there are jobs in Ireland that are economical for people to travel from Europe or Asia to take but the Irish lad down the road claims he can't afford to take because he gets more on welfare. The case was also made by Colm McCarthy that some Irish people claim they don't have the skills to do these jobs but Pat countered that by pointing out that a few hours or at most a week's worth of "training" is all that is needed to man a till or serve a table. I think Pat should be applauded for being almost the lone voice among the left wing media establishment to ask these questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

[Turns on]

Same ****e as yesterday.

[Turns off]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

touts wrote: »
    Go into any shop or restaurant and it's still quite common to be served by someone from Eastern Europe or Asia. And it's a long time 7+ years since we had full employment. Pat was asking very valid questions yesterday on why there are jobs in Ireland that are economical for people to travel from Europe or Asia to take but the Irish lad down the road claims he can't afford to take because he gets more on welfare. The case was also made by Colm McCarthy that some Irish people claim they don't have the skills to do these jobs but Pat countered that by pointing out that a few hours or at most a week's worth of "training" is all that is needed to man a till or serve a table. I think Pat should be applauded for being almost the lone voice among the left wing media establishment to ask these questions.

And why would an employer want to take on an Irish person when he can get an immigrant he can sweat more out of? As for training - don't make me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Single immigrants and students have low overheads so can work for less and are flexible employees.

But more than that - why is Kenny's choice in musical guests always the same pained songstress type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ye haw hillybillys live in studio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

touts wrote: »
    Go into any shop or restaurant and it's still quite common to be served by someone from Eastern Europe or Asia. And it's a long time 7+ years since we had full employment. Pat was asking very valid questions yesterday on why there are jobs in Ireland that are economical for people to travel from Europe or Asia to take but the Irish lad down the road claims he can't afford to take because he gets more on welfare.

Numerous studies have shown that only 3.4% of those currently on the dole would be get more on welfare then they would if they were working full time. They would be married people with 2 or more children. If Pat claimed otherwise, then he is talking through his hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Numerous studies have shown that only 3.4% of those currently on the dole would be get more on welfare then they would if they were working full time. They would be married people with 2 or more children. If Pat claimed otherwise, then he is talking through his hole.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a rant against social welfare recipients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Don't let the facts get in the way of a rant against social welfare recipients.

Ironic when you think the vast majority of his listeners are on the dole, very few people working can listen to his show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ironic when you think the vast majority of his listeners are on the dole, very few people working can listen to his show!

Oh, I don't know, many of those posting on here during working hours seem to be captains of industry or at least that's the way they come across. I'm online from 9.00am - 11.00pm trying to make a few quid and dip in and out of Boards for a break. I can't stand PK and rarely listen to the show unless something is mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Every time Pat's off, so is Sean O'Rourke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Oh my ears. That lad can't hold a note. Where do they drag these bands from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

"How much money do they really need".

Is that the best argument that she can come up with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

"How much money do they really need".

Is that the best argument that she can come up with

Yup that's it. Also her reaction when Pat read out a text which said "just because you put something on the front page of the paper doesn't mean that anybody cares or watches it". Her reply was "how dare they."

Excellent way to argue your point there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

They should buy a windshield for that mic on Luas report, v unprofessional.

Sickening stuff here, listening to Jack O'Connor trying make analogies with Jim Connolly and the people of 1916. Jack is on well of 100K paid for by his working class members. And these Luas workers are on well over the average industrial wage, it's not like the lockout. How is allowed to get away with this sh1te?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jack O'Connor is just so punchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Sickening stuff here, listening to Jack O'Connor trying make analogies with Jim Connolly and the people of 1916. Jack is on well of 100K paid for by his working class members. And these Luas workers are on well over the average industrial wage, it's not like the lockout. How is allowed to get away with this sh1te?

The Luas drivers should be told to take a hike and the whole system should be mothballed until people come to their senses.

Oh great, "funny man" John Drennan is back. It kind of makes you wish that lucinda got elected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

What a sick twisted idiot here on PK,
    Doesn't the baby deserve the same "comforts" of dying surrounded by loved ones ??

Is she mad ?

eh ... NO .. not if it means going through all that suffering in the first place.

Pro life people are just warped sick individuals.

edit - It was Maria Steen from the IONA institute, shouldn't be surprised .

she is also against contraception - f*cking IDIOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Doesn't the baby deserve the same "comforts" of dying surrounded by loved ones ??

Is she mad ?

eh ... NO .. not if it means going through all that suffering in the first place.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Is she mad ?

They are hateful group of people. Thankfully they where put into their place over the marriage referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Anyone listening to the programme this morning? I tuned in at 10 and Pat was presenting, I turned over to Sean O'Rourke at 10:30 and when I switched back at 11:45 Shane Coleman was presenting......I hope PK is alright.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Anyone listening to the programme this morning? I tuned in at 10 and Pat was presenting, I turned over to Sean O'Rourke at 10:30 and when I switched back at 11:45 Shane Coleman was presenting......I hope PK is alright.

They were playing some sort of interview where the guest was not responding and Pat said "Will we start it again", where he proceeded to say hello to the guest, then it broke to an ad break. Very confusing, not sure what is going on.

It's a bit hard to listen to Eoin O'Broinn talking about the wrongs of MMA given what his fellow republicans did to Paul Quinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Said he was going on a mission and couldn't talk about it.

No idea.Might pop up later on somewhere.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ah, i thought i was going mad. Now I'm just intrigued:).

"you will get about 40,000 to 50,000 miles from your tyres, but it depends on the sort of mileage you're doing". Conor Faughnan.

:D

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah, i thought i was going mad. Now I'm just intrigued:).

Did we ever find out what happened?

Advertisement