Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

brooke 2 wrote: »
    What is THAT about?? His ego, I imagine!! Lidl have even joked about the manner in which some Irish mispronounce their name. On April Fool's Day they announced that they were changing from Leed-l to Lid-l to make it easier for people to say it!! Not content with his hacking of the aforementioned name, he is now calling Aldi 'Alldi'!!

Can never quite figure out why people slag off certain radio presenters accents and turns of phrase. As long as same are talking the way they normally would in everyday speech and not being pretentious when on the air waves, that's fine by me.

Would you really prefer some sort of Received English pronunciation, like they had in the early days of RTE? Or maybe some standardised Athlone accent to suit all?

If Pat wants to talk in a south Dublin kinda way and that's what he normally does, well grand. And if Joe Duffy wants to be Ballyfermot and that's how he normally speaks, well also fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

That Andrea Gilligan is painful to listen to. Her news bulletins are brutal.

Nobody talks like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

BarryD wrote: »
    Can never quite figure out why people slag off certain radio presenters accents and turns of phrase. As long as same are talking the way they normally would in everyday speech and not being pretentious when on the air waves, that's fine by me.

Would you really prefer some sort of Received English pronunciation, like they had in the early days of RTE? Or maybe some standardised Athlone accent to suit all?

If Pat wants to talk in a south Dublin kinda way and that's what he normally does, well grand. And if Joe Duffy wants to be Ballyfermot and that's how he normally speaks, well also fine.

Barry, re. Joe - have you ever heard his accent change when he's talking to a "posh" person, a person with an upper class English accent or a doctor? Then we get posh Joe (an oxymoron if ever there was one).

This from the guy who asked a caller from Limerick "is that your real accent?".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

The Irish pronunciation is pretty close to the way Germans and Austrians pronounce it, and is the same as in their own TV ads.

The UK have gone their own way pronouncing it Leedell and Oldee and the TV ads there seem to reflect this.

It seems Pat has started to ape those mispronunciations.

Ian Dempsey on the Lidl ads pronounces it as Leed-l. So does the lady who is on the latest one in which we are told we can get our shopping for half price,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That Andrea Gilligan is painful to listen to. Her news bulletins are brutal.

Nobody talks like that..

Noel Fogarty late night on Radio One takes some beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

The point is that the specific south Dublin accent Pat puts on at times is not normal. It's an affectation and entirely unnatural. As a well spoken and eloquent individual there really is no excuse for him pronouncing some words the way he does other than him being a total fool. It's embarassing.

He's a good presenter otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Noel Fogarty late night on Radio One takes some beating.

this probably should be posted on the unpopular beliefs thread but Tony Fenton sounded like a pretentious w**ker and would send you to sleep with the content of his waffle. The adulation for the man since his death has been both nauseating and mystifying in equal measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

this probably should be posted on the unpopular beliefs thread but Tony Fenton sounded like a pretentious w**ker and would send you to sleep with the content of his waffle. The adulation for the man since his death has been both nauseating and mystifying in equal measure.

But he used to play TOP RECKIRDS......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Am not talking about accents! Just mispronunciations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

The Irish pronunciation is pretty close to the way Germans and Austrians pronounce it, and is the same as in their own TV ads.

The UK have gone their own way pronouncing it Lidell* and Oldee and the TV ads there seem to reflect this.

It seems Pat has started to ape those mispronunciations.
    * Lidell not Leedell

any excuse to bump this.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

"Just happened to have the wrong name"

I'm not sure I agree with the tone of this conversation. At the end of the day, it's not just because of his name, it's because his relations were involved in serious crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Must call my local councilor and tell him I'm afraid and went to move. I know what I would be told. This guy is the Hutches best mate..

"Just happened to have the wrong name"

I'm not sure I agree with the tone of this conversation. At the end of the day, it's not just because of his name, it's because his relations were involved in serious crime.

Not just his relations either. He himself was a known criminal.

Also the Monk's brother was found to have hundreds of thousands of crime proceeds in his account. His sons are also involved in crime. Not as innocent as that politician is trying to paint him.

Does anybody actually care whether one bunch of scumbags wipes out another bunch of scumbags. I welcome it personally.

Not just his relations either. He himself was a known criminal.

I didnt realise that he was a criminal himself until it was texted in. That politician chap seemed to think he was Mother Theresa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I didnt realise that he was a criminal himself until it was texted in. That politician chap seemed to think he was Mother Theresa.

If his name wasn't Hutch would councilor do good be as eager to help ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Sick and tired of listening to these fat and sugar fascists who are constantly being given an outlet on TV and radio. When I was going to school, you could bring in a can of coke and a chocolate bar for the 11 o'clock break, you could go to the chipper at lunchtime and nobody batted an eyelid. There was even a shop down the road that sold loose fags for 8 pence. We've turned into a nation of puritanical pedants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Canadel wrote: »
    The point is that the specific south Dublin accent Pat puts on at times is not normal. It's an affectation and entirely unnatural. As a well spoken and eloquent individual there really is no excuse for him pronouncing some words the way he does other than him being a total fool. It's embarassing.

