Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

L1011 wrote: »
    Would have ensured full payment and probably had a huge impact on protests (harder to chant "we won't pay!" when you are). Happened with the household charge - marches, protests, etc all died off.

Revenue didn't want it, variable amounts owed every quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kazamo wrote: »
    Revenue didn't want it, variable amounts owed every quarter.

Like PAYE returns, VAT returns, etc...

Revenue didn't want it as it was collecting for a limited company rather than the state in general. I would not be surprised if unpaid bills and what replaces it in 9 months (can is kicked - that's all) are collected by Revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

L1011 wrote: »
    Like PAYE returns, VAT returns, etc...

Revenue didn't want it as it was collecting for a limited company rather than the state in general. I would not be surprised if unpaid bills and what replaces it in 9 months (can is kicked - that's all) are collected by Revenue

Can't compare the monthly P30's and vat returns of businesses with collecting the much larger volume of say 1.2m payments from individual's whose liability will likely change every three months.
    Over the past 20 years or so, Revenue have offloaded any administration with variable amounts as they didn't want the hassle. It started with tax relief on mortgages, then onto tax relief on health insurance and so on. Even the car benefit in kind admin has been offloaded.

If Revenue do start collecting water charges, it won't be by choice. This was raised before and I think the then head of Revenue was not in favour.
    They may use the excuse of collecting for a private company, but they just don't want the extra work if they can avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

First world problems this morning. Poor Iseult and her pride and joy only have "One Megabyte" broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Nice piece on those refugees, It's these genuine cases that I really hope get all the help they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Nice piece on those refugees, It's these genuine cases that I really hope get all the help they can.

Did Pat say how many refugees will be settled in Dalkey? :rolleyes:

Toastmasters club ?

Nobend club ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Did it happen in Donnybrook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Nice to hear Pat and Colm McCarthy being as condescending as ever to the 'country people'. Amazingly we use the Luas when we come to Dublin Colm, and having the benefit of eyesight, we are able to see that not all areas of Dublin are as fab and bustling as Grafton St. Amazing I know but you'd be surprised what us poor country folk notice on our exciting trips up to the Big Shmoke!!!

O'Gorman doesn't like it when he's not getting it all his own way, does he.

• Advertisement

Pro lifers are awful people.

They don't have to have an abortion if the 8th is repealed ..they will have the CHOICE not to!!!

No one will force it on them!

Unlike now where a woman is FORCED not to have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

O'Gorman doesn't like it when he's not getting it all his own way, does he.

Would you blame him when he has to debate with the likes of the iona institute. Such a hateful group.

Would you blame him when he has to debate with the likes of the iona institute. Such a hateful group.

Yep, Maria Steen is a nasty little piece of work, she also uses an extreme example of a Polish baby that survived an abortion and died alone in a hospital - this baby was obviously really far into term, no pro choice person would agree with a late term abortion like this .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Pro lifers are awful people.

They don't have to have an abortion if the 8th is repealed ..they will have the CHOICE not to!!!

No one will force it on them!

Unlike now where a woman is FORCED not to have one.

"Repeal the Eighth" is just an empty soundbite. What exactly is put in its place? Not everybody who wants repeal of the Eighth Amendment is in favour of unrestricted abortion, apart from the usual media loudmouths.

"Repeal the Eighth" is just an empty soundbite. What exactly is put in its place? Not everybody who wants repeal of the Eighth Amendment is in favour of unrestricted abortion, apart from the usual media loudmouths.

What did I do. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What did I do. :(

Doesn't matter...bend over and prepare to be REPEALED :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where the hell does Pat Kenny find thee trite shoe gazer singer/songwriters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Pat has some Texan on reading the news. He's struggling with the pronunciation of a lot of Irish surnames amongst other things. It's very weird.

I only caught part of it, I assume he's a guest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Pat has some Texan on reading the news. He's struggling with the pronunciation of a lot of Irish surnames amongst other things. It's very weird.

Yeah, he was on from 11.45 or so.
    Very peculiar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Some C&W singer whom I've never heard of in my sheltered existence :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

For an educated and mostly well spoken man, I really do not understand why he chooses to put on the D4 affectation. Infuriating listening to what is otherwise composed, balanced, informative broadcasting.

Canadel wrote: »
    For an educated and mostly well spoken man, I really do not understand why he chooses to put on the D4 affectation. Infuriating listening to what is otherwise composed, balanced, informative broadcasting.

He occasionally throws in condescending and patronising tones for free too. ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Canadel wrote: »
    His pronunciation of LIDL (Lie - dil) and Aldi (ALL di) is so forced its almost cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

koutoubia wrote: »
    His pronunciation of LIDL (Lie - dil) and Aldi (ALL di) is so forced its almost cringeworthy.
    Yeah, I listened to a short segment on the grocery sector a week or two ago and had to switch over. "ALL-di" wasn't even what annoyed me most. That may genuinely be the way he pronounces it. "Grew-ceries" was the problem. There is no way a well spoken person with proper enunciation instinctively says "Grew-ceries" instead of "Gro-ceries".

I mean, it doesn't devalue his credibility as a broadcaster, or the importance of what he says. But it's annoying to anyone who really could not give a sh*t about South County Dublin and the expectations of certain circles based there. Tuthfully it's just rather pathetic carry on from a middle aged man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

BarryD wrote: »
    Some C&W singer whom I've never heard of in my sheltered existence :)

Me neither but I did learn that he is a Republican (maybe that's mandatory if you're from Texas?), supports the right to bear arms (like guns and stuff not an actual bear's right to have arms), thinks Sandyhook wouldn't have been as bad if the teachers and other school staff had brought their guns to school with them that day and is also a good friend of the Donald.
    It was a peculiar guest slot I thought.

It was a peculiar guest slot I thought.

Getting him to read the news, complete with smart ar$e remarks, was completely inappropriate. Especially given the lead story was about that EgyptAir crash.

thinks Sandyhook wouldn't have been as bad if the teachers and other school staff had brought their guns to school with them that day

Because...... 'Murica

Getting him to read the news, complete with smart ar$e remarks, was completely inappropriate. Especially given the lead story was about that EgyptAir crash.

I was quite surprised by it. Has he (Kenny) ever done that before? As in allowed a guest to read the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

koutoubia wrote: »

What is THAT about?? His ego, I imagine!! Lidl have even joked about the manner in which some Irish mispronounce their name. On April Fool's Day they announced that they were changing from Leed-l to Lid-l to make it easier for people to say it!! Not content with his hacking of the aforementioned name, he is now calling Aldi 'Alldi'!!

• Advertisement

brooke 2 wrote: »
    What is THAT about?? His ego, I imagine!! Lidl have even joked about the manner in which some Irish mispronounce their name. On April Fool's Day they announced that they were changing from Leed-l to Lid-l to make it easier for people to say it!! Not content with his hacking of the aforementioned name, he is now calling Aldi 'Alldi'!!
    The Irish pronunciation is pretty close to the way Germans and Austrians pronounce it, and is the same as in their own TV ads.

The UK have gone their own way pronouncing it Lidell* and Oldee and the TV ads there seem to reflect this.

It seems Pat has started to ape those mispronunciations.
    * Lidell not Leedell

Advertisement