Is it normal for Pat though? That's the question. Does he talk like that in normal everyday life?

My impression is that his accent has changed a bit since he moved from RTE to Newstalk, but I could be wrong.

There is a kinda Newstalk way of speaking, maybe that's what you mean and he's moved towards that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Sick and tired of listening to these fat and sugar fascists who are constantly being given an outlet on TV and radio. When I was going to school, you could bring in a can of coke and a chocolate bar for the 11 o'clock break, you could go to the chipper at lunchtime and nobody batted an eyelid. There was even a shop down the road that sold loose fags for 8 pence. We've turned into a nation of puritanical pedants.

Yet for all this food fascism and pedantry Ireland is to the fore of EU nations for high rates of obesity and diabetes.
    All those junk food options you mention are rightly discouraged these days, but I haven't seen anyone banning them - even for children..
    As for selling fags to children ... well, I opt for the "puritanical" approach on that one.

I didn't hear Pat's report, but I'm going to guess the topic was the recent report undermining the current obsession with a low-fat and low cholesterol diet. This report is newsworthy because the implication is that over-consumption of sugar - not fat - is the real killer.
    Very important that the public hear this message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

What is John Drennan doing now that he has left Renua? Will he be back in the Sindo after a suitable spell of decontamination?

Gas to hear himself and Pat scoffing about the 'new politics' and what a shambles it is, when the 'new politics' of Renua were so heartily rejected by the electorate in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yet for all this food fascism and pedantry Ireland is to the fore of EU nations for high rates of obesity and diabetes.
    All those junk food options you mention are rightly discouraged these days, but I haven't seen anyone banning them - even for children..
    As for selling fags to children ... well, I opt for the "puritanical" approach on that one.

I didn't hear Pat's report, but I'm going to guess the topic was the recent report undermining the current obsession with a low-fat and low cholesterol diet. This report is newsworthy because the implication is that over-consumption of sugar - not fat - is the real killer.

At this stage there is nothing left to criticise due to political correctness. Race, creed, gender, where you live, what you work at or not. And so on.

So those who like sweet things, and smokers are the only legitimate targets left. And it is full on now.

Sad isn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Nope, it was to do with a loony plan in Wicklow to set up so-called "no-fry zones" which would prevent fast food outlets from setting up too close to schools.

Nope, it was to do with a loony plan in Wicklow to set up so-called "no-fry zones" which would prevent fast food outlets from setting up too close to schools.

Many UK councils already impose similar restrictions, so maybe not so looney. No idea if it has the desired affect. If little Johnny can't access the chipper at lunch-time maybe -just maybe- he'll have something healthier. I suspect he'll get his ration of turkey twizzlers regardless.

At this stage there is nothing left to criticise due to political correctness. Race, creed, gender, where you live, what you work at or not. And so on.

So those who like sweet things, and smokers are the only legitimate targets left. And it is full on now.

Sad isn't it.

Political Correctness? Targets for criticism? Jeez! I'm talking about public health information.
    We've had decades of low-fat, low cholestorol dietary advice - exploited by the food processors. Now it's being revealed to be misguided. That's a good thing.
    If you want sugar, no one is stopping you; quite the opposite in fact.

Radio5 wrote: »
    What is John Drennan doing now that he has left Renua? Will he be back in the Sindo after a suitable spell of decontamination?

I was more than surprised to hear him back on the radio so soon. The guy is not funny, and he needs to stop thinking that he is. And I think the "joking" that he was having at the expense of elected politicians was a bit ridiculous, given that these elected politicians beat all of his team.

He's the sort of guy that would make you consider bringing in a license for similes and metaphors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jays the suns out for two minutes and pats doing a bit on skin cancer already !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I was more than surprised to hear him back on the radio so soon. The guy is not funny, and he needs to stop thinking that he is. And I think the "joking" that he was having at the expense of elected politicians was a bit ridiculous, given that these elected politicians beat all of his team.

He's the sort of guy that would make you consider bringing in a license for similes and metaphors.

He's like one of those old guys Joe has on Funny Fiday .. the ones that laugh at their own jokes and everyone else cringes with embarrassment. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

jays the suns out for two minutes and pats doing a bit on skin cancer already !

Sat here now scared to go outside. Thanks Pat!

The Hutch's best mate Cllr Ring onto Pat again.

John Drennon commented that "the only" politician that was there was Thomas Pringle. If he had had anybody elected in the last election, I'd doubt he would have been there himself.

Newstalk seem to be throwing him a bone since his foray into political management failed.

• Advertisement

Bunch of headwreckers talking about leaving cert. They are comedians???

Advertisement